Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 02-27-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
zeke51

Default jag ifs swap-weld v soft mount

I have a 48 f1 that I am going to put a xj6 IFS into. I have been doing the research and think this is a perfect way to go based on bang for the buck. I am asking this and on FTE to see if there is a consensus. Other than the obvious one (simplicity) is there any advantage/disadvantage if I were to weld in the subframe versus soft mount. It appears I could get a bit more drop in the front end with welding it in. Maybe a bit more strength(?). Would this cause greater problems with the rear mounted r n p? If anyone has welding this setup in I would be interested in any inout you could give. Any help is appreciated pictures even better!
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
aldixie
Alliance Member

Default Re: jag ifs swap-weld v soft mount

I have one in a 1950 Chevy sedan, not driven it much yet but mine is welded in. I did one on a 50 F1 about 8 or 9 years ago and again I welded that one and had no problems. I have an article done by custom car magazine that shows one put into a 50 chevy pickup. PM me and I'll email it to you if you don't already have it.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Vinnie
Grenade Inspector

The few I have seen on this side of the pond are bolt on.

Have a look at this link:

http://www.uk-hotrods.co.uk/v2/garag.../me/page_1.php

He is on the Hamb (Holmsey)
online   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
Flipper
Old School HAMBer

Weld it. They look better when you fill on the space between the frame and the spring pockets.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Evil Wicked Mean & Nasty

What about the avalibility and cost of rebuild brake parts? I've always liked the looks of the Jag IFS and hear they ride and handle good but, I can't help thinking it would be pretty pricy when it comes rebuild time.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
aldixie
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Wicked Mean & Nasty View Post
What about the avalibility and cost of rebuild brake parts? I've always liked the looks of the Jag IFS and hear they ride and handle good but, I can't help thinking it would be pretty pricy when it comes rebuild time.

Parts are readily available at the parts houses including Autozone. They are well built. Rear ends have been used for years in Rods in the UK.

Example of prices:-
Brake pads $21
Rebuilt Calipers $150
Rebuld kits $54
Brake Hose $25
Bearing kits $22
Old 02-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
Spyder

I welded in. No problems with parts. I used a xj6 in a 28 Ford and the springs were way too stiff. I was later advised that softer springs can be had. I had already switched to coil overs. As you know these front ends use 5x4.75 bolt pattern, so it's easy to find wheels in that pattern, but the center of the hub is real big and many wheels won't fit. I recently got a heads up about turning the hubs down on a lathe for easier wheel fit. it was pretty straightforward using the rack w/o power steering.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
Evil Wicked Mean & Nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldixie View Post
Parts are readily available at the parts houses including Autozone. They are well built. Rear ends have been used for years in Rods in the UK.

Example of prices:-
Brake pads $21
Rebuilt Calipers $150
Rebuld kits $54
Brake Hose $25
Bearing kits $22
I'm surprised at that. I guess they aren't too much more expensive to work on than the usual clip job and probably a lot better engeneering. After you figure out if you want to weld or soft mount, I'd like to see some progress pics as you go.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
Flipper
Old School HAMBer

Somebody on here posted this one done to a chevy AD truck. It gives you an idea for how the jag can be blended in with the original frame.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
Retro Jim
Old School HAMBer

I have seen many rods with Jaguar rears and front ends . When I asked about them & parts they all told me they would do it again without any regrets !
WELD it in !
Old 02-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
aldixie
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Wicked Mean & Nasty View Post
I'm surprised at that. I guess they aren't too much more expensive to work on than the usual clip job and probably a lot better engeneering. After you figure out if you want to weld or soft mount, I'd like to see some progress pics as you go.
If you want to airbag them, they are real easy to do as well. I'm using some short front shocks on mine with some air ride front chock mounts welded to the crossmember.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #12
Spyder

When I was playing with mine it turned out some of the front end parts were stainless steel: The steering arms and sway bar mounts. They polished up nice and made the front end look better w/o $.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #13
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

I'd love to see pics!

~Jason
Old 02-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #14
zman
Alliance Member

I'm a big fan of making them bolt in like stock. If need be I can unbolt the one out of my Buick and put another right in.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #15
zeke51

From what I gather its not bad at all. In fact its quite reasonable. THere are several sites that cater to just them. Do it! You know you want to.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #16
zeke51

Thanks to all for the info. I appreciate it.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #17
fredeuce

Have a read of a similar thread posted on the Ozrodders forum here in Australia. Some additional food for thought.

http://www.ozrodders.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=27408
Old 02-27-2009, 04:17 PM   #18
LIFESTYLZ
Old School HAMBer

Just to be different, I grafted the whole front subframe from the jag (firewall forward) to my '49 Lincoln coupe.
This gives me the exact system the Jag engineers designed originally.
Also gives me the ability to front hinge the Lincoln front sheet metal for tilt front.
The Jag front bonnet mount is solid and very easily adjustable.
I have also used the Jag rear end but have custom mounts. Threw the cage away..
Incidentally, the weight of the Jag and the Lincoln are exactly the same. 3950 pounds.
Will post some pics when I get home from Americarna. (big event here in NZ)
Old 02-27-2009, 04:47 PM   #19
zman
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFESTYLZ View Post
Incidentally, the weight of the Jag and the Lincoln are exactly the same. 3950 pounds.
Yeah, when it was suggested for my Buick I figured the weights would be off. The Buick with the cast iron dynaflow and original rear was 4100 lbs. Lose the dynaflow for ST400 and the weight difference in the rears and I was right at the same weight.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #20
cornbinder13
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke51 View Post
I have a 48 f1 that I am going to put a xj6 IFS into. I have been doing the research and think this is a perfect way to go based on bang for the buck. I am asking this and on FTE to see if there is a consensus. Other than the obvious one (simplicity) is there any advantage/disadvantage if I were to weld in the subframe versus soft mount. It appears I could get a bit more drop in the front end with welding it in. Maybe a bit more strength(?). Would this cause greater problems with the rear mounted r n p? If anyone has welding this setup in I would be interested in any inout you could give. Any help is appreciated pictures even better!
Check out what I did with my truck,Igot rid of the cage and went to frame with custom fabbed cross member mount.Any questions feel free to contact me.