Register now to get rid of these ads!

ID Artillery Wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike hamel, Feb 14, 2009.

1. mike hamel

mike hamel

If anyone needs help id'ing any artillery wheels. I can help you. I have had 100's of artillery wheels and am very knowledgeable in which is which. Even spoke wheels too. only 30's to 40's wheels. Thanks. Just posting this to help anyone out.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

Cool...I have a friend that is kind of laid up that has about a dozen arty wheels, they look to me like chevy but I don't know. I will go see him and get some pictures to post.

thanks,
    george

3. This is the best picture I have of my brothers car at the time. Can you tell what the wheels are from.

[​IMG]

4. 5window

5window

Can't tell you where they're from, but I can tell you where they should go. Cool wagon, wrong wheels.

5. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

The wheels don't Look as bad as those Lame Ass Flammed Fender Skirts.

Sorry Man, But What The Fuck ?

6. never got a solid answer on this one

[​IMG]

7. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hey Swade41! Those are 4 lug Nash wheels! Might be a Hudson. My kowledge though is a nash.

8. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hey, Yes those are 16x4.5 Dodge Plymouth Artillery wheels that are made by BUDD. They were on cars and trucks throughout the mid to late 30's. The bolt pattern too is 5x4.5.

9. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hi George, Yes just posts some pictures and I will let you know what they are!

10. Thanks,What year ya think ?

11. mike hamel

mike hamel

Im thinking about a 1934-1939.

12. Southfork

Southfork

I have a pair of 5 X 5 1/2" artillery wheels. One is painted and one is chromed or possibly stainless. Were they made by Ford, or some other company? Why would one be factory chromed/stainless? They have 10 spokes, as I recall. Can't get a picture right now, but later when snow melts a little.

13. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hi, I have a number of artillery wheels that are chrome 5x5.5. These are made by Kelsey Hayes and were one of the only wheels that were used back in the dry lakes era of ho rodding. If they are like what I have seen and have. They are steel and they where just an upgraded wheel you could buy when you bought the wheels new in the 30's and 40's.

14. mike hamel

mike hamel

These might be the wheels you are talking about....

Attached Files:

15. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I have some of those and they are Hudson or Terraplane.

16. mike hamel

mike hamel

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Yes sorry for thinking they were Nash's. These wheels are Hudson Terraplane wheels. 1936.

17. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Yes, mine were on an optional Hudson flex axle front end. Weird setup that they didn't stick with long. Unusual to see 4 bolt 16 inch wheels.

18. mike hamel

mike hamel

Yes, It is very unusual to see that. I also know that Willy's came with 4 lug. I am not an expert on 4 lug wheels but I do know some. I have compiled so much information and I am only 19 years old.

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

Can you id these for me? 5on5.5 bolt pattern, I can't remember the diamter, but I think they were wider maybe a 6" wide rim?

Attached Files:

20. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I need center caps for these wheel's, plain, all matching,after market, mis matched any leads would be a great help.. Or if anybody has modified a set of caps to fit, links info anything... Thank's ryan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are 16"x4.5" Plymouth/Dodge/ Artillery's

21. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hey, these wheels are Kelsey Hayes Ford 16x4.5 Old Ford Wheels. The bolt pattern is 5x5.5. These were one of only a few styles of artillery's that were used out at the lakes in the 40's and 50's. You have a hub cap too which is really rare. I have never personally seen this wheel with a hub cap on it. Rare wheel.

22. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hey, I have lots of these wheels and I have never yet to be able to come across a set of hub caps. Wait. Yes I may have some hub caps for your first pictured wheels. The wheel has just a ring around it for the hub cap instead of clips.

23. makes sense, the guy was into Hudsons

24. 33mopower

33mopower

Hey mike Can the rivets be drilled out and the centers installed and welded in wider hoops like say 6".

25. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I have some of them Chrome centered wheels and they are marked "CLEVE-WELD" not Keley Hayes

26. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hi, Yes you just grind the rivets on the inside ring of the wheel. Inside where the tire mounts. Grind then use a punch to pop to rivets out. You will have to measure the diameter of the center and match it up with a aftermarket hoop. It is a very easy process which I have done on many wheels. Thanks, Mike

27. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Sorry to spam, but if you know where I could find some Plymouth 17" artillery wheels (4.5" BP), I would sure appreciate it.

28. mike hamel

mike hamel

No, Those are most definitely Kelsey Hayes. I have Cleve-Weld aka Cleveland Welding who made the General Jumbo wheels back as an another accessory wheel. They make 14" 16" and all different width. Most narrow being 4.5 and widest 6.5. The picture I included is a chevy version of the Cleve Weld wheels.

Attached Files:

29. mike hamel

mike hamel

I may have 4 for sale if you would be interested! Just let me know.

30. Good to know that someone has knowledge of these wheels.
    I'm laid-up,(health and weather), right now, and there is a guy who is after the two 17" arties (5-lug on ?) with new Denmans that came on my '33 Olds.
    I would sell them if I knew I couldn't use them.
    Could you tell me if they will fit any other spindles that use hydraulic brakes? I can't get to them to measure the bolt pattern, and have not had any luck finding out. I also don't know for sure if any other brake assemblies fit those spindles and what caps fit those wheels. Thanks.