Register now to get rid of these ads!

My back hurts again...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This time the mind is fixed on mechanical art - engines mostly. With the exeception of the flathead ford, some racing mills and other early engines designs, American engines have never seemed to highlight the “mechanicalness” of it all. While the Germans and Italians were mixing textures and materials (admittedly for functional purposes), we were covering shit up and hiding our mechanics in hopes of making the mysterious look simple. By the time the 50s rolled around all we were really concerned about was the new market – lady drivers. Things had to look simple and understandable… They did as best they could.

I often sit around and wonder what it would be like to be a REAL mechanic. You know, one of those guys that can really do anything with nothing. I’ll never be one, but I appreciate the art more than I can say. These guys build things with textures, finishes, and materials in mind. They might build an offy using brass fittings, natural cast intakes, polished stainless headers, or whatever… and it always looks so purposeful – so functional.

Looking past general automotive design, I don’t know if there is a more natural art form than building something mechanical or functional.

I can remember when we were putting Kevin's flathead together. He had chrome acorns the head studs, but we had to use some purpose built and black hex nuts. It looked so right. Why didn't more folks do that?

My mind is sputtering… Pictures work better.

Attached Files:

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Attached Files:

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Attached Files:

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Attached Files:

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Attached Files:

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Attached Files:

7. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

those are some BEAUTIFUL pieces of machinery (engines). any idea what any of them are???

8. slammed

slammed

You really DESIRE the Euro motor's of old, do you not?

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

One of my real good friends is Dan Webb, Ridler winner, self proclaimed Gold Chainer, creator of all that is smooth. His new car has a 290 hp four banger Ford Focus motor with electronic Hilborn-style injection. He chose this plant because it looks "like an Italian supercar motor with everything in sight and nothing on it that it doesn't need." At the risk of saounding gay, it's a fabtacular looking motor. I'll get updated pics soon and post 'em then.

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

[ QUOTE ]
    those are some BEAUTIFUL pieces of machinery (engines). any idea what any of them are???

[/ QUOTE ]
    The last one is a Ferrari V-12. Maybe mid to late 60's. Lots of webers....drool...........

11. slammed

slammed

Speedvison's 'Victory by Design' make's the heart race.

12. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

[ QUOTE ]
    One of my real good friends is Dan Webb, Ridler winner, self proclaimed Gold Chainer, creator of all that is smooth. His new car has a 290 hp four banger Ford Focus motor with electronic Hilborn-style injection. He chose this plant because it looks "like an Italian supercar motor with everything in sight and nothing on it that it doesn't need." At the risk of saounding gay, it's a fabtacular looking motor. I'll get updated pics soon and post 'em then.

[/ QUOTE ]

who makes the injection? TWM?

13. Elrusto

Elrusto

I'm diggin' it!

14. Mojo

Mojo

I understand what you mean. I despise modern engines, not for their engineering, but for the fact they are hidden by covers. Lexus V-8 is a good example, it's a good looking engine when it's had some attention paid to it.

15. Somehow I don't think a chiropractor can help you. [​IMG]

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

First two are offy/miller motors. The rest are v12 ferrari motors built by differing italian speed shops from the 50s on up to the late 60s.

17. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

He had some old dude from Hilborn design it, a machine shop in Kalkaska, MI machine everything, and a Ford SVT guy named Angelo make it work. It must suck to have connections. [​IMG]

18. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Ryan, I hear ya! I've posted this before but I like it so much and well it's no Ferrari but it's got soul........

Attached Files:

19. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

wow a full custom setup. i wish i was connected.

TWM sells a kit...

[​IMG]

i don't understand modern engineering either. why do they hide all the goods?

20. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Here's the induction side of this "modern" setup. Huh, maybe 1920?

Attached Files:

21. Much as always, I'll tie this into the chopper thing.

Take a look at what the fellows at Zero Engineering (Japanese company) are doing.

http://www.zerochop.com/

All sorts of textures and finishes of metal brought together to make semi-common things look anything but common. And the actually leave a lot of their welds unfinished **GASP** [​IMG]

BTW, what's your poison Ryan? I've had good luck w/ Vicodin and a little 'shine. Cool dreams and ideas for sure.

22. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yes. that motor ROCKS!! that whole car is "THE Shit"!!!

23. kentucky

kentucky

I know what you're saying. I too enjoy what Indian Larry called the "gizmoness" of an engine. It was bad enough when the auto makers started hiding the engines under covers, when the street rod builders started doing it that was a sad day for our little hobby/way of life. Have you seen that mess under the hood of the Foose/Titus 56 chevy? We really need an "eyes rolling" smiley [​IMG]

24. metalshapes

metalshapes

I'm trying to find some pics of engines I think are beautifull, but I'm not having much luck.
    I was thinking about a prewar Supercharged Bugatti Grand Prix, A ( late '60? ) Abarth 6litre Abarth Can-Am ( never raced...), the vanwall Gp ( basicly 4 Norton Race Bike engines in one crankcase ), the BRM H16 ( two flat Eights on top of each other )and the Blown V16...

25. Scotch

Scotch

If anyone can find a photo of a Wills-St.Claire V-8 (US, 1928 or so), PLEASE post it. In my opinion, the most beautiful V-8 ever made in America, or maybe anywhere. I only wish I could show ya what I mean...

I'd love to heat one up hot rod style and run it, and maybe someday I will.

Scotch~!

26. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

All american and built in the 50's

.....and a big, bad mother F'r

Attached Files:

27. superbell

superbell

Here you go Ryan, here is a project that we are about to under take. The first pics are not the project but simply a inspiration, the last pic is the motor we are intending to use. I will post more as the project progresses. Rick

Attached Files:

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

holy shit...

29. superbell

superbell

next

Attached Files:

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

oh my... PLEASE keep us up to date on that project... that is amazing...