Register now to get rid of these ads!

History EAGLE FIELD Dos Palos CA HAMB Drags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toymaker, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

IF YOU WANT A TRADITIONAL DRAG RACE IN THE CENTRAL CA AREA, READ AND RESPOND TO THIS THREAD!.........
    Today I've done what I have put off for sometime now. I went and checked out Eagle Field just south of Dos Palos, CA. What a cool place just sitting in the farm country in central California, with a lot of history. Check it out at http://www.eaglefield.net/ http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CA/Airfields_CA_CValley.htm#eagle
    So today as I'm walking around and taking photos I couldn't keep from thinking that how cool it would be to have an event here that would take you back! Back to the days of winning the 2nd World War and getting your kicks from souping up your old Hot Rod and running on an abandoned air strip.
    The air strip is approximately 60' wide, 1/2 mile long and a little rough. Not too rough that you couldn't have an "Arm Drop", 1/8 mile Drag Race. There isn't any trees but they do have an Aircraft Hanger that they have there Fly-in Dinner Dance, with that open you could stay out of the sun.
    Anyway check out the photos and the website and let me know what you think, can you say HAMB Drags:D Rocky
    WHAT IF........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

Oh man that would be such a great event! let me know if i can do anything to help organize it, would they let us do something like that there? I'm only about an hour away! I would love to do something like that there.....

3. Muttley

Muttley

That would rule.

4. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I've talked to an involved individual and he said they are interested in having special events. We would have to organize and present it to them, providing insurance and all things necessary to hold an event like ours. I know they are the "naysayers" but I think it could be done if a group worked together.
    My son and I are going to go to the Fly-In, how cool would it be to have a small gathering of Traditional Hot Rods like Royalshifters at that event. I'm going to contact them and see how we could get involved.
    IF a traditional Drag Race, Car Show, Dinner Dance event happened would it be a "MUST ATTEND" show for you? Stand Up and be COUNTED!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009

5. Muttley

Muttley

Count me in, I'd be driving a '65 though.

6. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

We can fine tune it Muttley.

7. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

I'm in for sure! i would love to take my 56 down that strip a couple times like it woulda been in the good old days!

8. I'm not much for dancing, but everything else sounds cool.

Toss a little swap meet action in there and I'm good.

9. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thanks guys and a swap meet would be cool! I hope to get some more response on this idea to show the "Powers That Be" at Eagle Field.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  10. greeno

greeno
    from Fresno,Ca.

That would be a great idea. With all the vintage race cars here in the valley, I'm sure they would be interested in a place to show their cars. Midgets,sprints, Kearney Bowl cars. They don't really have a venue to show their cars. Also throw in a few vintage Stearmans and other planes. They used to have a dinner dance after the vintage aircraft show at Chandler Field and it went over really good. Also for good measure invite the Fresno Vintage motorcycle club. The dinner dance would be a good draw to get the women out. There's also some Bonneville cars in the area. Sounds great to me.
    Gary

11. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Gary awesome ideas, maybe we could get Ray Appleton on our side! Rocky

12. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Hell, for arm drop/flagman starting I'd settle for an eighth miler. Eyeballer at the top end?

13. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Glad to see ya made it Old6'! Yep I agree and the track would be safe and dry but I'm thinking no track prep.........just like the OLD DAYS:D

14. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy Rock,

I'll buy that too ........

Just spent the day making firewood out of my favorite tree. :( Wind put it on the roof and the power lines Sunday; dry rot in the bole. Maybe I'll bring an open barbeque & a hot dog along for April, I don't have a fireplace here yet. :rolleyes:

So, how real is this thing so far? :cool:

15. Shoprag

Shoprag

U need a flag guy like this but in all white!!! I would volunteer but its hard to get two fifty to the hoof that high without a couple of spotters. LOL!!!

Attached Files:

16. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Nice 'poon. (Lockheed PV-2 Harpoon, that is.) (WWII Navy patrol bomber.)

17. 61TBird

61TBird

Make this happen!!!!

18. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Damn, Rocky.......if that comes together it would be like the way it used to be. Bare asphalt with a flagman would be like we had all gotten in a time machine and gone back to the beginning.:D

Don't think it could get much better than that!!:cool:

19. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Shop Rag, that's what I'm talking about! I have a friend who use too Flag Start @ Half Moon Bay....maybe he could teach our starter the tricks.
    As I mentioned earlier I talk to a connected individual last year who said they where interested. I past that info on and now I'm trying to reconnect. I'll keep ya posted.
    61TBIRD That's what I want to hear! Rocky

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  20. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thanks Tom, I think it could work. Just have to see what the masses here think.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  21. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

MrBelvedere, your on my contact list:D Rocky

22. ThingyM

ThingyM

Hey Rocky,,, You know you can count me in. Hell I'll make the 4 hr trip for something like that. That would really take me back in time..Yipeeee. Guess who......

23. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Come on West Coast!

24. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Cool Thingy', we'd be sure to have a HAMB Dragster Class:cool:

25. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Im In if it happens, If Ray Appletons not included, He treated all us Traditional Rodders like shit one year at his show and we havnt been back since....JOHN

26. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Right On John!

27. Shoprag

Shoprag

Toy I met an older gentlemen that lives in fresno off of shaw west of 99 his son's name is bryan, he said he use to be a flag man back in the day. Great guys

28. The valley needs more drag strips to keep the kids off the streets just like how they needed them in the past .

29. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

They are supposed to have a Fly-in June 13th. It was so cool to be able to walk up and touch the PV-2

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  30. Rocky...
    you are outta yer mind.

AND I LOVE IT!

make

it

happen!