Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 01-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #1
wheels777
Grenade Inspector

Default 6-71 Blower Install

This subject has been discussed before. But, there never seams to be a step by step process included. I have a 6V-71 core that was given to me. It is in decent condition. Building a manifold is not an issue. How do I set-it up to run on a SBC? The goal is to do and spend as little as necessary to install on a low buck rod. Can something as simple as multiple timing belts be used to drive the blower? Do the end covers get sealed (with a breather) and filled part way with oil?
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
krooser
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: 6-71 Blower Install

Build your manifold first. Various length drive snouts will get you close on you belts then you can shim the pulleys to get everyting lined up.

You need high speed bearings and new seals.. the stock blower runs on engine oil via an oil line. The front cover runs in 80W90 gear oil... the rear bearings are packed with grease.

You also need a rear beraing plate and modify the front cover by making a "triangle" plate so you can fill the cover with lube. Aftermarket covers will usually have a pressure relief valve installed.. it's not a toy to impress your friends with... the cover's seals need some pressure to keep sealing properly.

Visit the sites of BDS, Dyers Blower Service and others for more info.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
JC Sparks

Here is a question I've been ask a hundred times at the track, How much oil goes in the front cover? 20 ounces. JC
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
Homespun91
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels777 View Post
This subject has been discussed before. But, there never seams to be a step by step process included. I have a 6V-71 core that was given to me. It is in decent condition. Building a manifold is not an issue. How do I set-it up to run on a SBC? The goal is to do and spend as little as necessary to install on a low buck rod. Can something as simple as multiple timing belts be used to drive the blower? Do the end covers get sealed (with a breather) and filled part way with oil?
I would recommend that you invest about $20-25 and buy the book Street Supercharging by Pat Ganahl... http://www.motorbooks.com/Store/ProductDetails_7667.ncm

Life's a bitch. If it was easy, it would be a slut.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
Shifty Shifterton
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
The goal is to do and spend as little as necessary to install on a low buck rod.
Buy a used $75 manifold that's got stripped threads or a crack and fix it. The whole notion of making a readily available SBC manifold is absurd.

Now you've got all that fab time saved up for making your drive system.

One unavoidable obstacle is the physics of drive belts transferring power and the amount of torque it's gonna take to turn a 6/71. You'll probably find that when 3 or 4 timing belts are summed up it makes $$ sense to use a real blower belt and looks less hillbilly.

When you start talking about using a real blower belt, suddenly looking for a used piecemeal pulley set, or buying 2 pulleys and making one, become viable options.

Sometimes the cheapest way to go fast is spend money. Yes you read that right.
When talking used SBC speed parts, it's real hard to make something for less than you can buy it.

good luck

Last edited by Shifty Shifterton; 01-20-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
Kerry
Alliance Member

He said it was a 6v71. Nobody makes manifolds for that blower so he's on his own.

www.vagabonds.cc
Old 01-20-2009, 08:34 AM   #7
Richard D
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
He said it was a 6v71. Nobody makes manifolds for that blower so he's on his own.
Isn't that the most popular size?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
revkev6
Old School HAMBer

6/71 gmc blower:

6V-71

Old 01-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
Shifty Shifterton
Old School HAMBer

Oops, I went by the title. Yeah a V manifold is an issue on a budget.

FWIW you can put aftermarket drive non-V snouts onto a V with minor trimming and use readily available 4/6/8-71 drive stuff.

good luck
Old 01-20-2009, 08:42 AM   #10
Ebbsspeed
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D View Post
There is a difference between a 6-71 and a 6v-71. The 6-71's were used on the inline engines, and were mounted on the side of the motor. The 6v-71's are from the V-type engines, and mounted between the cylinder banks, and have a completely different mounting scheme.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #11
brandon
Old School HAMBer

a customer of mine had a dyers v6-71 setup.....used a 1/2" or so thick plate that was bolted to a regular manifold....looked fairly easy to replicate....must have worked , as his little s10 with a stock cam and decent heads and short block went 10.70's with the deal.......
Old 01-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #12
dbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D View Post
The "6v" has a weird case (for lack of a better word). Its NOT what you would see normally. Dyer's makes a manifold for one but probably not too many used ones laying around. Others make 'replacement' cases (use the other parts internally) that will fit the 'normal' 6-71 manifolds.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #13
Tony
Alliance Member

I had a Dyer's prepped V6-71 blower on my old 32 coupe too. The intake that was used to build the blower manifold was an Offy low rise dual quad intake.
They machined off the whole carb area and welded a flange to the existing intake that accepted the blowers bolt pattern.
Considering the area the dual quad's take up on the intake, i still think that idea would be the best way to approach this. Only because the area below what's needed to be removed is already close to the length of the blower flange.
Just my thought's only because of what i had myself.

As far as belts, i agree with Shifty on this. I'd look around for non V style components and make them work. Of if you feel real crafty, make your own V-belt drive assembly for it..

Deffinately spend some time visiting, and talking to the people at the blower sites. They know what they are talking about and will be able to lead you in the right direction.

Tony.

"You are cordially invited to shit in your hat"
-Chili Phil-

Do you need a open 32 Ford registration for your display case?? I have a NY one perfect for framing! contact me.

Last edited by Tony; 01-20-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #14
Richard D
Old School HAMBer

Oh snap, I missed the "V". I remember being down in the engine room of my dad's boat, had 6-71 diesels in it; and seeing the blowers, and thinking how cool it would be to put one on the family car...
Old 01-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #15
Kenneth S

Quote:
You could use multiple v-belts (like 2 or 3) to drive it (it's the cheapest way to drive it), the only downside (the main reason v-belt drives aren't used) is that the belts start slipping when the blower starts making 6 psi or more of boost, if 6 psi is enough for you v-belts will be ok (it would be nostalgic looking).
Old 01-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #16
KeithDyer
Grenade Inspector

6-71 mounts with straight up studs and bolt holes, 6V-71 has an angle set-up with splayed bolts / lugs to hold it down.

I think the rotors and gears might be the same but the case is the problem.

K
Old 01-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #17
Kenneth S

Sell the 6v-71, and get a 6-71 it's easier to deal with, plus part are more readily available for the 6-71.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #18
continentaljohn
Old School HAMBer

Kerry, Dyers make a intake for the V671. It's a low profile inake and a very neat setup. I'll look for a picture of it. I know a Hamber that has problems with Blowing rearends using one of them V671's.
I have a Duel Quad intake for a SBC that I'm going to sell off for 120 bucks. What you would have to do is install a Pop Off valve onto the intake or blower plate to install the V671. Oh yea have a v671 forsale too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
Old 01-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #19
Kenneth S

Dyer USED to make a sbc 6v-71 intake in the 70's.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #20
Tony
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth S View Post
Dyer USED to make a sbc 6v-71 intake in the 70's.

EXACTLY. I called them last year and talked with a tech because i had the rebuilt V series on my bench... He said they CAN still make one, but it would be a little over 800$ to do it..NOT worth the money.
The one i had on my coupe was one of thier's.

Short of fabricating your own items to make the V6-71 work, it will be COSTLY...

I sold mine and bought a nice, used 6-71 instead, and i know i'm further ahead.

Tony

"You are cordially invited to shit in your hat"
-Chili Phil-

Do you need a open 32 Ford registration for your display case?? I have a NY one perfect for framing! contact me.