Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Coupe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Salt Flats Speed Shop, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

This build is for a buddy Brent here in salt lake city.

Plans are to chop around 3"-3 1/2".

Fill the roof but continue the belt from the side of the rear window into the roof insert and ending at the visor.

I will be running on a 32' frame built by Ionia Hot Rod Shop. That's pinched for a model a. It will have provisions for a 32' gas tank.

The engine will be a 292 Y Block with a 4 speed and tri-power.

Defiantly keep your eye on this build.

<table border="0" width="1024" style="border: none; font-family: Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="border: none;"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" src="http://w667.photobucket.com/flash/tagWidget.swf?mediaURL=aHR0cDovL2k2NjcucGhvdG9idWNrZXQuY29tL2FsYnVtcy92djM2L1NhbHRfRmxhdHNfU3BlZWRfU2hvcC8xOTMwJTIwTW9kZWwlMjBBJTIwQ291cGUvMDEuanBn" width="1024" height="768"/></td></tr></table>

<table border="0" width="1024" style="border: none; font-family: Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="border: none;"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" src="http://w667.photobucket.com/flash/tagWidget.swf?mediaURL=aHR0cDovL2k2NjcucGhvdG9idWNrZXQuY29tL2FsYnVtcy92djM2L1NhbHRfRmxhdHNfU3BlZWRfU2hvcC8xOTMwJTIwTW9kZWwlMjBBJTIwQ291cGUvMDIuanBn" width="1024" height="768"/></td></tr></table>

<table border="0" width="1024" style="border: none; font-family: Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="border: none;"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" src="http://w667.photobucket.com/flash/tagWidget.swf?mediaURL=aHR0cDovL2k2NjcucGhvdG9idWNrZXQuY29tL2FsYnVtcy92djM2L1NhbHRfRmxhdHNfU3BlZWRfU2hvcC8xOTMwJTIwTW9kZWwlMjBBJTIwQ291cGUvMDUuanBn" width="1024" height="768"/></td></tr></table>

<table border="0" width="1024" style="border: none; font-family: Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="border: none;"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" src="http://w667.photobucket.com/flash/tagWidget.swf?mediaURL=aHR0cDovL2k2NjcucGhvdG9idWNrZXQuY29tL2FsYnVtcy92djM2L1NhbHRfRmxhdHNfU3BlZWRfU2hvcC8xOTMwJTIwTW9kZWwlMjBBJTIwQ291cGUvMDYuanBn" width="1024" height="768"/></td></tr></table>

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Love them Ionia Frames! Sounds like a cool build plan now get to it.

3. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

keep us posted

4. onedge

onedge

cool like the engine idea.

5. Chris Cissel

Chris Cissel
    from Fresno Ca

Keep us up dated on the progress.

6. whitlock

whitlock

Looks like a nice body to start with.

7. Cool ideas, keep posting updates.

8. Mo pics !!! >>>>.

9. blackout

blackout

This is gonna be good. Extending the beltline makes it look factory.

10. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

I like the sound of this!
    I think I'll watch!:D

Nick.

11. Sounds like you've got good ideas in store for it. Definitely post pics of the chop! Lookin forward to seeing the build.

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Be sure to post pictures of the body going on the Ionia frame. Love the work those guys do but I've never seen one with an A body on it. I'm betting it will be perfect.

Frank

13. nice build can't wait to see more,like the choice of power plant

14. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Cant wait brent,i new i should have keep that body:eek:

15. rick finch

rick finch

Hmmmmm.........sounds good so far, keep us posted!

16. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

sounds like a cool build, keep us posted.

17. should be interesting keep us posted!

18. -Brent-

-Brent-

YOU SNAKES!!!! :D You have a thread going without me, haha!

So, alluding to what Chris has already mentioned, the plan is roof fill a la Metalshapes and mold the body around a 32 tank... again like Metalshapes. :) I'd like to squeeze the most chop I can but I have to sit in it first. Drivetrain is a 235 with a 53/54 Corvette intake and exhaust running into a T5 then to a 40 Ford rear. Everything will be fixed to an Ionia Hot Rod Shop 32 frame.

We've tossed out a lot of really cool ideas and I know between Chris (Salt Flats Speed Shop) and me this car should be pretty cool. I've been patient and studied for years and I think that although the car will be similar to builds from the past there will be some fresh "takes" to how we're going to go about some of those things.

