Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > Traditional Customs

Old 01-13-2009, 09:41 PM   #41
36C8
Grenade Inspector

Default Re: Dean Jeffries' Mantaray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotgas View Post

I remember this shot from the Mission Impossible series, where they were "trying" to convince their target that he'd been in a coma, all the way into the "1970's"! This is what he saw looking out of the window of his hospital room.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #42
Ryan
Administrator

Bingo!

Ryan Cochran

"Skating the same line since 1976..."
.................................................. ....
www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
Old 01-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #43
JEPPA

I think we don't hear enough about Dean Jeffries. Thanks.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-13-2009, 11:11 PM   #44
stude_trucks
Old School HAMBer

Man, that is a crazy car story. $800 for the metal panels?! You can't get a rusted pile of crap for $800 anymore, let alone some kick ass hand fabbed panels.

And; 'Oh yeah, sure you can have those old Maserati's. I wasn't planning to do anything with them anyway.' WTF? Then toss the Formula 1 motors, if they had any, and drop a Ford 289 in there?

What the hell is the weirdest part of this story? Would be hard to actually figure that out.

I like the car, as well as the future type show cars in general and dig the wireframe mock-upshots too, they are cool.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:29 PM   #45
meatball
Old School HAMBer

I was talkin to Dean on the phone one day about 10-12 years ago and asked him about Barris {talkin about the monkeemobile} and his quote on barris was "Barris could fuck-up a rock in a sand pit!" I changed the subject at that point

Last edited by meatball; 01-13-2009 at 11:40 PM.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:39 PM   #46
madwagon56
Grenade Inspector

when i was in cali a few years back i got to see the mantaray at peterson museum, boy what a honor to see it in person. i stood for an hour and just looked at it. glad we stopped by and got to see it.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #47
50Fraud
Old School HAMBer

Peter Stacy was a classmate of mine at Art Center in the early '60s. He went on to work at Ford and elsewhere, and is a hell of a designer.

While Pete was at Art Center he drove a '58 or '59 Corvette; nice car. He wanted it repainted in a beautiful Lincoln purplish maroon, and took it to Jeffries for the work. They worked out some sort of barter deal, where Dean painted the Corvette and Pete did a bunch of design work on the Manta Ray. Pete says he designed the entire car, which I can believe given his level of talent. Uncredited, of course, as is often the case for consulting designers.

Just a historical side note.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #48
Tom davison

The styling of the car holds up so well to this day; it's timeless and classic. It was great to see it restored perfectly at the Peterson. They must really like it there; it's one of the few cars (maybe the only one) on display every time I've been there. Always in the same spot.

Anyone know who restored it? They even got the paint right.

Last edited by Tom davison; 01-14-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #49
Karrera
Grenade Inspector

Dean Jeffries still owns the Mantaray - its just on loan to the Petersen. I believe he did the restoration on the car. His flamed, chopped 33 Ford was up on the second floor of the museum two years ago when I visited it.

There is a new book on Dean Jeffries coming out in March. It's written by Tom Cotter, author of "Cobra in the Barn" and "Hemi in the Barn". It should be a great read.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #50
hotrodladycrusr
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom davison View Post
Always in the same spot.
They just moved it. It's now located right across the isle from where it was, in front of the "speed shop". Nothing is in it's old location. I'm thinking they just moved it for a short time to get something in or out of those large doors it was blocking.

Last Friday we stopped at Dean's shop to say hi. He just got a laptop and AOL dialup service. He's never heard of the HAMB but was flattered "we've" been talking about him. I showed him the posts about him and printed them for him to read later cuz I'm not sure he'd be able to find his way back to the HAMB. He's got no computer experience but really wants to learn. I showed him as much as I could in the short time we were there, even going so far as to register him on the HAMB.

I suggested to CrazyBackyardBuilder who lives close by that perhaps he could stop by from time to time and give Dean a computer lesson. If there is anyone else who would truely like to help out please stop by his shop for a visit and offer. He's a great guy and I can see it being a mutually benifical relationship.

