Register now to get rid of these ads!

270 poly head exhaust manifold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ericshoebox, Apr 6, 2009.

1. ericshoebox

ericshoebox

ok. we just picked up a '55 plymouth with a 270 poly. the f'ing manifolds are cracked. don't really want to try and weld cast iron. does any know of a source and or alternative exhaust manifold that would work? right/pass side..

thanks

Attached Files:

2. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I know a guy in TX that can cut new flanges... But you should have a the same in a state nearest you. Good luck!
    Jay

3. ericshoebox

ericshoebox

thanks. i'll check that out.

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

There's a guy in Australia (I think) who puts up adds on Ebay once in a while. He makes copies of them out of steel plate. someone there also makes shorty headers..a bit more money, though.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have a Plymouth poly engine out back. 259 inch I believe. Not sure about exhaust manifolds but can look in a few days when it quits raining if you want. PM me.

6. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

When you put the new manifolds on, look real close at how the exhaust is hung. One cracked manifold means you've got an old car. Two means either bad luck or contributing factor, like an exhaust system that levers em weird or doesn't have mid-car hangers.

good luck

7. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

just get some headers for it.

8. ericshoebox

ericshoebox

thanks guys! as far as i can tell it has 77K miles and somebody had the heads done a couple months ago. guy we go it from had the battery cables switched (6v + ground) and kept buring points. 500.00 later all i have is the exhaust to worry about. (it's my brothers car).

9. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Now, I know the guy who can weld them back together but I haven't the foggiest notion of where you are. And distance not only makes the heart grow fonder but it plays hell with the shipping charges. If "orangevale " is not onn the left coast, it's possible I could fix you up. Dale in Indy.

10. ericshoebox

ericshoebox

thnks dale, i'm in n. california. waiting to hear back from another hamber but will most likley weld them just to get my brother on the road. (it's gonna be his only car - needs to go to work).

question: anyone know the name of a company who makes headers and or flanges?

thanks

11. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

For what it's worth: the guy I know (who is 86 and still runs his own auto machine and welding shop) gave me a demo on GAS WELDING a broken manifold with cast iron rod. Grind out the cracked area, give it a LOT of preheat, and weld it like any thing else. On a maniflold, you'd need to true up the head surface when it cooled down. [He also repairs cast iron heads and blocks].

12. might not be a lot of help, but my poly exhaust manifold cracked clean thru at some point. Somebody (prior to me) welded it back together using nickel rod and it's tough as nails. Check the pics!! Maybe you can find an old hand that can do the same for your brother's problem.

Attached Files:

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Don't know what happened to this guy. I went out and pulled a manifold for him and he dissapered. If your manifold ever gives it up I have one. Although mine is more of a center dump rams horn. It has the genorator mount on it, but I can remove that. Yeah it's a right side manifold, but it would make a nice left side piece with the gen. miunt milled off. Assuming your running duels and a center dump head pipe has room.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009