I have to say as far as inspiration there are a few cars here on the H.A.M.B. that have influenced me... Mr. Ford's Coupe (one of the best all around in my opinion), the coupe Metalshapes built, The Tardel/Cochran Coupe, Tindall's coupe, of course Casny's coupe, Rolf's, and although they're on the opposite side of the spectrum of my focus... SloppySeconds' and Evel's coupe. There are a few I left out only because I unfortunately don't know whom they belong to.

I've got some deconstruction pics... I'll put them up once I can find the cable to the camera.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  19. -Brent-

-Brent-

You'd be shocked to see how solid it is, I know I was. I'm not sure when it'll be back from the sand blaster but then we'll really see what the story is. I have a feeling it'll be decent.

Thanks, though, Quinton for selling me this car... it's my absolute DREAM!!!

Attached Files:

20. I love all those coupe's you cited, I'll be following this. Looks like a great start! :cool:

21. brentthebarber

brentthebarber
    from San Diego

can't wait for some updates on this!

22. -Brent-

-Brent-

Love the Green Grenade... certainly an influence and a tuff looking car. I'm really looking towards a Belle of Bonneville kind-of feeling.

I remember seeing an old pic when I was at a Museum in Daytona (this is YEARS before I moved to UT) and there were pics from Bonneville referencing a car or a person whom had some sort of Daytona land-speed legacy and in one particular photo there was this pair of BEAUTIFUL cars sitting in the background... both coupes, one an A and the other a 32. Although they weren't race cars like the car that was in the foreground they stole my attention. That's the kind of car I want.

I hate that we don't have any work done yet. Now this thread will torment me. :D

The car is in great hands for the metalwork. This young man has SKILLS!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  23. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Got the model a back from the sandblasters today. It cleaned up super nice. Now the fun can begin.

<table border="0" width="1024" style="border: none; font-family: Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="border: none;"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" src="http://w667.photobucket.com/flash/tagWidget.swf?mediaURL=aHR0cDovL2k2NjcucGhvdG9idWNrZXQuY29tL2FsYnVtcy92djM2L1NhbHRfRmxhdHNfU3BlZWRfU2hvcC8xOTMwJTIwTW9kZWwlMjBBJTIwQ291cGUvMTEuanBn" width="1024" height="768"/></td></tr></table>

<table border="0" width="1024" style="border: none; font-family: Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="border: none;"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" src="http://w667.photobucket.com/flash/tagWidget.swf?mediaURL=aHR0cDovL2k2NjcucGhvdG9idWNrZXQuY29tL2FsYnVtcy92djM2L1NhbHRfRmxhdHNfU3BlZWRfU2hvcC8xOTMwJTIwTW9kZWwlMjBBJTIwQ291cGUvMTMuanBn" width="1024" height="768"/></td></tr></table>

<table border="0" width="1024" style="border: none; font-family: Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="border: none;"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" src="http://w667.photobucket.com/flash/tagWidget.swf?mediaURL=aHR0cDovL2k2NjcucGhvdG9idWNrZXQuY29tL2FsYnVtcy92djM2L1NhbHRfRmxhdHNfU3BlZWRfU2hvcC8xOTMwJTIwTW9kZWwlMjBBJTIwQ291cGUvMTYuanBn" width="1024" height="768"/></td></tr></table>

<table border="0" width="1024" style="border: none; font-family: Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="border: none;"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" src="http://w667.photobucket.com/flash/tagWidget.swf?mediaURL=aHR0cDovL2k2NjcucGhvdG9idWNrZXQuY29tL2FsYnVtcy92djM2L1NhbHRfRmxhdHNfU3BlZWRfU2hvcC8xOTMwJTIwTW9kZWwlMjBBJTIwQ291cGUvMTcuanBn" width="1024" height="768"/></td></tr></table>

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  24. hemi guy 53

hemi guy 53
    from colorado

25. Super nice....Super solid....Can't wait to follow your build!

26. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Awesome. What a sweet starting point.

27. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Looks Bloody GREAT!

Nick.

28. Daisyduke

Daisyduke

Looks like a solid car to start with. I'll be watching this with interest.
    Good luck with the build.

29. are you going to turn this one intoa sedan?? lol

30. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

looks like a great start...good luck with the build and keep us updated,,,cool