Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there any wyotech or other auto trade school teachers out there

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eddytheb, Feb 17, 2009.

1. eddytheb

eddytheb

I have a few real interesting questions for you and hope you can shed some light on what I think is a real big problem.

2. What are the questions ???? There are a lot of people that are involved in the auto industry on the HAMB.

3. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I go to Wyotech..

4. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

If you asked the questions maybe someone here could help, I was a Wyotech grad.

5. Central Community College, Hastings Ne. Autobody Metals Instructor

Fenderless

6. eddytheb

eddytheb

Ok here goes, this is a quick summery I get these guy that are fresh out of school real good sounding on interview day. The last one was Wyotech in PA a real passion for the cars wanted the job so bad and I really kina liked the kid (23 years old but I'm old so he's a kid to me) so I figured I will try it again he tells me all this stuff he learned and did in school. They come in all pumped up that they can do all this stuff and want to work and think they are ready to work on the street rod side (www.eddytheb.com) but I start them in the body shop first (Batavia Collision) a week later there hearts are broke and I'm an asshole because they don't have the first clue or are not able to fill an entry level body shop position. They look at me and say well you have to show me how to fix that dime size dent, what grit paper to use and how to mix the filler I didn't do anything like this in school. The last kid that left here today was crushed, I didn't let him go he just gave up and walked out as we were trying to find a place for him in the shop so he could maybe learn. I cant find anything for him to do other than take out the trash he cost me over $300.00 in broken parts and set us back about ten hours but was still willing to find a way even part time for him to fit in. They all say the same thing I just paid $32k for an education and you say I am not ready for this job in the body shop let alone the street rod end. I am floored every time as for how little they know and how unprepared they are for the work force. I am left being the fuckhead that gives them the reality slap in the face and left feeling like I screwed them over some how. Then the next day they come back with there Mommy and demand all the pay and the Mommy wants to tare me a new ass hole. I never refuse to pay them but one time I would love to hold them responsible for the shit they brake and time they waist. So for the costs of the school what should one of the students be able to do on day one of there new life after school and in the real world. I have tons more on this subject but I am not good with the keys and very frustrated with the hiring process.

7. Guitar Guy

Guitar Guy

I think these schools sound good in theory but they're not that great once you get there. There was a wyotech representative that came to our school and he wouldn't even give me a hat unless i signed up. I respect evreyone's opinions and no offense if you went there but i think the teachers and staff there are a bunch of a holes not to menshion the 30 grand you pay to get in there . I think you're better off going to a small community college that teaches this stuff. Its way cheaper and it more hands on and the classes aren't that big

8. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Wyotech never actually lets there students work on anything from start to finish, they mostly just give a brief overview of what is involved and they let them do a little bit of work in different stages. Unless the students who go there have previous work experience to go along with there education they really won't know much more than any other bum off the street. Wyotech is all about image, they tell the students that they are knowledgeable and ready for the work force and they get out and many of them find out how little they know.

9. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow he couldn't fix a dime size dent the basic collision 1 program is where he should have learned that and if he went on to the street rod program they really nail that stuff home. I don't know about the PA campus. But in California none of the teachers have told me m gonna be a badass fabricator or body man when I finish. I will start at the bottom and have to prove my self I'm 27 and have loved cars my whole life but. Don't expect that will carry any weight when I'm out looking for a job. I hope as afuture graduate of Wyotech one bad employee doesn't spoil your thoughts about all of us. I'm glad you shared your concerns that will help me to get all my ducks in a row and to make sure I am prepared to enter the work force. I would like to here more?

10. I'm afraid I had the same experience hiring grads from MMI (the motorcycle trade school) as well. Two years of school and one guy couldn't pull the rear tire off a Softail and the other stripped a drain plug doing an oil change, after I had to remove the filter for him. Oh and I forgot the first I tried from one of these schools that spent over an hour staring at a bike when I gave him a work order for a 5000 mile service, with a break down of whats in the service!
    I'm sure there are plenty of good guys that come out of those schools, but it seems that they are just interested in getting their money so "Everyone passes".

11. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We get to work start to finish man Cali can't be that different?

12. eddytheb

eddytheb

I wish just one time someone would give me the money they spend on the school so I can use that for the kids paycheck and you bet they would be something when it was over. But instead they spend it on a school and then want the shop owner to pay them and teach them what they should have picked up in school.

