Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Lonestar Roundup Film Coverage (late, but worth the wait)...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hankcash, Apr 28, 2009.

1. hankcash

hankcash

Well... I've made the Roundup EVERY year since the beginning and this year did not dissapoint. It's always great to see my extended family if only once a year.

As some of you know, I like to "play" with toy cameras, plastic cameras, vintage cameras, expired film and anything else having to do with what I call "punk rock photography".
    This year I ended up shooting 5 rolls of expired film goodness thru some of the cheapest, crappiest cameras ever made. The result? Some of the best pics EVER!
    I always love the unpredictability of crappy cameras and expired film... you never know what you will end up with. Again... this is all film shot thru cheap, plastic cameras with little to NO on-board adjustments (focus, shutter speed, f-stop... nothin').
    You just "guess, click and pray".
    - The rectangle pics were taken with a $10 plastic 35mm Vivitar that my film-nerd buddy Sean (Fatlucky) gave me a couple of months back. There is absolutley ZERO adjustments onboard and it even has a fixed focus (focal length is unknown).
    - The square pics were taken with a plastic 120 (medium format) Russian Holga camera that has a fixed shutter speed, f-stop and the focus is all a guessing game since you can't look thru the lens during shooting.

So, on to the pics.
    I've selected some of my favorites out of the 5 rolls for this post.
    Enjoy...

hc

p.s. If anyone took photos of me and the boys (High School Caesar) playing at the Cont. Club Friday nite... please email them to me [email protected] - Thanks!

I left the sprocket holes on this one because I like the "burnt edges" from the roll end...
    [​IMG]

I set the camera in the water (remember it's a cheap, plastic camera) to get this shot
    [​IMG]

Fairlane Dave's wife Amy and Dixie the weenie
    [​IMG]

Someone's dog and Fairlane Dave in the background
    [​IMG]

Bad-ass dash and interior
    [​IMG]

One day, I will own an Apache. LOVE this one...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some lucky guy's gal
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Greg (Rough Stock). Hopefully's Phil's head is in his lap...
    [​IMG]

"Little Johnny Watkins"
    [​IMG]

Good Lord, Mr. Ford
    [​IMG]

Rob's truck
    [​IMG]

Evel and Bob's dumb cars
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

'Don't come a knockin'
    [​IMG]

Posting more below...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Nice "junk"!@

3. hankcash

hankcash

[​IMG]

Gayness on wheels...
    [​IMG]

Cool sun flare
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My ol' lady and Nicole
    [​IMG]

Tara
    [​IMG]

"Ill equipped"
    [​IMG]

Mr. Ford
    [​IMG]

Ryan Cochran
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Double exposure (opening the shutter twice without advancing film)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amanda
    [​IMG]

S. Congres late Sat nite
    [​IMG]

Managed to get club sign in this one...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike and Nicole Shea
    [​IMG]

4. hankcash

hankcash

I posted my digital minibike pics in a seperate thread last week... Hopefully most of you had a chance to take a look at them.

I thought I'd throw in one digital pic on this thread so everyone can be jealous of Greg (Rough Stock)...

The wonderful Phil DeVine:
    [​IMG]

That's all...

hc

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Very cool images. There is just a great deal of personality in those shots, and definitely separates itself from the rest.

6. 214Gearjammer

214Gearjammer
    from Dallas, TX

Great shots, HankCash. You're right --they are well worth the wait. What are the odds of getting that one with the CC sign in the background? CLASSIC!
    Too much fun at HSC this year to take pictures but my wife has some from last year I will email you.
    Eddy and Jill from Dallas

7. hankcash

hankcash

That's what I love about film and crappy cams... the soul and personality stays intact as opposed to digital. Also, it challenges me as a photographer to step outside the boundaries of digital (even though I learned on film).
    It's nice to go back home to your roots... reminds me of being back in the darkroom with my dad.

hc

8. Loppy

Loppy

Beautiful work. Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

9. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Really nice stuff, I love how its still possible to get very unique shots without a computer.

10. synthsis

synthsis

I've got 30 rolls of expired 120 on the way. I can't wait to throw them in my YashicaD, Argus Seventy-Five, and original Diana. Your shots came out great. Do you do your own processing or send it out?

11. I like em! Nice way of shootin'

12. hankcash

hankcash

Why don't you send that 120 directly to me?
    Oh, and I'll take the original Diana also...

I am lucky enough to have a local lab that does "process only / un-cut" developing for me.
    Then I just scan in with my nifty film scanner and I'm done.
    It's the only way to go.

I have a changing bag, daylight tanks and all the chemicals to do B&W, but lately it just seems like a pain.

