Register now to get rid of these ads!

ISO a long lost east coast car,BlueBird '33 .ATTN Safariknut

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by general gow, Nov 22, 2004.

1. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

So with all these great photos of east coast hot rods I was hoping someone has pics of one of my favorite cars of all time.

It was known as the Dick Morse coupe or the Blue Bird Special, run at various New England drags by Skip Lajoie and Ed Redding.

In Dick Morse form it was unchopped, channeled with a '39 truck grille up front. Originally it ran a flathead, then later a Small Block Chev, I think.

In Lajoie Redding Blue Bird form it got chopped, and ran a T-Bird 312 Y-block with a '37 Desoto grille. It was a seriously cool car that had pretty good success in Blue Bird form.

This car is shown in Cool Cars Square Roll Bars, which of course as the young respectful New England hot rod enthusiast, I have. There is one photo of each rendition in there. But I want more!

Stogy likes this.
  2. I don't have any personal photos of the car although I always thought it was one of the nicest looking coupes around.I know I have SEVERAL magazines that it was in(including HRM).Let me see if I can find them.

Stogy likes this.
  3. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Yeah! Thanks Ray. My dream is to build something similar to it. A tribute more than a copy. Much like the '39 truck grille is used to pay homage to some of the early cars, not the least of which is the Bannister roadster. Now, I just need to find a 37 Desoto grille for wall hanging inspiration (hmmmm).

Stogy likes this.
  4. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

bttt for the late risers.

Stogy likes this.

5. I'll do some asking next time I'm around the people who would know....
    I haven't seen Dick in a few years....He may even be the one to ask.

6. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Thanks, Richie, that would rock. [​IMG]

7. Skip is an active member of the Ty-rods and lives in Concord,Mass.

8. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Is that the Dick Morse that was a bud of Sam TOHRJ Samson. He still crews on the Samson Coupe at B'ville every year?????

Bob

9. glassguy

glassguy

hey general... im sorry to break the news to ya .. but here it is now, got these pics last night at the all timers show in haverhill ma.
    this is what has becme of the blue bird :( but at least it still lives ..dave

Attached Files:

10. glassguy

glassguy

bttt for those that missed the update

11. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Really? That's it? Man, it needs to be rescued. I wonder what ever happened to the Desoto grille it used to sport.

Maybe someday I'll have money, and that guy will need money...

At least it isn't pushin' up daisies somewhere.

Stogy likes this.
  12. Some more history- A guy from Groton MA. named Davey Jones owned the car in the early 70's and would gas up at my dads Sunoco in Pepperell MA.It looked pretty much the same in 1971. About 1973 my friend Dennis Slocomb bought it.At the time preservation wasn't a big consideration.He has changed it around several times through the years and still owns it.He still owns the grill and hood and has painted them the 50's color and put them on a stand in his garage and will not sell them.

Stogy likes this.
  13. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Ahh, then there is hope...

If he decides to sell it in say, 15 years, I get dibs!

Stogy likes this.
  14. And if you do not know the Blue Bird, here is a pic -

[​IMG]

I too would like to see more pics of this car in this configuration!!

15. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX