Register now to get rid of these ads!

6/71 rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yule16met, May 10, 2009.

1. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

I got this blower for extreemly cheap and I didnt know a thing about it. I asked about 100 questions and I think I am finally ready to use it. Here is the rebuild that I did on my blower. You can get a complete rebuild kit or "conversion kit" on ebay from Dean. I got the 6/71 kit with gaskets and the "best" bearings and seals. He has different levels of quality aparently. Mine was about $80 shipped.

heres my fact finding mission thread.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351358

[​IMG]
    First I needed to pin the rotors at the drive end. This is to keep the rotor timed on the shaft in case of a backfire.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I drilled undersize and reamed, but I am not sure that was nesesary. Just habit.
    I went to fastenall and got some 2in 1/4in dowel pins and cut them to the length I needed.
    [​IMG]
    Here is one of the pinns installed, I carefully pounded the soft aluminum down around the top of the pin so it will NEVER come out. Make sure to sink your pin down into the rotor so you can have enough material to peen over.
    [​IMG]
    Next I installed the rotors in the case and installed the "wedding rings", these give the new seals a clean surface to seal against. I made some tools on the lathe real quick to help install the rings and the bearings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Make sure that the missing spline sections are facing to 3 o'clock/ or to your right. Theres a missing spline on both shafts

[​IMG]
    The rotors will have Upper and Lower stamped into the top of the 3'oclock rotor lobe on the drive end. the lower goes on the left
    [​IMG]
    Install the seals into both end plates.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Add a bead of high temp RTV around the outer edge of the end plates and instal them. There are two countersunk holes for assembly that you should use. I realized too late that I didnt have these screws with my setup. I used 4 bolts to hold the plate down as the RTV setup.
    [​IMG]
    Install the bearings front and rear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Install the bearing keepers into the front cover. REMEMBER, YOU ARE WORKING WITH ALUMINUM. DONT OVER TIGHTEN
    This is the time to add your shims. I did not disassemble my blower so I had to play with my shim location. REMEMBER where your sims were when you dissasemble. And put them back in the same spot.
    [​IMG]
    install your gears remebering the missing splines on the rotoe shafts. It takes a little time to get it right but it should go on pretty smooth if you get it right. put the bolts in and tighten down.
    [​IMG]
    Check your gap between the rotors. This is tricky to do, its hard to get the feeler in there. check the ends for gaps. I ended up with the smallest clearance at .009 and I might play around more with the shims because I still hear a little contact but I cant find it with the feeler gage.
    The smallest you would want is about .007. Someone else might have a better informatio. I guess if it is .008 or larger you can limp home if there is a blower issue.
    [​IMG]
    Snout adaptor.
    [​IMG]
    Front cover. This uses a gasket.
    [​IMG]
    Drive snout and tri plate cover. With gaskets.
    [​IMG]
    Put the rest of your goodies on. Make sure to use a screen type gasket above the blower to save yourself in case you drop a washer down the carb.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

another excelent tech piece that deserves another read

3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure how this one slipped by...

Exellent tech and nice work. The guy you got your bearings from, Rick Dean is a GREAT guy and about the most knowledgeable blower guy you will ever find. If you ever need parts, service or advise, give him a call.

Have you tried this thing out yet???

-Abone.

4. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

Didnt know that there were that much work to make them happend.
    God to know.thanks

5. 1oldrat

1oldrat

Good to know.I'm going to look at a Cragar 671 tomorrow.

6. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Great Tech! Thanks for that!

Total Perf-

7. hipster

hipster

Great post, thanks!!
    How'd this run, is it still alive?

8. frank spittle

frank spittle

BTT. Another great read with more photos.

akoutlaw and Deuces like this.