Last edited by hotrodladycrusr; 01-28-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #51
Karrera
Grenade Inspector

I've been told that the Mantaray will be shipped to the Amelia Island Concours for an appearance in March. Dean is supposed to attend as part of a round table discussion that will be held Friday evening with a number of the other big names in customizing. So far the guest list is supposed to include Joe Bailon, Gene Winfield, Chip Foose, Bill Hines, Darryl Starbird and George Barris.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:22 AM   #52
Bluto
Old School HAMBer

Red face Re: Dean Jeffries' Mantaray!

Do you understand the history inside this car?

Not only from Dean who is a great guy.

But underneath this is a Maserati Grand Prix car driven by Prince Bira!

The engines for it were stored in a garage and sold by Dean's ex

Last I heard the engines were in the hands of Bob Rubin on Long Island

I am sure if the car is ever sold it will return to the race track.

I also think it's way too easy to 'Look back' on these types of cars without understanding what the motivation was at the time. All to easy!

If you saw this car when it was new and you were there it would have just been 'Really Cooooooool'!!!

Last edited by Bluto; 01-29-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:28 AM   #53
James D
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
If you saw this car when it was new and you were there it would have just been 'Really Cooooooool'!!!
I didnīt, but I still do!
Old 01-29-2009, 07:17 AM   #54
jonzcustomshop

I just saw it in action in a movie from 1964, called bikini beach. starring frankie avalon, and anette f.
every time they drove it the bubble was up, so maybe a human dosent fit in the interior?
the movie also has some good top fuel passes, and a run by tommy ivos 4 engine dragster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bikini%20beach%20manta%20compare.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	587981  
Old 01-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #55
Joe T Creep
Alliance Member

Wow. Thats amazing work on that car and its always nice to see and read about history.

R.I.P. Roderick Teague-My Dad
31 Ford Coupe
58 Ford Truck
Old 01-29-2009, 11:53 AM   #56
ChevyGirlRox
Old School HAMBer

It was great visiting Dean in his shop last week during my trip out for the GNRS. I had no idea how involved in Hollywood he's been-- building movie cars, wrangling cars, and even doing stunt work! What a cool guy!

Join the HAMB Book Club!
Old 01-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #57
STEPHEN FIELDS
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygirlrox View Post
it was great visiting dean in his shop last week during my trip out for the gnrs. I had no idea how involved in hollywood he's been-- building movie cars, wrangling cars, and even doing stunt work! What a cool guy!

badass!
Old 01-29-2009, 09:57 PM   #58
frank spittle

Dean Jeffries also played a part in drag racing history. He fabricated the rolled front and rear pans, radiused' the rear wheel wells, designed and sprayed the Candy Red/Blue paintwork on the '64 Dodge Chargers. It is some of his best work. Many drag racing historians trace the roots of the Funny Car class back to those cars. Tom Cotter told me last week about Custom Car builders being featured at Amelia Island this year. In addition to writing a book about Jeffries, Tom is co-chair at Amelia Island. I believe Jeffries is the most ignored of the great Custom builders. It is about time he receives the recognition he deserves both with his new book and the Amelia Island honor. I have always wanted to meet Dean and will be there to see him honored on Friday March 13th. Amelia Island has become the Pebble Beach of the east. If possible you should be there!
Old 01-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #59
6t5frlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
I just saw it in action in a movie from 1964, called bikini beach. starring frankie avalon, and anette f.
every time they drove it the bubble was up, so maybe a human dosent fit in the interior?
the movie also has some good top fuel passes, and a run by tommy ivos 4 engine dragster.
Potato Bug fit
Old 03-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #60
Mac the Yankee
Old School HAMBer

Anybody have a better pic of the drawing?...

I'm getting some ideas for next year's Dad's Division at the Pinewood Derby...