13. llonning

llonning

I feel for you. I have all kinds walk into my shop looking for a job. They all say the same thing. "I can do a good job for you!"

The big problem is I have a small engine shop. They are not the same as a SBC, SBF or any other auto engine. Yes, basics are the same, but that is where it ends.

As almost everything today they think just because they "went to school" they learned how to do the job. NOT so. Mostly not being able to diagnose a problem.

A healthy dose of reality is what these people need, unfortunately you have been, probably will be again, on the recieving end. I eliminated the problem for me by working solo. Plays hell with the wife and my projects, but that is what it takes for peace of mind for me.

Better luck in the future with you hires.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  14. eddytheb

eddytheb

Here's a funny thing if you call the school for a reference they say they cant talk about or give any info not even grades due to the privacy act

15. eddytheb

eddytheb

gr8ness13 let this tread run for a day or so and then show it to your instructor

16. In Ontario we have an Apprenticeship system. You dont get to go to school until after a year at least often two of on the job experience. It takes 9000 hours to get enough time in to write your licence and you can get some of that wacked of if you can prove that there is a very good reason you should but it must be industry related. I taught Provincial Trade school for 7 years as a contractor. I am a Product of it was well. 9000 hours = 5 years BTW. They work during their apprenticeship earning a living but must do three trade school sections of six weeks each. Doesnt mean it weeds out all the duds but most quit on their own if it isnt their thing. I am real big on the classroom a part too but I thinkthe apprenticship program is a great addition to it. When the successfull finish trade school and have their 9000 hours or equivilant in they can write their licence. It is no giveaway either and some dont make it. It is easier now then it was back in the day because there is a shortage of tradesmen and they want to correct that. i was never one who thought making it easier was a good idea.
    Having said all that despite my hard nosed attitude sometimes I try and remember what it was like when I didnt know or understand. I have worked for two real tyrants in my life. One owned a garage and the other a machine shop. I remember what it felt like to be considered stupid and always try never to forget how demeaning that was. If one is willing to learn what they dont seem to know I have all the time in the world to help correct that. If they have "attitude" though I have zip for them.
    Don

17. ST. 515

ST. 515
    from TEXAS

eddytheb, everything you said is so true...the tech school are not teaching them anything...i could go on for hours about the kids i've hired and fired from tech schools.
    i'm glad i'm not the only one who feels this way.

-Saint

18. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will also from my understanding they are suppose to give you that info plus the school helps to put together a resume and I thought as a potencial employer they are supposed to divalge info on our attendance and grades. They made it seem that way to me that's why I have perfect attendance and have stayed in the 90 percent range in all classes. Because they say future employers look at all that stuff.

19. eddytheb

eddytheb

I know how it works in the great white north and think its a sweat setup for sure. I try ever so hard to handle it so no one gets there feelings hurt but I feel like shit every time it happens but I can lose money because I like some one.
    Now there's a bit more the he and most pull that had nothing to due with the school and I worked around that also. First week there day three had to have it off to go to family court over child support that he never told me about. Week two had to have the day off because his alternator broke. He said he would be in early the rest of the week(we start at 7 he starts at 8) but showed up after 8. So let is more than just the school part there is a real lack of responsibility among new hires. I cant remember the last time some one started and made it two weeks with out having personal issues.

20. eddytheb

eddytheb

Does it not make you feel like an asshole when you got to give it to them strait

21. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

seem this is a problem for any skilled trade....kids see dollar signs and dont relize these dollars are earned...not a hand out for being there....

dont seem to understand PRODUCTION: exceptable quality of produced in an exceptable amount of time...while maintaining pride in your work...

i think a lot times , a career looks attractive to someone, they spend a fortune for education, get out in the real world...and figure out they cant cut it, or it just isnt for them...and guess they owe all that money they borrowed for education..they're screwed!

sometimes just a bad attitude or piss poor work ethic...

aw'f**k....i'm done talkin ...it pisses me offff

22. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

My brother attended Wyotech as did two of the guys i work with.

Its not so much the school as it is the student. They only get out of it what they put into it. You cant teach somebody that doesnt want to learn.

