Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone see the HOT ROD magazine coverage of the HCPU 08?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnboy13, Jan 15, 2009.

1. johnboy13

johnboy13

It read like a National Geographic article. Here we see the RAT ROD in its natural environment. Apparently every car at the Hunnert Car was a "Rat Rod". I loved the line about how rat rodders stick together by forming car clubs. You'd think that the same publishers of HOT ROD Deluxe would get it by now.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

and the rat rod piss and moan debate continues... (((yawn)))

3. Hellfish

Hellfish

well, I guess if you drive a piece of crap, Ratfink, you don't mind when people call it a piece of crap, er, "rat rod".

I haven't seen the article yet, but I look forward to it! Thanks!

4. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

jeesh...youd think your lil show was huge with all this coverage lately ;)
    cant wait to get my issue!

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

see, perfect example of the pissing and moaning I was refering to.

6. Then they called the gold Model A with the RAT ROD zoomie headers a traditional hot rod...

There is a difference...

Sure the lines get blended sometimes... but the negative connotation attached to RAT RODS makes many RAT ROD owners think they have Traditional Hot Rods...

Then there are people who just discount the whole label thing... "Labels are lame" , "names are stupid" and how long will it take before some smart ass posts "I like hot rods"???

That's a cop out.... nut-up and tell it like it is.

Either they just want to please everyone and come across as a self proclaimed HERO... or they want people to think their RAT ROD is a TRADITIONAL HOT ROD...

Lame.

My only complaint about the article is that they didn't get it right.

Sam

7. Hellfish

Hellfish

hahaha! Now I really want to see the article! You can't expect much from a muscle car mag though.

8. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

I want to see the article.........

9. magnet

magnet

:)

All my hard work .. making it my personal goal to educate the masses about the evils of RAT RODS.. :)

Well, i appreciate the coverage, anything to make the pileup a better show is good by me.

But it seems that RAT ROD is now my own personal litmus test..

If i hear someone use it.. i know they don't "get it".. looks like the magazines for the most part.. bandwagon magazines (not TRJ or a couple others) .. really don't get it.. they just have to follow the $$$ and not the truth.

But heck.. cant complain for free coverage :)

Cant wait to see the pics, hope there are some good ones.

10. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Labels... Geez Louise.

Why the hell do we care if some muscle car guy calls your car anything at all.
    I don't care if it impresses the masses, but I do hope the few who do understand it can appreciate it.

11. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

I cant beleive they said Drews hemi coupe would fit in a rat rod camp WTF....

12. Hot Rod sucks. It's not even a muscle car mag, calling it that is like giving it a pass. Muscle cars dont have LS1's, 5.0's or 5.7 hemi's, DIS ignition and 20 inch wheels. The "hotrodding" thay promote is out of reach to most of the western world in price alone. Oh yea, rat rods suck to!!!

13. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

cant we just stick with.....CONGRATS CZARS AND DW for putting on one hellofa show, and its great your in hot rod!! ????

14. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

+1..........another show I really want to make it out to

15. I agree. When someone says ratrod I know they don't get it at all. I just look at them and say, "Yeah sure" then walk away. I hate labeling/stereotyping. The magazines are looking to make money obviously and have to be on bandwagons/trends as they come. I just wish they would have more of a heartbeat towards the real rodders/buyers. Trendsters suck.

As far as magazines go I only get TRJ and Traditional Rod N Kulture. I started out with the Original CK Deluxe when it was the good shit, Zombie, Shag, Branden as contributors and was based in Bako. When they had to sell it I knew they would come out with a better mag eventually. Every issue of TRnK gets better. HR magazine is a joke. I don't really think all that much of any of the other mags that are available. I wish Garage didn't go defunct as it seems. Garage was interesting because of the strange diversity and was an interesting read. JJ hasn't said anything officially. So I check the magazine stand from time to time in hopes Garage survived .

The Hunnert car pile up is a great show. One of the ones I want to go to eventually. You guys in the Chrome Czars do a helluva job. PROPS to ya'll!-Weeks

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I agree with you, Todd............

But, I was really surprised (maybe I shouldn't be) at how they covered the HCPU. I didn't really like it at all - of course, that's just my opinion. I had been liking Hot Rod mag. lately, too.

