Register now to get rid of these ads!

6x2 intake for 330 Desoto hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sarg, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Sarg

Sarg

I am looking to get a 6x2 or 3x2 intake for my 330 hemi and I was wondering which one is the best. I was looking at Eelco or Geardrive Speed and Custom. Whats the pro's and con's of a 6x2 or 3x2 set up.
    I have never run this kind of set up and I really don't know what I am about to get myself into. Any advice would be helpful

2. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Which do you want to run..Why not a 4x2..
    Duane.

3. Sarg

Sarg

I like the look of a 6x2 set up but I am not sure about the whole set up. As far as the difficulty on a scale of 1 to 10. Lets face it is it more difficult to set up a 6x2 and keep it running. Will I be working on tuning this set up all the time. I had not considered the 4x2 set up maby thats another option. I was looking for some advice from some of you who have done it. What kind of carbs are you running, what kind of linkage set up, are you running all of the carbs or are some of them just for show.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everything will depend on what you're doing with the engine. How much cam are you going to run? What's your compression? Would you be running the setup progressive or straight linkage? Tell us more.

If your motor is fairly stock I would go with a 3x2 (or a 4x2 as mentioned). If you're going to open things up and let breath ($$ cha ching! $$) then 6x2 might be more realistic. You might want to figure out what kind of carbs you would run on there as well. 6 stromberg 97's will bring you in around 1000 cfm.

You could block off carbs in a 6x2 setup, but if you're going to do that you might as well run something with the correct CFM for your application. Also, running 6 carbs for the look of it is an expensive setup!

So tell us more...

5. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

scootermcrad, is correct, need to know lots more about the engine.
    Duane.

6. Imo I love the look of that Eelco 6x2 intake.

If I was building a naturally aspirated 330 Desoto with a cam of at least 235+ deg @ 0.050 and hi lift, ported heads along with a decent CR and rear gearing, then I'd run the 6x2. As it is I'll have all that on my 330 (with less static CR) but with a 6-71, I'll be running a 4x2 with Stromberg WWs for about 1000 cfm. The blower makes it a tolerable combo and it will have plenty up top at WOT..

Sarg, Im not sure I agree with the contant tuning theory. Once the carbs are set up for the correct A/F ratio at idle, cruise and under WOT, that should be it. If the correct/quality linkage is used, it should stay in "tune".

Sarg, tell us what you are planning for your 330 Desoto combo? CR, cam timing, heads, trans, gearing, vehicle weight, use etc....

Rat

7. Sarg

Sarg

I think I want to stay with a stock rebuild or maby just a little more get up and go. I want something that will be a good crusier and dependable to go on some runs. As far as the carb and linkage I have no idea which way to go. I am new at this engine build stuff. I have only built one engine and it was in my 64 Galaxie and I let a shop that has been around along time build the bottom end and I did the top end. Its a 460 with a514 stroker kit. I went all out on it and I really need something in this car that I can just get in and go. I just like the way the 6x2 set up looks. Whats your thoughts if I go with a stock to mild rebuild. Which intake, carb, linkage set up would work the best.

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you will find the 6x2 to be a bit much for a stock or close to stock engine. However, there are ways around that. I guess you could run it progressive and restrict how much the outside four carbs open, but that would not be ideal. I would just throw a 3x2 on it and be done. It will run great and you'll have just about the right amount of CFM for the application, depending on the carbs you select... (94's, 97's, 81's, 48's, etc.). 3x2 setups are just about as traditional as you can get.

Hemis like to breath and can usually handle the CFM, but just keep in mind that if you over-carb it will only drive you crazy on a daily driven car. I know that's not what you want to hear, but the numbers don't lie.

There's an article in a book that you NEED to read and you will understand better where I am coming from. If you don't own it, you need to buy "the Complete Chrysler Hemi", by Ron Ceridono. There is an article that starts on page 70 that will explain some things to you. I'm not saying it's an absolute written in stone method, but you really should read it. Even though the book is based on Chrysler motors, it will still be of some benefit to ANYONE with any type of Early Hemi.

Just my $.02.

9. Sarg

Sarg

I will try and find a copy of that book. I will more than likely go with the 3x2 set up. Thanks for all the info guys.

10. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..Here is a picture of a 3x2. the linkage was in mock-up..You could try a 4x2 log and run Stromberg 81s with jet adjusters. 4, 81s is about 540 CFMs. I do have both..
    Duane..

Attached Files:

11. Sarg

Sarg

That set up looks great. What kind of intake and linkage is that? Looks like it has some kind of adapter plate on it. Thanks for the info and the picture.