Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old Chicago Hang-outs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Mar 13, 2009.

1. I've lived in Chicago since 1985, so I've often wondered where folks hung out in the 50's, 60's and 70's. I know in the 80's and 90's folks street raced by the incinerators, Doty Road, on Elston, on Clybourn, and I think by the Amphitheatre. I think Ogen and Kostner might have also been a scene? Anyone?

2. 99 to Life

99 to Life

stockyards on the south side, cruisers hot dog stand in st. charles

3. In the Mid-60's, 107th St (nestled in the forest preserves between 104th Ave and Rt 83) was one of the "scenes". Remote, little-traveled, striped start and finish lines, lookouts and up to a hundred cars and bikes on a summer Saturday night.

I've heard stories first-hand of the late 50's near 87th and Western - Chris Karamesines, "Shake, Rattle and Run" and many others. Wish I coulda been THERE!

Hey John, when you comin' to Chuck's??? We'll be there tomorrow morning at 7:00 am for HAMB and eggs.

4. blktie

blktie

Mid 60's & 70's. I'm not old enough to remember before that.

1. Beverly Drive-in 95th & Ashland
    2. Bus's Drive in - 95th Street where Christ Hospital is now
    3. Dog n Suds - Cicero & SW Highway
    4. Dog n Suds - 78th & Harlem
    5. Duke's - 80th & Harlem

5. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

On the Northwest side was Skips Fiesta on North Ave. I was there a couple times with my brother when I was about 9. A lot of trailered drag cars would show up and he remembers seeing a couple of dragsters go off on Cumberland ave. (1st ave) Back in the mid 60's there wasent much around there but a go-kart track and Kiddie Land. Henry's hamberger stand (gone), Franksville (which is still there) and Bon Bon's (gone)on Harlem ave. and Super Dawg on Milwaukee. There were a couple other spots on Milwaukee but I cant remember there names and there long gone. Iggy's mufflers (The Godfather of Glasspacks!) always had a few cool cars hangin around to.

6. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

I remember seeing an NHRA legal Pro Stock run at the incinerators in the early 80's. a lot of fast, fast cars running for BIG $$$$$$. They also ran the flying mile on the skyway going into Indiana ( after the toll gate, from a 50 MPH roll). There were some black dudes that were very serious about there street racing. There were a few 200 MPH street cars running the Mile. and that was early/mid 80's

7. BTB-Derby

BTB-Derby

The Bearing Busters of Berwyn, used to hang out at a drive-in on Odgen Ave out by Harlen. Can't remenberthe name. Would go out on Rt 66 to race, This in 52,53, & 54

George Lyons likes this.
  8. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

Skips and the Forest Preserves at times it looked like a seen from Rebel Without a Cause
    Pop&#8217;s had a drive in just down from Skips
    The Carousel and we would get the overage from Skips
    I worked there summers and round 12:00 pm everybody would head out to the Forest Preserves and go for dough no runnin for fun

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

Duke's is the only one left from that list.

10. blktie

blktie

I forgot about 87th Street! Actually it was between Kedzie & Crawford (now Pulaski in honor of Larry G.). With two Cemetaries on the South side of the street there wasn't much going on at night so guys could just blast away. I think it may even had a 50 MPH speed limit back then.

11. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Archer Ave.....Harlem to Cicero.

I know I`m only 27,but 10-years ago or so it was still dominated by V-8 RWD cars.

I hear stories from older friends all the time about how it was "back in the day" lol.

12. You old guys are gettin forgetful. You forgot the Amy Joy at 67th and Pulaski across the street from Romeo Palamides Chassis shop. From there it was onto racing in the Stockyards or down the side of the Dan Ryan. Cant race in the "yards" any more , about ten or fifteen years ago the city finally fenced in the entire 1 mile square area and close it off at nite.

13. blktie

blktie

Oops....I never forgot whatshisname!

Amy Joy, I couldn't remember the name. I figured someone would come up with it. That's in my old Vince Kane days!

Larry: The fence at the Stockyards; is that to keep people in or out?

Do you think we'll ever call now "The Good Old Days"?

14. Depends on who's shooting.

15. In the 60's, we used to park all along the armco barrier around the White Castle at 95th and Cicero and watch everyone cruise through. We'd cruise east to Bus'es drive-in, then north on Cicero to the Dog'n'Suds, then through the Roller-Rink lot, then to the Burger King on 87th st; then back south to McDonalds, and back to Castle's. Buse's and Dog'n'Suds had great car-hops. We'd set up races and go to 107th st. to race. We'd go up and down Archer, too. We'd go up to Skip's once in a while, too.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  16. One night at 107th st. the Cook County cops got about 12-15 squads together from nearby towns and blocked off both ends and busted about 30 car-loads of us. They caravaned us to the Sherrif's station in Argo. They locked all of us in a small cell-block with the cell doors open. What a riot! They didn't catch us racing, but wrote tons of equipment and curfew tickets.

17. I'm on the NW side now and my friend JD has home movies of racing on Elston and the incinerators. One shows the yellow ' 64 Chevelle "Big Bird" crashing into several parked cars. The owner's name was actually Ted Drag. Probably shortened from Dragowski, or something.

18. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

Used to go to Skips Fiesta on North Ave with my 63 Corvette and my girlfriend/latertobewife. North Ave had lots of runs from rolling starts.
    Ol Blue

19. flatford39

flatford39

107th street out by saganauskee slough was unbelievable. 87th & Western was the next stop. Alot of trailered racers would come there. Lots of money was changing hands.

As Archie said " Those were the days"

20. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

If any of you Chicago folks remembers or knows anything about the old Slick Chick Drive In out on North Lincoln I'd love to hear from you. We're trying to put together more history on the place.

The building is still there and it's now a christian science reading room.

Jeff

21. Yah! Some black guys would bring over a real ratty-looking chevelle convertible with a monster big-block that would kick all the whitebread suburban kids asses.

22. 1lowtrk

1lowtrk

I used to hang out at dukes late 70's early 80's. If you wanted to race you'd set it up and go out to 107th,route6 or 183rd and volmer.If you just wanted to cruze you'd go to archer ave maybe race from stoplite to stoplite for bragin rites. I liked cruzin. Way to much money and way to serious with the racin(trailers,guns and fights) for me

23. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

107th is still alive and well

24. flatford39

flatford39

I just drove there last week & couldn't find the "start" line painted on the road. I thought that it was all over.

Glad to hear it's still alive.

25. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

You musta missed the VHT burnt into the road in both lanes.....

26. flatford39

flatford39

To be honest with you I was looking for deer as my primary objective.

27. Moparhead

Moparhead

Top's Big Boy on Ogden near Harlem,in Berwyn was the hotspot.Also cruised up to Skip's on North Av.If you were around Ogden and Kostner late at night,there was some serious drag racing going on there.I vaguely remember a place to the south off Pulaski or maybe Cicero Av.,only went there a couple times.

Fuzzy

28. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

Was that at 5800 N. Lincoln?
    I grew up on 5900 n. Kedzie at Hollywood Park.
    My brother Pete is the local mechanic.... PETE'S AUTO...
    his shop is at
    Bryn Mawr and Kimball
    PM me some info and I will ask the old timers that come by the garage.

29. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

Was that at 5800 N. Lincoln?
    I grew up on 5900 n. Kedzie at Hollywood Park.
    My brother Pete is the local mechanic.... PETE'S AUTO...
    his shop is at
    Bryn Mawr and Kimball
    PM me some info and I will ask the old timers that come by the garage.

30. showrod

showrod

I remember tops big boy I was bummed out when it burned down and I was a little kid at the time like 7 or so. end of an era!