Register now to get rid of these ads!

94 tuning help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chappys4life, Mar 9, 2009.

1. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

On my 53 f100 I have to leave the choke out for the truck not to die. This weekend I tried new plugs (ngk). Looked at cap, rotor, and points but all looked very new. I adjusted the carb by turning the 2 idle screws in all the way to the seat and coming out one turn. Ended up coming out 1 1/2 turns and it seemed to idle well. I would give it some throttle and rev'd up smoother and crisper.

When driving it it would still need the choke pulled out some or die at lights. Also I drove it to work this morning and it cut out 3 times and the choke was out and I tried in with no luck. I got into the work parking lot and had the choke all the way out and it sounded like it was barely running.

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

check for vacuum leaks first. what motor etc?

3. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

8ba. I was told the fuel pump was new (looks very clean) and carb was recently rebuilt.

4. R Pope

R Pope

Rev it up and pull the choke out hard, hold it till it just about dies. Push it in, do it again. That sucks the crud through. Easier than taking the carb apart.

5. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Sounds like your idle passages are obstructed. Just do yourself a favor and take it off and rebuild it right. Then enjoy your ride.

6. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

After looking at it (I had to run to a few places) it looks like the screw for adjusting the idle is backing itself out. Is there a bigger screw I can run or can that arm be changed? Or is there any tricks I dont know to solve this?

7. Maybe alittle locktight?

8. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Would locktight be okay? It did it again to me this morning so I need to do something.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You don't want it immovable! Does it have the spring under it??
    I would use something permanently tacky, like tube type non-hardening Permatex or maybe Elvis on black velvet.