Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects NASTY HABIT WILLYS part 6....Firewall,tunnel,gas tank,bat' mt,seats etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Been making some more progress on my Willys coupe. Got the firewall done, inner firewall and tunnel. Gas pedal mounted and some throttle linkage made. Mounted the gas tank, battery, fuel pump and seats. Got the rear fenders on, gauges mounted and the steering column braced. I've been rolling along without spending much money. Sooner or later I will have to spring for a good flywheel, clutch and pressure plate so I can get my engine parts balanced and build the shortblock (small journal 327). Here are some pics........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Dammm sweet Kev I can't wait to see it in the flesh.

3. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

that sumbitch is lookin good ! nice work !

4. DrewDay

DrewDay
    from Austin, Tx

Lookin good man

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

Your work on this car is AWESOME! I always learn something from your threads.

6. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

ya gettin there mate! What ever happened to the Chev Coupe you had at Takanini?

7. Weasel

Weasel

Man that just gets better and better every time you post. Killer workmanship and execution. But you're not planning on any long distance trips with that gas tank then eh?

8. ratster

ratster

9. good workmanship...clean lines.....cant wait to see it done

T. Hilton

10. Here is the firewall going together. It is 5052 grade aluminum .050 thick.

pattern....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the inner panel......

[​IMG]

11. Tunnel....I decided to use the original tranny cover, it needed modifications to make it work in its new location. Probably would have been quicker and easier to just make a new one but after several hours work I like the way this one looks in there. I welded nuts to the bottom of the floor so it is easy to remove and install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Throttle linkage......I fabbed this bell crank to pull the 1/4" rod coming through the firewall from the linkage attached to the back of the intake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ruler! Go Kev Go!

14. I scraped the rest of the undercoating from the inside floor and primed it. I gave the last 12" or so a coat of POR 15 as it was a little pitted, no holes but now it is solid forever.

[​IMG]

Here is the battery box I made from 1/8" steel....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will run a bigger gas tank later but since I have this one I will use it to get this thing running. I made some mounts that resemble the Moon mounts for smaller tanks. I really don't plan on driving this car on any long trips but I do plan on driving it to work. This tank should be good for a couple of trips to and from work. Fuel pump is a Mallory Comp Pump series 250 I got in a trade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Racrdad

Racrdad

Love the throttle setup - Very nice!

16. Here is the seat mount. I plan on putting the starter button and mag' kill switch on an aluminum panel between the seats. Alot easier to reach than the dash. The seats are swap meet specials, $10 each. I will have some covers sewn up for them later. The backs will be bolted to a cross bar on the roll bar when it gets built.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These seats are old. I just can't bring myself to paint over the red metalflke one has.....

[​IMG]

I got the rear fenders bolted on. They are very light weight Cal Automotive fenders that came from an old race car my friend Vic Young bought and sold many years ago. they still need work. The passenger side fender fits good but the driver side has a bigger wheel opening toward the rear and I will have to close it up with some fiberglass work. Before the fenders went on the inner fenders were stripped back to bare metal. I had to put a patch panel in the driver side. Then they were primed and painted satin black. I also made some braces from aluminim tubing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  17. This is the car the rear fenders came off......I am also using the cylinder heads that were in the injected 301 in this car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Weasel

Weasel

Vic with a full head of hair???? That's gotta be 20 years ago!

19. Here is the steering column brace.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the old style hood pins for the competition look.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Kiwi Kev........Look's nice and sterile.......Littleman

21. Rckt98

Rckt98

Lookin good Kev. Sroungers Blowout next Sunday, hard to believe it was a year ago you were over.
    Russell

22. Cshabang

Cshabang

right click, copy, and save..haha as with most of your pics Kev..inspiration!!!

23. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kev,

The transmission tunnel/cover and throttle linkage are works of art. A Willys coupe is one of my top two or three dream cars. Keep up the great work.

Thor

24. Clutched

Clutched

Lookin Great KP. next set of photos i wanna see those front wheels of the ground!

25. Here are the guages I'm running, Greenline Stewart Warners and a Greenline Sun Tach'. I got the Tach' and transmitter box from Hamber 61cad in a trade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. poorboy

poorboy

27. KICK ASS !!

Rat

28. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

KK you've got it right!!!!
    I especially like the way you've converted the column mounted Sun Tach to a Dash mount. Can I use that idea???

29. Love your craftsmanship Kev. Awesome work. Can't wait to see it in person.-Weeks

30. chaddilac

chaddilac

Looking great Kev!!! :D