Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old custom. Winfield car? where is it now?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 231ramona, Mar 2, 2009.

1. 231ramona

231ramona

I had an old custom shoebox Ford in the late 70's. Attached is the only picture I have of it. I sold it to someone from Elizibethtown, KY in about 1978. When I purchased the car I was told it was a somewhat famous custom built by Gene Winfield. I believe it is the same car as pictured because it had canted Studebaker tail lights and had been a dark blue metallic at one time. Of course the car had been changed a great deal over the years with a chopped Carson-type top, opened rear wheels and canted dual headlights (none of these changes were an improvement in my opinion). While I don't have proof that it is the same car, I do believe it is and am interested in knowing what happened to it. Several years after I sold it, it was in Hemmings Motor News for sale and was in running condition. That's the last I saw of it. It was very rough when I had it but considering what is restored today it was doable. The person I got it from bought it in Indianapolis. Does anybody know the car?

Attached Files:

2. koolkemp

koolkemp

Betcha wished ya kept it!!

3. 231ramona

231ramona

Yeh, but it was just an old $600 car in the late 70's and there wasn't that much interest in old customs.

4. alchemy

alchemy

The Winfield car has flared front wheelwells all the way around. Your's did not (only on the top). Granted they could have changed out the whole front fender.

Your's also had louvered hood, chopped top, full side panels on the Carson, and the cut rear wheelwells, in addition to the headlight differences you mentioned. The only similarities you can find where the same kind of taillights, and a similar color? Pretty slim chances, I'd say.

If you had a clear pic of your taillights, and we could find a similar pic of the Winfield, then I'd be more apt to say they are the same car.