Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Hidden Agenda" Turbo Model A coupe rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 100mph WHEELSPINNER, Mar 21, 2009.

1. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

I am currently rebuilding my Model a coupe that I have had for a while. I have been planning this rebuild for some time. It all got underway after the supercharged 383 decided that It didnt need the #6 piston any more. I had alot of fun with the last build with many trips far from home and lots of trips down the dragstrip.
    The new build started off with a Kiwi connection perimeter 32 frame. I will be running the worked over viper T-56 viper six speed agian with a scattersheild to save the feet. The new bullet I am building starts with a dart block, scat crank, scat rods, JE forged blower pistons with Hellfire rings that make 400ci. The plan is for some custom brodix track 1 heads and a victor jr. intake. The main plan for giving the 2400lbs car the juice it needs is a precision 76mm turbo. The car will have the late 50's early sixtys look with the turbo hidden behind the firewall. and the 16in steelies sitting on bysplys. I will be traiding out the wheels for something traditional looking with some stick tires for the track. I am planning on driving it this summer andpainting it gloss black next winter. Hope to see everyone at the hamb drags. I will be driving there. Because hotrods have 3 pedals, too much power and are built to be driven.

rear view of the coupe sitting on the new frame

[​IMG]

rear tires fitting to th wheelwells

[​IMG]

front runners

[​IMG]

riley aut hooked me up on the stopping power.

[​IMG]

Im planning on hiding the blowthru hat under an old oilbath air cleaner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

using the lift to save my already shot back.

[​IMG]

viper 6 speed mounted on a chassis engineering crossmember. Turbo in mockup behind the firewall.

[​IMG]

Drivers side shot of the turbo mock up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  2. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

3. beatnik

beatnik

I like the idea, but what about all the heat coming off that turbo behind the dash?

I'd be worried about the temp inside the car during the summer getting extreme.

Gus

SS327 likes this.
  4. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

I am planning on building an inner fire wall that will seperate me from the turbo. I have alot of ideas on how to get the heat out. I gonna start with the second firewall and wrap all of the exhaust. Plus a few heat shields. I am thinking of louvering the firewall on the engine compartment side. If worst comest to worst. I will put a fan blowing across the turbo tward the ground. In my mind I am picturing a heat shield like the factories use around the catolitic converters.
    Any Ideas would be appreciated.

5. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

6. I had a GT47-88 turbo in an OT car, and the heat coming off the turbo was pretty immense. But you can buy turbo blankets and they help a lot.

7. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

8. beatnik

beatnik

I figured had you thought about it, and most of the time the heat wont be too bad until you get that sucker going. I think you'll probably be going through a couple a different designs dealing with the heat, but it sounds like it will be pretty cool in the end.

9. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

I had thought of mounting it under the car. This way just is cleaner. The oil system is alot simpler. Plus the duct work wont be as complicated. I have looked into a turbo blanket. I have also thought of using a 32 cowl vent to blow cool air across the turbo. As long as I can deal with the Heat. I am planning on building a second firewall so that the one on the car now is just for looks. Getting everything to work right is why Im not painting the car just yet. I have thought of putting a scoop on the cowl to force air past the turbo. The car will have cowl steering on the drivers side so maybe a scoop would not look out of place????? Does anyone know of a class way of pulling of the scoop?

10. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I like it! Hope you can harness all that power!!!!

11. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Use a 32 cowl vent up top to bring air in and vent your seperate cavity downward......nothing will really look out of place..many ways to vent it out...........Goodluck ,Littleman

100mph WHEELSPINNER likes this.
  12. -Brent-

-Brent-

You won't need a heater for the fall or winter weather, that'll be for sure. In fact, you may have some nomex pants in your future. :eek:

I don't know your driving style. But in my experience with turbos on OT cars I've seen them get VERY hot, like glowing red hot. Of course these red-hot turbos were on cars that were punished.