You can see more of my plastic cam stuff on my site, www.monstrosityfoto.com and/or Flikr, Toycamera.com & Myspace.
    Do you have your stuff up somewhere?

thanks!

hc

13. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Nice..like the blk and white!

14. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I like the Gayness on wheels......

Thanks for being a big HOMO...

15. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Very cool. . .

16. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

While we're on the topic of old cameras... I love old photography but don't know dick about it. I've got an old Polaroid Land Camera that's in mint, maybe used once shape. I wanna say it's an A model, but it's not right in front of me and is up in my living room on display... Where the heck can I get film for it?

I went to some supposedly "know it all about anything related to cameras" place in downtown Austin and they laughed me out of the store when I asked them if they knew of a source for film.

Any help would be much appreciated, i've been wanting to fire off a few rounds with that beast since I was kid. My grandparents bought it new and literally never used it.

17. neat photos.

Years ago, when I was in college, I studied photography and actually wound up with a 4 year degree in photography. Not that that means much, but I did learn some cool techniques. One of themost enjoyable classes I took was a class called "Experimental Black and White Photography" where we were encouraged to try stuff like you're doing, and even received college credit for it.

Sadly, I don't do much with photography anymore other than digital, but I've still got all my old equipment up in my attic along with boxes of expired film and some expired paper dating back to the mid 60's. Perhaps I'll dig that crap out someday when life slows down a bit and play around with it.

Great to see you're thinking "outside the box" and producing some beautiful images.

18. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Me thinks I remember, that the Polaroid film went out of production, early
    last year.................Correct me if I am right.

19. hankcash

hankcash

Has the film been exposed to hot/cold - damp/dry conditions over the years?
    Hopefully not...

hc

20. Ron

Ron

Cool stuff, I have a bunch out of date 120 film in my freezer as well. I have a
    Argus 75, Yashica D, Mamiya c330, Kodak 620 folder, Holga, and a pile of 35mm stuff(that I don't really use) and dslr stuff.

Here is the folder paid 12 bux for it.
    http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL827/1436522/12919447/360324999.jpg

Here some pix with it
    http://picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/21844470

Here is some stuff from the C330 and the Yashica
    http://picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20667435
    http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL827/1436522/9721386/326038118.jpg

What kind of film was the color you used?
    I have been wanting to order some of the new Kodak Ektar 100.

21. cracker head

cracker head

hankcash is so dreamy!!!

22. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Ah man... that would really suck. I've got several old primitive box cameras with no adjustments on them I want to shoot some pics with too... I was told I could modify more modern film to work in those though.

What type of film that may be... no friggin' clue. lol...

23. hankcash

hankcash

SOL with the land camera film...
    However, you can convert those cameras to accept current production film (possibly 120).
    Keep in mind that it's a pretty tedius process and the end results are not always as desired.
    Just do a Google search for "Poloroid Land Camera conversion" and you'll find some step-by-step instructions.

By the way... I made a camera out of Legos!

hc

Attached Files:

24. those are some great shots man!

25. hankcash

hankcash

Most box cameras take 120, 620 or 127 film.
    120 is still produced (as used in my square Holga pics above) and you can even spool 120 film onto 620 spools in a darkroom (or changing bag).

I even shove 35mm film in some of my 120 cameras (slight modification needed) so that the film is exposed outside the sprocket holes... like the pics below.
    Punk rock!

hc

Attached Files:

26. hankcash

hankcash

Color was expired (Jan 97) 35mm Scotch Chrome/3M color slide, 100iso film.
    About as shitty of film as you can find and I've got a whole brick of it in the fridge...
    I love it!

hc

27. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to swing by wally world this weekend and pick up some film... wish me luck... I don't know crap!

Oh, and any tips you could give me on how to shoot with an non adjustable box camera would be awesome too. Just some basic "Do's & Dont's"... or other little things you've learned over the years would be a great help to me. I know it'll take a bit of experimenting but I just don't want to burn through multiple rolls of film because I messed up something really basic. :D

28. hankcash

hankcash

All you will find at Wal-Mart is 35mm.
    If you want 120 film, you'll have to order it online (there might be a camera shop in Austin that sells 120... ask fatluckys.

Also... do some searching on youtube for instructions on how to convert 120 cameras (Holgas) to accept 35mm film. It's actually pretty easy to do.

There a TON of great stuff online... just search "Toy Cameras" and/or medium format photography.

hc

29. hankcash

hankcash

Nice pics by the way...
    Oh, and one of my favorite cameras in my collection is a folding Ansco Viking circa 1952.
    It takes insane pics!
    Here's a pic of the Ansco as well as a couple taken with it at last year's Primered Nats:

Keep shooting that film!

hc

Attached Files:

30. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Man I need to get one of those punk ass Cameras..... You make pretty pictures.