Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Progress is a beautiful thing - 53 Olds 4 to 2 door conversion PAINT and Chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53choptop, Apr 27, 2009.

1. 53choptop

53choptop

Well after years of working on the Olds its finally looking like what I envisioned.

Bought it when I was in high school from my best friends dad, we use to play in it when we were in elementary school and I always told my friends dad I was going to buy it off of him when I grew up....I did.

It started its life as a 4 door and I always wanted a Kustom, but a 4 door was not going to cut it, so I decided to tackle the conversion, 9 years ago, this was PRE-HAMB for me at least, so I was doing this on just drawings and daily space outs at work and Tex Smiths How to Build Custom Cars book.... What an adventure, I cant wait to drive the wheels off of this thing.

Still finishing up the details, upholstery, glass, mount new tires, etc but she is a solid driver.

2007:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-s-Yia0t8I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-s-Yia0t8I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2008:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tuPiJHCPY_g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tuPiJHCPY_g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2009:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FfZ3E8yiPkA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FfZ3E8yiPkA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bGVMHEGA26M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bGVMHEGA26M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Wow! What a transformation. I love the color, what is it from?

3. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Damn that's a great transformation. Looks like great work and love the color. Stock drivetrain ?? Hell, it doesn't matter, great looking car

4. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Nice job, car look gorgeous! You scared me with the thread title though...thought you made a 4 door from a 2 door!

5. Squablow

Squablow

Chopped, hardtopped, and made into a 2 door. This car has doors from a convertible, right? I remember that being an odd-luck score to find convertible doors. Looks great with paint on it.

Are you planning to run caps on it? Or?

6. 53choptop

53choptop

Holy Crap, "2 to 4 door conversion...." that would be crazy...changed it.

7. 53choptop

53choptop

Thanks guys.

Funny thing about the color i had no idea what color is was going to be until that day; which by the way was painted on the Friday of the Round Up.

I originally was just going to re-primer it black and drive it, my buddy Milo who helped paint it said HELL NO, I'll bring some of my left over paint and other materials from home and we'll give it some color, he's a pro painter, so he drove up from South Texas to prep and paint my car. I told him I wasn't ready to pay for a full paint job, his words "who said you were paying" :D

From all the paints he brought my wife picked this one. Went to the Carquest on 5th street (thanks Lux) bought some clear, some HOK gold flake and other materials and BAM.

The color is a Chrysler Indy Metalic Red and the Flake is a micro HOK gold flake. It wasn't even planned like that, gold was the only color he had in stock. This paint really pops in the sunlight.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  8. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

Man... looks great!!!

9. shainerman

shainerman

beautiful car. I agree with everyone, the color is perfect. Congrats on a great job, you should be proud.

10. thads31

thads31

You've got a great car and a great friend. nice work.

11. 53choptop

53choptop

Thanks guys, as far as caps go I am planning on running the original Olds caps with bullet centers. Though I was going to cut a corner with just running it in black primer I am glad I was talked out of it (didn't take much for sure)

With the amount of work involved in this thing, it does not make sense to postpone the inevitable. Besides as my buddy calls it this is just driver paint.....

Details:
    Suspension is stock car had 80,000 miles when I got it
    Doors off of a 53 Olds Convertible
    Front Sheet metal off of a 52 Olds, there is a major difference between 53 and 52, learned that the hard way
    Fresh 307 Olds engine
    New 350 BOP Trans
    Smoothed out the firewall
    Fabricated new motor and trans mounts
    Scarebird disc brake kit
    Relocated brake booster to firewall
    All new brake parts/hardware
    All new brake and fuel lines
    new gas tank
    new aluminum radiator

I wanted a reliable cruiser.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Cool -- great transformation! I didn't even notice the flake in the first photo, but the one showing the reflection from the hood looks great!

Congrats - hope you drive the wheels off it!

Malcolm

13. looks killer! is that the same car? :):):) you remember mine don't you? man now i got to work on mine more.

14. DRD57

DRD57

It looks great.

You don't by any chance have another one of those grille bars do you?

15. Excellent!!!!!

16. 53choptop

53choptop

Yeah 53, it is the same car.

I don't have one. This one is pitted and hopefully when i send it off to get it chromes they will smooth it out.

Rey

17. 53choptop

53choptop

This was the scariest part of the build, no bracing, no direction, minimal measurements, look at what was holding up the top, I look back at these pics and cringe. I had to go back a few months later and redo everything, braced everything, squared everything up, grind down and reweld some of the "impatient welds" I had to fix alot of the mistakes. It was a nightmare.

I hated this car.

Lesson learned.

Attached Files:

18. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Wow! it really looks great, can't wait to see the finished product!

19. Man, that looks great! Nice color, what happened to the Supremes?

20. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

Wow Rey that looks awesome!

21. 53choptop

53choptop

Thanks, still thrashing on it, the details are killers. Cant wait to ge the new WW and caps on it.....after thinking about it kinda leaning towards caddy caps.

Sold the supremes, those things were not meant for a car this big, those are 14's and they look puny, the black stains on the rear whitewall was the scraping of the rear lip.

Thanks BD

22. A BEAUTIFUL Job, Very Well Done!!!!

23. 57J2

57J2

Your Olds is looking Great !!! Is the area where the old back doors were off the convertible as well ?

24. 53choptop

53choptop

Thanks!

What I did was move the pillar back, skinned the rear door and used that as the panel to fill in the rear portion.

[​IMG]

25. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

you did a great job! worked out pretty well with the paint i'd say...

26. 53choptop

53choptop

Quick update, this is the car at the DOD. Caps, WW and sideglass.

Thanks to The Fidgiter for taking these pics, he did a great job covering the Day of the Drags in his post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  27. Squablow

Squablow

Looks slick all buttoned up with side glass in it. There's a couple of these that just hit a local junkyard near me if you're looking for any little finishing trinkets.

28. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

Hats off to you man!

29. pontiac

pontiac

That's awesome... great work!

30. Beautiful Car ! Lots of great metalwork and everything came out perfectly...Hats off to You !!