Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 02-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default The Polynesian

I'm sure at some point we've had a thread on the H.A.M.B. that thoroughly covered the Polynesian. The Valley Custom built '50 Olds is a legend similar in status to the Hirohata Merc, Kopper Kart, Inman Chrysler, etc... Put simply, it's a car that is ...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Little Wing
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: The Polynesian

It is a nice simple car,,very clean for what it is,nothing to far out or over the top,, I like it

Drag Strips
Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
Gotgas
Alliance Member

Beautiful car. The grille/bumper treatment is my favorite of any custom, and it could not possibly be more simple. It is Valley Customs' finest work, and that is saying something.

Speaking of custom '50 Oldsmobiles, ever take a look at Ray Goulart's Olds?
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
ChevyGirlRox
Old School HAMBer

The Polynesian is a great custom. It was restored nearby to me and debuted in a special customs class at the Glenmoor Gathering, a local concours, back in 2005. Here is the thread I did about the show with pictures of the Polynesian:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ring&showall=1

Last I heard the car was for sale if anyone is interested.

Join the HAMB Book Club!
Old 02-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
COOTER

I always felt that that "bumper" was too heavy to use as a "grill". My eyes keep pushing it down closer to the ground. Otherwise, a beautiful custom.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
G V Gordon
Old School HAMBer

One of my all time favorites. Always a big fan of Valley Customs, the sectioned shoeboxes they turned out (see example) always got my attention.

The Polynesian is a perfect example of the "less is more" school. Simple, understated elegance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valley customs.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	602375  

www.vagabonds.cc

http://www.pinheadlounge.com/gvgordon

Are fake bull scrotums on Chrysler produced pickup trucks considered "Dodge Balls"

Last edited by G V Gordon; 02-18-2009 at 12:12 PM.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
63fdsnr
Grenade Inspector

Another great execution from 'Valley Custom' although, I always think the roof looks a bit too thick. They did a high percentage of beautifully designed and fabricated customs that, as you say, have stood the test of time.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
oddrodgarage
Alliance Member

They turned out some beautiful stuff
Old 02-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
Cyclebilly

Ive always liked that car, its nice a simple.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
JeffreyJames
Old School HAMBer

For the most part customs follow a proven form that resembles a slow liquid like shape taking form from the pavement and inching out. It seems that everyone was striving for the same shape but on their own terms and with individual details to separate them.

The Polynesian (and other sectioned cars) deviates from this design. To me is takes cues from Art Deco styled locomotives because of it's induced speed like look put into it's design. They (sectioned cars) always stop people in their tracks (and most don't know why) but this car in car particular is special. Everything meticulously thought out from the grille opening and bumper that dissects it the the sections seats that prove the car was thought of as a whole and not just one certain aspect. It definitely grows on you if not at first but with time. Section jobs can really hurt a car if they are not proportionately done with relation to the rest and this is the ambassador for them all. Beautiful and timeless I will always have a spot for this one in my heart. Love it.

The rear tail light trim always makes me think of Vegetable Steamers which is a side note but it's really the thing that sticks in my head when I think about this car. Funny Right?
Old 02-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #11
oldandkrusty
Alliance Member

"The rear tail light trim always makes me think of Vegetable Steamers which is a side note but it's really the thing that sticks in my head when I think about this car. Funny Right?"

It's a funny thing that pretty much the only thing I never really liked about this car were the tailights. JeffreyJames analogy to a vegetable steamer must have been the reason, as I wasn't much for veggies back then. Sub-conciously I must have made the connection to the cursed veggies and that is why I don't like the tailights! Otherwise, this car is just spot-on perfect. And, now that I really have learned to love veggies, the tailights have taken on a new glow (pun intended) so they, too, look a-okay.

Valley Custom - simply the best of the best.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
eddie1

I have never been a fan of the front end of this car. I find the front bumper to heavy & the grille opening reminds be of a large mouth bass.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #13
K13
Old School HAMBer

I am probably one of the few but I never really cared for the Valley Custom cars. Incredibly built but I always found them top heavy and thought that the pronounced rooflines took away from an otherwise sleek design acomplished by sectioning.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #14
SinisterCustom
Old School HAMBer

The Polynesian, IMO, blows the Hirohata Merc outta the water.....
It's the perfect blend of modifications and restraint.
One of my favorites for sure.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:58 PM   #15
VanHorton

its a sexy car for sure, its definatly hard to section a car and keep the proportions looking good, and i always used to put down all sectioned cars... but the more you look at a car like the polynesian, the more you can appreciate its form... at least for me anyway!
Old 02-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #16
STEPHEN FIELDS
Old School HAMBer

what a bitchin car, Ive always like it.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #17
LUCIFR

I have to agree with oldandcrusty this car drives me nuts. I cringe when I open magazines and see that headlight/tailight trim also I think it has been sectioned way to much!! Even though valley customs was known for that!! Trying to match the sleek lines of those big 3 drawings.. I still have to give them respect for going out of the box on this one!!
The car does have some nice features and some of there other cars where absolutely stunning too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandkrusty View Post
"The rear tail light trim always makes me think of Vegetable Steamers which is a side note but it's really the thing that sticks in my head when I think about this car. Funny Right?"

It's a funny thing that pretty much the only thing I never really liked about this car were the tailights. JeffreyJames analogy to a vegetable steamer must have been the reason, as I wasn't much for veggies back then. Sub-conciously I must have made the connection to the cursed veggies and that is why I don't like the tailights! Otherwise, this car is just spot-on perfect. And, now that I really have learned to love veggies, the tailights have taken on a new glow (pun intended) so they, too, look a-okay.

Valley Custom - simply the best of the best.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #18
JimA
BANNED

I can remember a few people concerning LA Roadster Jack Stewart and Polynesian Jack Stewart say that they were not the same guy?

Last edited by JimA; 02-18-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #19
Rand Man
Old School HAMBer

I remember reading a big write-up on this car, in an old car mag, many years ago. It covered the entire build. Seems like it may have been spread out over several issues. It was very detailed coverage on the sectioning, etc.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #20
cabriolethiboy

This thread is timely and I apologise if I am hijacking it. John Ballard of Anderson, Indiana, the builder of the Polynesian II (the clone of the Polynesian) just passed away on the 6th of Feburary. He was 71 years old. The clone is not exactly the right color because John was working from photographs only. He never saw the real car (at least while they were building it). John also owned the 41 Willy's that won "Best Engineered" at the 1971 Street Rod Nationals. At the time of his passing he still owned the Willy's, although it was torn apart for a number of years.