Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration OK, it's not a Beauty Contest, it's a design discussion: Pretty Faces, part 1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Apr 18, 2009.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

OK, I suckered you. This isn't a contest, it's more like a conversation. I've been thinking about the cars I've seen in my life that have great faces -- grilles and headlights and stuff. I've gathered pictures of a bunch of faces that I think were outstanding designs in their era. I'm not soliciting comments on my choices, but if you'd like to add your own favorites, feel free. Stock or custom is fine.

This first thread is for "mechanical" cars -- before styling became the driving force. Cars with separate headlights, fenders, and grilles, maybe some suspension showing; basically pre-'36 among Fords. Failing at originality in this group, everything I chose was a Ford:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  2. 50Fraud

50Fraud

There, I changed the title so two or three more people will take a look at this. Surely, this opinionated bunch has something to say about good-looking front ends on hot rods??

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  3. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I have always favored the track nose....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my all time favorite...
    [​IMG]

4. KillerKustom

KillerKustom

The "face" always looks better to me without eyes. Its funny how on that highboy it looks so kool without the headlights. They dont add to the lines, they take from it.

5. mikes51

mikes51

One of the most pleasing looking front ends to me is a fendered 32 ford that has been lowered. The way the front edge of that fender rises from the frame horns, gracefully curves around the front and back over the wheels is a pleasure to look at.

[​IMG]

6. If it's 1934 or older, it needs a deuce grill shell. I remember in R & C in the 60's had an artist concept of a 40 Ford with a deuce shell. Looked pretty good, but haven't seen anyone do it yet.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Link no workey cruzincougar??

8. Link was from up the page with the black 29 with a deuce, wasn't sure how to get it down here, guess I didn't

9. 2-TONED

2-TONED

34 ford
    32 ford
    40 deluxe ford
    track noses
    brass T

GOOD LOOKIN STUFF!

10. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hummmmm, let me see-
    '29 Cord
    '33 Graham Page
    '33 Ford 3 winda
    '34 LaSalle
    '36 Lincoln Zepher

Ninteen thirty two Fords have always looked to me as if the janitor at Murray/Briggs drew them up!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is not An Act Of Compassion!"

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Graham-Paige
    Lincoln Zephyr

Actually, the 32 Ford fell more under the influence of Edsel Ford and the Lincoln Design crew than the janitorial departemnt of outside contract body builders.
    Murray ended up being absorbed by Ford, and Briggs by Chrysler Corp.

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Worthy additions, thanks. By my reckoning the '40 Ford and the Zephyr belong in Part 2, though.

13. rick finch

rick finch

32 shell on a 40 Ford?...............I don't know how that could possibly work!

14. Most any Studebaker from 1932 to 1937, and of course the later bullet-nose and the best-looking-car-made-in-the-50's, the 53 Studebaker coupe....

Attached Files:

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I think the '36 President is particularly slick, and I chose it in the Part 2 (fat-fendered) thread. I agree about the '53, too, but I haven't brought up '50s cars yet.

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Not exactly a track nose, but a thing of beauty all the same:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  17. Every one of these are great front end designs, to my eye at least. I remember a very nice Aston Martin from the 30's and of course the Duesenberg front had quite a strong character.
    Now I need to go look at some of my old books and give it a bit more thought - a nice change of pace after watching the F1 race. Thanks.

18. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

That 36 stude the bigdaddyo posted is total gangster,all you need is a tommy gun out the window and your set. awesome car.

19. I think this is a Plymouth...
    [​IMG]

Paul's car...think it's a DeSoto
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zephyr...
    [​IMG]

20. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Those are all good-looking faces, Bob, I agree. And you're right, Plymouth/Packard grille and DeSoto.

21. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

That moroon desoto,is a phenomonal custom ,one of the best here in california,why hasnt a mag picked it up and do a spread on that car.It blows my mind each time i see it.A true classic.

22. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I agree, HR, it's an amazing piece. Every time I see it, I marvel at the leaded-in rear fenders and the absence of removeable skirts. I can't imagine the hassle it takes to change the rear tires -- or even to clean the whitewalls -- but that's part of its mystery and charm.

Pretty face, too, but I think it's just cleaned-up stock '40 (?) DeSoto.

23. DRD57

DRD57

The full fendered 32 with a dropped headlight bar does it for me. You cannot imagine how much pleasure I derived from just sitting and staring at the front end of my roadster when I got it back together after the accident.

24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I didn't include this picture in my original post, but I have it in my file of "great faces". You're right, Don (and Mikes51), I should have included it:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  25. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Not well.... JMO

CC

Attached Files:

26. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

50 fraud, the lines on that moroon desoto are so beautiful,its smooth flowing and nothing detracts the eye at all,its a well thought out well put together custom ,the metal work is flawless and the paint is like glass,nothing spoils that custom.I could sit and stare at it for hours.

27. HAMBstirrer

HAMBstirrer
    from Kempsey

Well fellas it may not be a brand name but I think the face on my HA/GR may well fall into this lot. This old fart is doing all the work!

Attached Files:

28. boldventure

boldventure