Check out the latest Hot Rod Deluxe for even more coverage.

The 'Rat Rod' term gets thrown around too much in both mags.

Malcolm

17. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

the only Hot Rod Mag I like is my issues from the 50s and 60s the new stuff SUCKS!

18. HotRod33

HotRod33

Well said TODD....What does it matter that the magazine calls something a rat rod....The HCPU is a great show and there are a lot of different cars there....Start up your own magazine and call the cars whatever you want.....

19. Hellfish

Hellfish

c'mon up. We'll give you a beer. :)

20. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

Dont tell anyone but I dont drink thats the wifes job, and since she discovered lonestar beer i dont know if I can get her out of Texas lol

[​IMG]

21. This thread is about as boring as Hot Rod has been for the last 20 years.

22. Lucky77

Lucky77

Is it October yet:rolleyes: I can't wait for the Pileup:D Congrats on the coverage even if they don't get it.

23. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

can i get one to?????:eek::)

chicken man....your wife looks hot holdin that beer!!! ;)

24. ...I read the article, in my opinion. they didn't get it completely right; .... but it was nice to see the Hunnert get some more ink. A couple of the cars shown are our club members cars. (Tin Butchers)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  25. Hellfish

Hellfish

DW made sure our host bar for the pre/post parties was stocked with Lone Star AND PBR. Your wife would feel right at home... except for the cold. :D

Breeder, you know you'd help yourself anyway! ;)

26. HRM is not a scenester mag with a bunch of Rockerbillies and 4 door primered shitboxes... It IS a magazine that does a very good job at summing up what hot rodders are doing with their cars.

For instance this month they have an article on a 1920's flathead four cylinder Bonneville roadster... home brewed no less.

Sam

27. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

HaHaHa yea she has lived in Florida her whole life, and finally saw her first snow in Houston of all places.........She complains about the cold here she should have known me when I lived near Watkins Glenn N.Y

28. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

That whole hundred car pileup stuff iss crap .20 year old guys with old cars ,tats and pomps or shaved heads withe beards.And enough metal hanging off there faces to supply ford motor company for life. Saying this is how it was in the old days,Ugly ass chicks with white hair and those ugly ass glasses wearing crap no girl in the old days would wear.Was there a worm hole we went through that changed history ? Or are these kids just nuts.

29. magnet

magnet

Dude, that beer your wife is holding looks gooooood.. :)

I will personally buy her as many beers as she can drink if ya'll come up for pileup in '09.. as long as you promise to bring me a case of them Lone Stars :) I like the tall boys.. they are normal sized for guys like me.

:)

Hod Rod has street cred with car guys in general, it has been around for a gazillion years and has a solid rep. BUT.. lost its way in the 80's and has just been .. chasing bandwagons ever since.. IMHO.

But thats where the circulation and the money is.. muscle car guys and gold chainers.. pay big cash for cars parts and accessories... and thats business.

Traditional hot rodders, buy an expensive part once in a while.. on ebay or at a meet or one of their friends.. or make it.. cause almost all the parts they buy are old and "traditional" heheh i like to say recycled sometimes :)
    Companies are re-popping some of that stuff.. but the draw is on the old.. and the companies that advertise in Hot Rod.. well they cant make or profit from that "used part" economy.

So it puts all of us in a bind.. the big mags with the clout and cred cant make it if we dont patronize their offerings.. the little mags can profit from it because they focused a bit more on specifics and scenes and culture.

And all of the traditional rodders loose out because the price of their "recycled" parts go through the roof.

They have awesome tech articles and know what they are talking about.. if you are adjusting the power curve in your TPI vette.

30. magnet

magnet

'Zactly why i dislike the term RAT ROD so much..

Go ahead.. generalize a bit more.. about something you know nothing about.. and lump all that under the term RAT ROD. Because ALL the cars at the pileup are RAT RODS.

(i know you didn't say anthing about rat rods in your post.. i'm just trying to make a point about generalizations, assumptions and misdirected intentions.. the intent of the pileup isn't to try to replicate the '50's.. nor is it about clothes, scene, metal in your face, or what chicks wear.... its a traditional hot rod car show)

But i digress.. this thread is about pileup coverage in Hot Rod Magazine.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009