I'd like to see your sheet metal solution. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

13. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

heres a pic of the car before this change started.
    no chop and a supercharged 383 on an a frame

[​IMG]

old supercharger setup.
    [​IMG]

14. gonmad

gonmad

Definately do a blanket. I prolly wouldn't wrap the exhaust unless it's stainless, because it will rust out in about a year. But definately do a Jet Hot or HPC super high heat coating on the exhaust. It helps with cooldown more than anything on my car. Do the 32 cowl vent blowing air DOWN and out under the car. THEN get some GOOD heat insulation from Second Skin or someone and do the firewall and floor inside and spray an insulator on the outside. I don't know much, but I do know turbo heat!! LOL.
    Sounds like a killer project! Can't wait to see it at the drags!

15. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

do the blankets have any problems with keeping the turbo too hot after shutoff?

16. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

anyone used a turbo blanket?

17. I like the idea you are doing this with your eyes open. I would poo-poo it if you weren't but I dig the thought you are putting into this thing. Nice to see other folks looking at Turbos ;)

18. I would have put the turbo under the car and piped it to the engine as apposed to putting it in the car?

Wrapping the turbo wont hurt it. All the new truck have the turbos wrapped to cut down on the noise #1 and for the heat #2 The pipe wont rot out in a year if you wrap the pipe.
    To keep that kinda cool in the car it will need to be wrapped with sevral layers and a insulated box around it. It is still going to put out heat with all that too. I would move it to under the car.

19. I [heart] turbos!

I am of the same thought that mounting outside of the passenger compartment is a better idea than inside. Exhaust plumbing (hot side) would be quite a bit easier to do. Plus the added benefit of not getting sick from Carbon Monoxide from the inevitable exhaust leaks.

Should be plenty of room on either side of the driveline for this.

20. Plowboy

Plowboy

That's looking good Jake! I think the 32 Cowl vent Idea is the best, maybe also with a fan to blow the heat out. Building a box around it is gonna take up a lot of much needed space under the dash though.

Can't you hang the turbo low next to the motor and the frame rail hidden under the exhaust? I did that with the A/C on the Punk and most people don't even notice that it is there.....

Haven't you been talking about going to the HAMB drags for years now? ha ha ha

100mph WHEELSPINNER likes this.
  21. gonmad

gonmad

Blankets will slow down the "cool off" of the turbo, but not enough to offset the benifets.
    And wrapping the pipes CAN cause extreme corrosion of the pipe(s). I've had several close friends have it happen to them on their daily driver turbo cars. It was mild steel and not stainless, but it DID happen.
    Still sounds killer!

22. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

I dont understand how It will be any different than putting the turbo in the engine compartment. I will have a full inner firewall to keep the turbo away from me. This inner firewalll will act like the normal firewall. I am planning on a louvered panel inserted on the engine side of the firewall. With all of this being said. I have never done this before. I am willing to work with it untill I get it to work. I love hearing your sugestions. I have plunty of room on that side of my floorboard for what I am doing. whats the best heat shieding material I can get? I will be wraping the pipes for now. If this setup works I will build the the exhaust out of stainless next winter.

23. JAWS

JAWS

He is right on about this.....turbos get really hot!:D

24. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

25. brandon

brandon

in your best hank hill / tom anderson voice.....what in the hell...?:D

as for the model a , keep it up.....that thing is going to be hairy...maybe see it at drag week..?

26. gonmad

gonmad

WoW!! Now that will keep you from having passengers!! Lol.
    For a heat barrier, I like Second Skin Audio. They have some good stuff and a good variety, and a little cheaper than Dynamat. I got HPC Coatings for my headers and downpipes and it helps a little, not much tho!
    i'm anxious to see this thing come together! LOL.

27. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Count me as another vote for the '32 style vent. I like the 2 firewall idea, and I know you aren't much taller than me, so I know you don't have to worry too much about foot room.

28. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

The only foot room that I am loosing is on the passenger side.
    I actually will have more on the drivers side than I did before because the 32 frame lets me sit the motor farther forward than the original A frame. I think I can pull it off clean......someone needs to try it. I want to go 9's in the quarter in a tradional looking hotrod that can be driven cross country. Not to much to ask????? I am using an asm1000 wastegate controller so that I can set the boost level in every gear. Should help me hook it up.