Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-54 Chevy Dual Master Cylinder Upgrade?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasHardcore, Mar 31, 2009.

1. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Rebuilt our stock '53 MC with kit from NCA. Rubber around piston was bad when I opened the package. Installed it anyway, leaks. Installed the old piston, leaks. Installed another old piston from another '54 MC, still leaks. I'm fed up and looking to install a dual master cylinder.

I've done my homework on the Filling Station/NCA type "kits" but they are priced too high. If they just sold the bracket, life would be better. I've also seen many of the home-built fabricated bracket assemblies.

Now my questions are:

Does anyone make a good frame mount DRUM/DRUM master cylinder setup that works well in these cars?

Does anyone sell just the bracket to run a dual MC for these cars?

If I go ahead and build my own bracket setup, whether it be tandem (behind stock gutted MC), or build a new pedal pivot and MC mount, which MC should I use? Stock drum/drum setup on this car.

Any help is appreciated. I'd like to see this ol girl make it to the Round-Up this year.

2. i wonder if the filling station would just sell you the bracket? i think it'd be worth a call... i sent in my core for the new set up they sell. it was spendy, but i wanted a clean firewall without the booster, and keep everything under the floor boards.

3. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I'm the same, firewall has been smoothed & painted. I want the pedal & master cylinder in the stock location. I just made a template for the base plate of the MC bracket, and I'll cut it out with the plasma tomorrow. I'm just going to build a whole new bracket/pivot assembly and ditch the old master cylinder completely.

So, what do you guys recommend for a master cylinder?

4. crs36

crs36
    from Alberta

I built the underfloor bracket, really is apiece of cake if you weld. I used a 76 corvette master, but I'm running front disc's. I'd stop by a local NAPA and check into a master from a Nova or something close to that size. As long as it's from a drum/drum setup without power you should be OK for the valving. Take a tape and watch how tall the master is, not alot of room under there. Also you'll need to make a longer rod, I used 3/8' barstock threaded 5/16" on one end for a Heim end. Speedway sell's the heim end's.
    Hope that help's.

5. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

crs, did you retain the original MC and run the 'vette MC behind it, or build a new bracket completely?

6. Same P/N I forget what it is but a 67-72 Chevelle or Nova all-drum master works fine. Rebuilt ones are like $20 at most of the chains, you can get new ones too but I forget what they cost.

Even if you make a new bracket, there's not a lot of space down there, it works easier to put the master out behind the crossmembers so you can get to it.

7. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

You got a pic of your setup that you can post? I'm trying to decide which route to go on my 50 Sedan Delivery

8. lowmaster

lowmaster

I have a bracket /pedal assy available for power brakes. Just ditch the booster and mount the master cylinder directly to the bracket. It mounts in the stock location and puts the booster or master cylinder behind the orignal crossmember. Just the pedal assy/bracketry sells for $100.00

9. yeah, i might have payed a lot for the kit but i'm extremely happy with it...
    [​IMG]
    $225 + core from the filling station

10. Use the ECI kit, I have one on my 54 and it works great. Mounts a dual MC in stock location Doesnt look like a hermaphrodite like that Filling Station one above.

11. it does look kinda like a turtle humping a rabbit, but i do get a little satisfaction knowing i'm still using some of the original equipment :D

12. crs36

crs36
    from Alberta

Texas, Lobucrod, Murder's pic show's the one I copied, mine look's the same.

13. Meyer

Meyer

late 60's mustang dual mc works for drum/drum too. $30 off the shelf at autozone

14. Look at my photobucket page attached to my sig. There is a pic of the bracket I make and retained the stock M/C Todd

15. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I picked up a Master Cylinder at the parts house today for $16.99. Cardone Brand Remanufactured Part # 10-1329. Fits Late 60's-early 70's Chevrolet Fullsize Cars, Vans, and Trucks.

I started fabricating a bracket to mount the new MC in place of the old one. I cut up a junker stock MC for the pedal pivot and will weld it to the bracket. If it works, it works. If not, I've already drawn up my template to make the bracket to run the new MC behind the stock gutted MC.

Thanks for ya'lls help.

16. What bore is that MC? Good on ya for making your own bracket. test it, refine it and then go into production!

17. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

I think Master Power Brake still sells the dual master..non boost for drum/drum. I put one in my 54' chev few years back, they don't advertise it anymore but should still have them.
    -jason

18. ford drum drum and chassis engineering bracket

[ [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

19. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

On the Track Car when we updated it we used the Corvette dual master mounted behind the original cylinder on a bracket to the frame. We removed the guts of the old master cylinder and fabricated a rod which runs through the old master to the new cylinder. Works great.

20. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Nice job on the bracket. I think I'll copy it. You dont have patent on it do ya?;) I see you are using LT-1 exhaust manifolds. I heard that they are the ones to use when putting a SBC in these cars.

21. nexxussian

nexxussian

For a Bracket try Welder Series, they're an Alliance vendor too.:D

For a 'kit' give Buffalo a call.

I haven't used him but everyone I have heard of that uses his products likes them. As I understand it he's been making this stuff since your ride was near new (if not new).

22. FWIW, here's the bracket I made. Master cylinder: NAPA #36239 w/ internal RPV's. Used 3/8" threaded rod and heim joint from Grainger for the push rod.

[​IMG]

23. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

It's a 1" bore. The bracket/pivot is almost done, Looks like it's only putting the pedal about 1/4" higher than stock, and thats only because the new MC has an extra mount on the bottom that could easily be trimmed off. Now that I think about it, I should have trimmed it before I made the bracket. But who gives a shit? I don't. Still lots of room under the floor and the MC is in the stock location. It looks like the stock 49-54 pedal pushrod will work fine on the new MC as well. It keeps the pedal travel the same, plunges the piston all the way, and with a little time spinning on the bench grinder the end is smoothed and the clip-retainer removed, fits like a glove. Pics to follow.

24. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

here's the one i made for $40.... i changed the master for a CCP corvette style master instead.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

great thread!

26. crs36

crs36
    from Alberta

! other comment, on my '53 I had to cut and gring the bottom of the bracket to clear a rivet head on the frame. So for me a flat plate just didn't sit flat, would have just spaced it up but it's a bit tight under there. Hope your brakes go good...or stop good!!

27. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

i drilled a hole for the rivet. so that way it would sit flat.

28. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Yeah I came across the rivet myself. I eyeballed it and drilled a hole in the bracket, and was a little off, so drilled another whole to form a "slot" and it clears the rivet just fine.

Haven't had a chance to finish the bracket, but I will in the next day or so. And I'll get off my ass and put some pics up then too.

29. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

can't wait to see the pics!!!

30. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

they won't, so I made my own out of $5 in scrap 10 gauge and a push rod from a nissan brake pedal. works just the same