Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures An Afternoon Of Terrific Punishment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i don't think people in those days were as big a pussies as we have become these days so most people probably did'nt mind all that much...

by the way, i friggin LOVE that video. now THAT is the kind of stuff i could sit in front of the tube watching.

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Wow that's pretty cool.... "hey we won, let's have a cigarette!!"

4. Ryan, I could get a lot more done on my '29 if I didn't spend so much time in front of this #$&^%*( computer!!! And I'd like to say it was all your fault, but.....
    The HAMB has got to be, at the same time, the most entertaining AND informative spot on the 'net. It's the best cup of coffee a guy could have every morning.
    Keep 'em coming, Thanks, Mike

5. Great stuff Ryan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

My first born will be Stubby Stubberfield James! Classic!!!!!!!

Whether it be FED's, Streamliners, or this type of racing shown, It definitely takes a gut check to be a part of it.

7. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

those guys were absolutely fearless. i like the co-pilot hanging out of the roadster for ballast going through the turn

8. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

My sentiments exactly...

9. Barz51

Barz51

10. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

4 hours of breathing the dust would make modern racers go for the fingernail repair kit.

11. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I wanna race cars like that when I grow up! Wow, thats a cool video! Thanks Ryan!

12. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

Funny you were thinking about old videos, there's one in particular I like. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=2209

I am getting ready to refurbish the '35 Tudor's distributor. I think I am just going to box it up and send it like you did.

13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

great clip!

love the little subliminal Cochran Coupe at the end too

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I got a PM wondering if that video is of Gilmore Stadium. I believe it is... The video was obtained from the Gilmore archives and they seem to think it is. That said, stranger things have happened.

Note that this race was in '34 - the first year of the stadium's existence... That could explain why it doesn't look so much like a stadium.

That said... Races were held out at the airport... Could it be that's what we are watching?

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think SUHRsc has some info for us that will clarify.. Zach, hit us up.

16. 2002p51

2002p51

That's what I was thinking too. Early in that clip the cars are turning right, and off in the distance you can see others swinging to the left. Like a big ess.

"Mines Field" on the current site of LAX was configured like that and ran races in the '33-'34 era.

http://www.caffeinecruisers.com/Frame-8-itemsofinterestpage8.html?refresh=1182269905947

17. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. rainh8r

rainh8r

I especially liked the "monkey" hanging out of the car on the inside of the turn, just like sidecar racing. I don't suppose any modern version of dirt track would include that trick.

19. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

you got it....
    theres more info in Dick Wallen's "Track Roadsters, the road to indy" and also in the Hot Rod magazine article from the 50's(i think) along with some articles in the "new" magazines with features on Don Small's Bell auto parts 33/4
    hop-up , street rodder, etc.

Zach

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Better than calling me a liar.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thinks so, big call on the boss!!
    That is real racing, the safety leather hat and no fenders, and mobile ballast on a tight turn!!
    I like dust, kinda got used to it spending mucho-lotto time in the 'outback', I once watched an MP on his dirt bike disappear up to his waste in a dust hole!! Its funny but neither I or the rest of the 100 odd guys sitting on the side of that track told him about it either!!
    Does that make us bad soldiers?
    Doc.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, I think you fellas have got to be right. Here's some photos Zach sent.

The stadium:
    [​IMG]

The field:
    [​IMG]

That's there is the best damn thing about the internet. I published what I thought was fact and the fellas made a correction within minutes. To me, that's cool as shit.

23. 2002p51

2002p51

I first learned about Mines Field in a couple of books written by Harold Olsmer called "Where They Raced" and "Where They Raced, Lap 2". (If you've spent any time at the current Irwindale Speedway you know Harold.)

He dug up extensive information on the history of racing in and around Southern California by researching all of the old defunct race tracks. "Lap 2" includes drag strips. The books are full of not only archive photos of the tracks but also photos of what's on those sites now.

They were published quite a few years ago so I'm not sure if they're still available or not, but a search on the the net might turn up something.

I'm at work right now so I can't lay my hands on my copies but if anybody wants more info, PM me and when I get home tonight I'll see what I can do to help.

24. 2002p51

2002p51

25. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Newbie here, first time posting. Great site, BTW...
    Just thought I'd put my 2 cents (price of postage back in the day) about the locale.
    "Where They Raced" by Harold Osmer says the '34 Gold Cup was run on a B-shaped dirt course at Mines Field (now LAX), sponsored by Gilmore.
    Gilmore sponsored many races and cars at that time, and built the Stadium as the first venue primarily for the new Midget cars. Gilmore Stadium was just a 1/4 mile oval next to Farmer's Market in downtown LA, and was razed for the construction of Television City (CBS studios) in 1950.
    Thanks for the awesome clip. I love the old stuff.

26. Very priceless history,I could watch that all day.:cool: Keep up the obsession Ryan,we're all obsessed along with you!

27. I love it. Racing with a driver and a ?mechanic? in the car at the same time.. Funny how when the race was over, the first thing "Stubby ol' boy" did was reach for a smoke. ha ha.

28. Von Franco

Von Franco

Great stuff Ryan,and did i see you standing in the crowd wearing one of those funny hats lol.............

29. retro54

retro54
    from PA

What roadsters were meant to do... now light me a cigarette...

30. the-rodster

the-rodster

Sadly, both Stubby and his mechanic died the following year at Indy.

[​IMG]