Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Smurf's 39 Chevy Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PAPASMURF, Apr 21, 2009.

1. PAPASMURF

PAPASMURF

Figure I will start one of these so here it goes.

Its a 1939 Chevy. Im stripping it of the cab, box, steering column and dropping it on my a frame with all ford suspension.

Plans:

Motor: 350 or 383
    Trans:350
    Wheels/tires: chromies with wide whites. 6.00 in front 8.20's in back.
    Frame: Bleed Sweed and a mild kick up.
    Paint: Blue Suede with a cream whitewall.
    Interior: Cream vinyl.
    Era Build: 60's

2. PAPASMURF

PAPASMURF

3. PAPASMURF

PAPASMURF

Here is the front end I am using. Model A, 4" Socal Beam (looks like a 32 heavy). Ford F-100 brakes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  4. PAPASMURF

PAPASMURF

This is how far i am into my Teardown. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009

5. PAPASMURF

PAPASMURF

Can't get the f-ing cab off the frame. Any tips or help would be appreciated. I can pay with Pizza and beer.

6. kelzweld

kelzweld

You got all the mounting bolts out? Loose the running boards, steering column and box, and the brake pedal. Can't be much more. Lift.........

7. PAPASMURF

PAPASMURF

I'm thinking it has to be a bolt somewhere. I can pry it up about 1.5 inches and it will not go up anymore. Maybe the running boards are attached to the body somewhere. If I can get it another .5 inches I can get a 2 by 4 under there and see what is going on. I will work on the running boards tonight and see if I can make some progress.

8. kelzweld

kelzweld

Do you still have a motor and box in it? If so and you have handbrake lever in place, it's mounted to your box. Loose the handbrake too.

9. PAPASMURF

PAPASMURF

box is off, hand lever is laying on the garage floor. I'll look under tonight and see if the cable is attached to the back of the cab somehow.

10. PAPASMURF

PAPASMURF

Changing the direction and using the chevy frame and rear leaf suspension. I want to be able to tow a teardrop trailer with this so It will keep it a little more beefy in the back.

Progress: Drilling out the rivets to slide the whole rear suspension/crossmembers forward about 30 inches so I can bob the bed about 3 ft. Pulling the chevy front end to weld up a crossmember in front for the dropped ford front end. Pics to follow.

11. PAPASMURF

PAPASMURF

Got the rear end apart and tore my muscle in half, looks like Im banned from the garage for a bit from doc..Anyways more pics of the mess...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a pic of my wifes project. 31 Model A Rpu and her cruiser.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. kelzweld

kelzweld

Did you get that cab off? You sure do things differently at your place. A Ford front end under the Chev and Chev front end under the Ford. Haha

13. PAPASMURF

PAPASMURF

putting a dropped ford axle under the 31. Its just there to stay out of the way until a friend comes to pick it up.