Register now to get rid of these ads!

94 and 97 Stripped threads in body- Mr Lancaster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dreddybear, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Lets say, hypothetically speaking, one were to spend endless hours polishing a 94 before carefully assembling the thing just to find that one of the threads is stripped in the bowl. You don't really want to replace the whole bowl. What would you do if you were this unforunate fellow? I want to get a consensus. I've heard someone say to use a helicoil, another said use a little jb weld and drill and retap. Thoughts? This will go in the tech links thread...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. 1952henry

1952henry

Helicoil, I have done it many times. If you don't have a kit, watch epay, they can be had cheap. 10 X 32, I believe. I bought one at a local parts house, ouch, needed vaseline afterwards. Didn't even get dinner first!

3. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Hmm, an interesting question. I have not had this problem, but do not think it's any different than any other small thread problem. Of course, there is the requirement for positive sealing.....fuel. I am sitting here looking at a disassembled 94. I think Helicoil (or equiv.) is the way to go. I'd want to be positive that the drill bit is 90 degrees to the surface. I am not sure if JB Weld will do the trick. I am sure, fairly, that others will offer their opinions.

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

And I should clarify that it's not the seat or jets or anything inside. It's the threads securing the top to the bowl. Thanks for the responses ao far!

5. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Heli-coil is the best, it will be stronger then the original threads. The 97s that I run on my engine, all the 97s are heli-coiled. Tried the JB but couldn't get good threads that would hold..
    Duane.

6. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Awesome. Do you remember what size?

7. 1952henry

1952henry

94s are 10x32, I believe the 97s are 10x24. I helicoiled a 97 (it had two loose screws, compared to my one:)) with 10-32, since I had those handy.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yes, helicoil, and the tooling for that should pretty well pilot on the hole. That is pretty clearly the best way.
    Loctite/Permatex sells special thread former goo...used in once on a bigger bolt, and it worked, but basically don't like the idea much.
    Moving up a size would be a mechanically good repair, but unaestheic and sloppy for a rod. You could actually chuck the bigger screw in a drill press and run it against a file to make it look right...don't like the idea, though.
    Ancient depression dirtbag repair: rock or dolly inside bowl, whack outside of threaded hole with a punch to slightly cave in the thread, tighten screw, go back to harvesting your rutabagas.

9. What if the 3 big holes for the jet plugs are stripped like in my 97 fuel bowl?

10. 1952henry

1952henry

I believe EElCO and others make oversize plugs. Not sure what is used to rethread.

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Haha! I love this....rutabagas...

Thanks everyone for your replies, as I said I'm gonna bring some elementary questions to the board to complete the Holley tech thread. Thanks a million!