Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Voxmobile - Barris car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kryan5732, Apr 10, 2009.

1. kryan5732

kryan5732
    from Denver, CO

Hi: A friend who's a member here suggested I post my car here. It's a George Barris creation - The Voxmobile. Long story short - it had been in CO for at least 30 years, and since I'm a guitar player I knew of it's whereabouts - basically it was hiding in plain sight. Well, for years a friend and I tried to buy it, and luckily, last August the person who inherited the car finally called me after three years of trying and said he was ready to sell. It was missing the two guitars and a Beatle amp, but is basically all there, unmodded and unrestored. Let me know what you guys and gals think and I'm glad to be a member here. All the pics I have are on my website www.thevoxmobile.com but here is a teaser pic. Hey to all, Kevin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

3. Uh,,,I don't know what to say,:eek:,,the first thing that comes to mind is it's strange,,,not a traditional hot rod or custom,,,but that's my opinion,,,if you like it ,,,i'm glad for you. HRP

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  4. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

WOW...........that is cool, Thanks

5. modrod

modrod

Ultra-boss! I remember seeing a Muntz stereo ad claiming the Voxmobile had one of their tape players in it. It would make sense though. I think George Barris and Madman Muntz came from the same planet.

Great looking kreation though, and great job preserving it.

6. Barris's declining years.

7. whamoman

whamoman
    from USA

Madman Muntz was my neighbor on Densmore in the 70's. He lived up to his name but he was a cool guy in his own way...

8. kryan5732

kryan5732
    from Denver, CO

I bought a Muntz 8-track on ebay for the car! The car actually has a lot of hot rod related parts - Green Line SW guages etc., etc.

9. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

THats F'n pretty cool. I never saw that before. What are you going to do with it? Is Vox still around ?

10. kryan5732

kryan5732
    from Denver, CO

Yes, Vox is owned by Korg. I've been in contact with them. That's what I do - cars and guitars - left corporate America in the dust baby! The guy in the bottom pic is Jimmy Bryant -The World's Fastest Guitarist". He once drove up to the Country Music Awards in this car. Great player. Vox's US division in in your neck of the woods 6t5frlane!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  11. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

The 60's or 70's were not good to Kustom cars.

12. It was a sign of the times. The British invasion and modness. It's different but as a period piece it's dang cool. A Brain Jones Guitar. We all wanted Vox's when we was kids. There's a Hot Wheels car that is similar

13. I wondered if that was Jimmy Bryant in the second picture. I don't think I've seen that particular shot before, at least not that big or in color. If you've never heard any of Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant's recordings, you're in for a real eye and ear opener!

Sounds like the Voxmobile has found a good home!

14. DrJ

DrJ

Cool find!
    Does it run?
    If not, did it ever?
    But wait... It's for sale?
    Then this AD belongs in the classifieds...

15. kryan5732

kryan5732
    from Denver, CO

Technically not for sale yet so I took that out - sorry! Yes it runs, I am working on the wiring etc., etc. Needs some TLC.

16. i remember seeing that car back when it was first used as a promo tool. Not a cool Hot Rod per se, a cool promo deal though. My dad used VOX amps when he played the Hollywood Bowl in about 68
    Jimmy Bryant? I always thought Alvin Lee and Rick Derringer were the fastest guitar players (LOL) The world record of course is actually held by Tiago Della Vega

17. Big Khaunaa

Big Khaunaa

18. kryan5732

kryan5732
    from Denver, CO

Who did your Dad play for? I have a bunch of Vox stuff! Jimmy was a little before Alvin's and Rick's time but he blazed.

19. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

The guitars are missning?? So what does it actually look like now?

20. vertible59

vertible59

I was hoping that car still existed. Always liked it because I'm into Vox stuff. When I was a kid, a vox Super Beatle was the holy grail!

21. Guy locally to us has built a bike & car to promote music among gang members in hopes of them taking up music instead of violence. He built the bike several years ago & has ridden it cross country several times....the car is his latest project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Go visit www.guitarsnotguns.org

22. kryan5732

kryan5732
    from Denver, CO

That's me next to it in the first pic (my front yard) with my Vox suit!!!

23. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

oh the 2 Black Guitars,,was gonna say the guitars missing is kinda the whole car,,lol

24. Abomb

Abomb

It sorta makes me think....what if OCC built cars?????????

25. kryan5732

kryan5732
    from Denver, CO

Love it!

26. TOO COOL......hope ya find the parts and return the paint to orig. along with the vox logos and amp logos that used to be on that car.SHOW RODS WILL RULE THE WORLD..............the guy in the pajamas is kinda strange

27. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

I always wondered what happened top that thing. It's amazing that its in such good condition. Not really Barris' finest hour but fascinating all the same. Read about it years ago cos we used Vox AC30's in the band I was in and it was only natural that I would come across it searching for Barris info and Vox info......would love to see it some day....

28. banjorear

banjorear

I've always dug that rig too. I hope someday to own a blonde AC-30. I understand this was built for promotional purposes in the '60's, but its Mod as hell.

Great score.

29. Kind of reminds me of American Chopper when they go overboard with the "theme bike" thing and turn them into blatant advertisements for some company. I guess this proves people were making "theme cars" long before people were making "theme bikes".