Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oh No!!! It Can't Be...Another Gasser Build? Yup, 1961 Buick Skylark

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BloodyKnuckles, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Well, here we go guys. I have officially started the deconstruction of our 1961 Skylark. My wife and I have thought about this for a long time. We have owned the car for about 2 years now and have not enjoyed it due to numerous problems.

We found out going low was not a good choice for this car. There were to many hurdles to get it as low as we wanted and the final result wasn't exactly what we thought. We've been having many, many problems with the trans and electrical stuff so a complete renovation had to happen.

Here's what we started with;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's where we are now;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are only 3 bolts that hold the front suspension and engine in place and 2 at the transmission. Pretty neat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have been collecting parts for a while now and have a bunch more to collect.

I am planning a 401 or 425 nailhead, Olds/Pontiac rear, leaf springs and ladder bars in the rear, parallel leafs and a '39 Chevy truck axle slid forward about an 1 1/2".

I have started fabricating the front crossmember to hold the shackles and attach the engine cradle. I've got a long way to go.

I will keep you posted.

BloodyKnuckles

2. LPRS

LPRS

wow, a buford gasser? i have seen quite a few done the resto rod route (like yours started) or mild kustom, but that should be kool. strip the chrome but leave the port holes in the fender. that should be bitchin.

3. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Go man go!

4. biscaynes

biscaynes

you got me hooked! keep the updates comin! ;)

5. Sweet!
    Someone has to photoshop that for you.

6. Dude!! I remember the first time you showed that car here- That is one sweet ride-- I love those cars. This is going to be the COOLEST gasser I've ever seen!! LOVE IT!!

7. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

'Got a few problems with this car, so I going to make a gasser out of it.' Now that is some good hamb logic. I'll keep my eye out for this build. Good luck with it!

8. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Wow, Quite an undertaking! I have 2 of those cars. My black one is getting slammed and the other one is a motor and tranny donor for my roadster project. That is a direction I had not thought of, Gasser, Cool!

[​IMG]

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

lmao, I didn't any Ford parts in his list. :rolleyes:

I'll keep my eye out for 401's and 425's.
    I'm building one right now for a customer.

10. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Looks cool. I'll be watching this one.

I'd looooove to have that baby pin-head 215... Shame I'm broke or I'd make you an offer on it. :D

11. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

Ill be watching this progress. Always wondered how one would look. Theres a 61 that comes here for the Buick drags that has a Grand National motor, and it screams. Stock suspension set up on it though.

12. Looks like a plan, Bloody!

Will you and the group be at the Autofair in April? I'd like to get by and see the progress when I come down!

13. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

Bitchin project!!

14. truckdude1

truckdude1

Are these Skylarks along with similar vintage Pontiac Tempests based on the same architecture as the Chevy Corvair, but with the engine up front? I would assume they have different subframes but use the same unibody? There was a pretty fast Poncho in Hot Rod about a year ago with turbos hidden where the 'vair engine would live.

15. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

Gassers rule, great project!

16. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

17. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

18. wow man wow! I can't wait to see all that sick off road suspension knowledge on display. How high are we going here? I think Heather should need a retractable ladder upon entry. When the door closes it should fold itself back up out of site.

An injected nailhead would be the shit - hide some street injection an old hilborn set up. make it look IVO style.

are you going to have some sick type rear ladder bars - built out of square tube with truss reinforcement? oh yeah I thought nobody cared about this car??? wtf??

19. Damn you guys with the injected nailheads!!! I love the idea and will look into it. My man Tudor was beating my ear about a blower, I hate him to.

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. I am so stoked about this project. I have so many ideas floating around in the 'ol noggin it's beginning to drive me crazy.

I will be building long ladder bars that will attach to the tranny crossmember, very similar to what Tudor posted. I will also be building a roll bar that will be painted a heavy silver flake.

I will be doing front discs due to Heather driving it. It has got to be safe. I'll also be changing the master cylinder to a dual.

I have alot of cleaning and smoothing of the engine compartment but am looking forward to it.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'll be working on it tonight so I should have a few new pics soon.

BloodyKnuckles

20. Ron you rule...i'm not sure if i should cry or be excited...that thing looked perfect, and to cut up an nice original...somewhat sadish, but hell it's yours and it's going to be a cool gasser. i like it either way...

now for a challenge....will Dave have the Dodge on the road or will you have that on the road first? Dixie Fried?

Keep the pics coming!

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm leaning towards a couple of McCulloch's on a Nailhead for shits and giggles... But the injection sounds nice. Personally I like injection and blown.:D:D

22. One thing I want everyone to understand....I refuse to cut this thing up! I plan to utilize original mounting locations and space. If it doesn't fit I will adjust it but I won't just cut it for the sake of cutting.

That being said...PBRmeASAP you have all the right reasons to be excited!

And as for the challenge...IT'S ON BITCHES!!!

BloodyKnuckles

BTW...My 1000th post is next so it's a milestone for me so I better have a good reason to post!

23. evilone0528

evilone0528

When the hell do you have time to work!?

Cool project man,cant wait to see the rest!

Evil

24. slammed

slammed

Such a clean car to start with! Will it be slightly raised, moderately or street freak?

25. reece

reece
    from NC

Looks good.

My vote is street freak!

26. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

That will make one hell of a Gasser!

Nick.

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

If you change the wheel base isn't now considered an altered? Heather should be excited about driving an altered or what ever you want to call it. It's way rad and I am excited to see it back in action.

28. Ron if you were a girl i'd give ya a big kiss!

I'm really looking forward to this, keep us posted!

29. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

dave vs ron????? hhmmmmnnnnn whos my money on?

30. I'm SO glad you said that, Ron. I cringed this morning when I saw this thread. I mean, I got a lot of respect for you and it's your car and all......and I didn't wanna sound like a restorer :eek:....but that little car looked TOO nice to make a gasser out of:eek: I was seeing it with a set of 14" Tru-Spokes and maybe some abalone flake on the top :cool:.
    whew......
    I got faith in ya ;)
    Hope to see y'all at Charlotte