While my brother was at the PA campus i visited and was really taken back by the amount of fucktards that are there just to say they went. The majority of the kids i met didn't care and were drunk the entire time i was there. The guys that had their head on straight have good solid jobs these days and are still progressing.

My brother has been out of Wyotech over 2 years, continued to take other course, as well as worked in the field 5 years and is set to take over a 25 yr old business within the next year. Some of those kids do learn.

23. ST. 515

ST. 515
    from TEXAS

Yes, these kids are not ready for the real world. They know nothing about putting in a hard days labor or being reponsible for the mistakes on the job. Most do not have the basic skills or common sense to figure things out. I fell bad when I have let them go. I've spent alot of money correcting there f#%kups in the shop. It is hard to find skilled help.

-Saint

24. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

book lernin coledge ain't no gud for nobuddee!!!

Seriously, like most trade schools, it will give you the tools to succeed. No school will give you the talent, drive, or experience. Come to think of it, you have a better chance of becoming president.

25. old1946truck

old1946truck

I'm in the General Motors ASEP program and Its a two year program I graduate in May. I go to school for 8 weeks then I work a a GM dealership for 8 weeks. We study one subject at a time like for one 8 weeks we will go over engine repair and engine performance . And then when we go back it will be something different. Its really not that bad of a program even thought a lot of the stuff you have to learn at the dealership because you might be working on only one brand like Chevrolet or GMC.

26. Painter D

Painter D
    from DFW

I agree with several of the previous posts.

Alot of these schools aren't teaching "real world" practices and leave people thinking they're going to walk into a shop and be a badass. When that obviousley isn't the way it is going to be. I've hired (paint) preppers that went to those schools that ended up quitting on the first day due to a sad reality check and realizing that they are ill equipped to do a simple task. Unfortunately at that point they're out a boatload of money that got them nowhere. I've been a collision painter since I was 18 ,and wouldn't recommend any of those schools for anyone interested in this career.

IMO experience is the only real teacher in any trade.

27. nsh57

nsh57

I went to Wyo Tech back in 2001 at the Laramie Campus. I took the collision, refinishing, chassis/High perf. engine, and Street rod/Custom Paint classes. Before wyotech, I had a good understanding of mechanics. No experience in body or paint. I've been working in custom and high performance shops since school.

My point is this. You only get out what you put in. As for experience, Wyo Tech will not give you ANY JOB EXPREIENCE! 75% of what I know now, was learned AFTER school. You can't teach someone how to fabricate. You can show them how, and let them try it.

Eddytheb, it sounds like you've gotten more than one of the guys who didn't put in much. But these young guys (i'm pretty young myself) need a reality check. It just sucks for you because of your money and time invested. Just know that there are good, honest, hard working guys out there... the hard part is finding them.

28. havi

havi

Graduated from the local tech school for autobody back in 1999. I was older than everyone else already (I was 29), and of the others, I think 3 got jobs out of school. The rest didn't take it seriously, I guess. So, I believe it is more the student than the school. Problem I see with Wyotech, is that it's plastered all over TV, and so that brings with it, the ones that only go for the so-called fame. Not all, but some. Thing ya have to understand is when you graduate, you are entering a workforce where the others may have already graduated and already put their time in for experience. Noone should leap past that. My $.02

PS: my teachers back in '99 were in their 60's and had lots and lots of old school knowledge. Heck we started day one oxy/acetyl welding. 95% hands on for 2 1/2 years, not really book learnin'..but again, old school.

29. I am graduate from Wyo Tech also. I have to agree with many others on here the schools only give you the basics. I still learn new things everyday. I had students in my class that couldnt even spell weld and still passed. Maybe you could come up with a small test to give your applicants. In others words a small welding sample along with a few dents in a junk fender and other basic things you expect them to be able to do.

30. RodStRace

RodStRace

Gotta agree that the person is the main tool to make something out of the school. I went through a tech school with ~20 others. 5 had jobs turning wrenches 6 months out. All it did back then was get your foot in the door. YOU had to do the job.
    ASE certs can be a joke too. First guy I met with one was brought into the shop as a manager trainee, skipping 2 levels. An hour later, I had to show him how to change and set points! I've got a bunch of them now, but it's all book learning and test taking ability, not practical knowledge. I'm a master painter according to ASE, but you don't want me painting your car! I can do the diagnosis and mechanical though.