Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back in Black! rpu build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgerodder, Apr 12, 2009.

1. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well, after my earlier chassis powder coating problems, I am thrilled to say that I again have a roller, back in black:eek: I did not go with a clear coat this time around, only powder coat epoxy primer & gloss black powder top coat.

Besides the fact that it stuck this time, I honestly like the way that it looks better without the clear. The coater did right by me, & I am happy with the results. Every piece was sandblasted back to bare metal again. I then DA'ed everything smooth. I again skim coated the frame with tiger drylac high temp filler, & sanded & sanded &, umm, sanded some more. But it really came out smooth this time.

Even though it was a major pain in the @ss to redo all 43 pieces, the one benefit I got is a "practice" powder coat job to let me see the area of the frame that needed more body-work attention. That way the 2nd time around I could fix those areas. The end result was worth it, even though it sure didn't seem like it at the time:eek:

Here's some pics after we got it reassembled. I usually post new threads each time that I make progress on the car. From now on I am going to keep it all in this thread I think....

Thanks for looking, I feel SOOOO relieved to get the frame back together again........

Dan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Absolutley beautiful!!!!!!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

4. ABBoston

ABBoston
    from Boston

Very Nice! - Can't wait to see the rest!

AB

5. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Beautiful. All the hard work and "extra" time spent has been well worth it - congratulations!

6. Glen

Glen

Did you make the rear frame section/4link setup or is that from a chassis shop?

7. Wow looks great Dan. Glad it all worked out in the end!!

8. DrewDay

DrewDay
    from Austin, Tx

It was great to see this one come together

9. Skirv

Skirv

Bee-u-tee-ful Dan. Glad to see the bad powder coating experience behind you now.

10. I told my doctor that the rat rods were ruining my peace of mind. He recommended that I look at this frame here. I feel better now.

I didn't really have anything to add. I just posted so I can keep up to date on this RPU. Gonna be nice, methinks.

11. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks a ton guys, I feel like a weight was lifted getting it back together again.

I had Autoweld in PA bend up the 2 rear rails to my specs, but I fabbed the rest. I thought the mandrel section would look a little nicer since the bed is totally open. Here's a pic of the rear rails after I built the rear crossmember & got it ready to weld up:

[​IMG]

12. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks man, that makes two of us!! To make things worse, I managed to blow a piece of the old clear powder coat into my eye with the air nozzle , even with safety glasses on:mad:

I got to revisit the eye doctor to have them dremel it out of my eyeball hehe

:D:DThank you CP, I appreciate! I need to figure out how to get some patina on this thing though.....

13. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

congrats!!! absolutely beautiful...

14. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Excellent! You are right back to making me SICK! AGAIN!

15. Rodshop

Rodshop

Nice work man! Rodshop

16. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

Looks great !!!

17. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Hey, you know you are due for an update on your truck.................:D

18. I love powder coat.your going to cover nice work that with a body now arn't you.

19. wild willey

wild willey

Killa stance. Powder coating is smoothe. Off to a KICK ASS start to, what I am sure, is gonna be a SWEET ride!!

20. striper

striper

Stop working on the fucking thing and drive it :eek:

Looks great.....................................again

Pete

21. Dan,
    Looks kickass! cant wait to see the truck body mounted.

22. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

23. stunning man its nice to see it to this point... again;) hope fully by the end of the month i'll be able to think about paint on my frame

24. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, looks like a well built chassis! Well thought out and built, great to see. There is some scary stuff that shows up on here from time to time. Though not strictly 'Traditional' it restores my faith in the Hot Rod builders of the HAMB.

PS, Is that you Bleed?? You log on with a new name?:p:rolleyes:

Doc.

25. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

26. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

that looks really sharp! Nice work (finally!):cool:

27. brady1929

brady1929

28. rick finch

rick finch

After all the angst & trauma you went through, glad to see it's redone right & back together!:cool:

29. Fogger

Fogger

Well worth the extra work, looks great. I've had a lot of frame parts powdered in LA and never had a clear coat added. You did a really good job on the prep and it's too bad it gets covered up by the sheet metal. The FOGGER

30. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Looks really, really NICE! Great work....I love how delicate and detailed the front end is too......BEAUTY.