Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HELP: I Think I just Bought THIS!!!! WHAT'S a Red Ram HEMI WORTH?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Jan 6, 2009.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

I think I just committed to buying this Red Ram. I think I got a good deal. What'sitworth? I've never been in the market for one. It just kind of fell in my lap.

It is a killer runner. In fact I drove the car it came out of several times. It drove to Indy and back last year.

That's a Toqueflite behind it.

Of course the "billety" stuff will go away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I would have given at least $150.00 for it...

R-

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

Why so much?

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Tasty little set up.

5. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Boat anchor... lucky for you, I got just the type of boat this type of anchor was designed for!

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

$4000

I hope he at least had the sense to replace it with a SBC.

7. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yeah, lose the billet pulleys etc, and the plug wires. Add better plug wires, a mag, different valve covers and air cleaners.

8. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i think that motor looks fine as is. i can't play the guess the cost game cause i'm a cheap bastard.......your first born????

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

one - million - dollars
    ha, ha, ha

But, seriously, the valve covers alone are worth $400 or so.

Yep, I say "down"date it a little and you probably got a nice setup.

You are not going to put that in the legion are you? I say stick with the inline for that as I am guessing is your plan anyway.

10. Aren't those cast finned aluminum valve covers and air cleaners? Traditional, I'd say. The billet pulleys and modern wires make it look funky.

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I don't think there is much you can do to improve the look of any early Hemi besides add a more suitable intake. They are like naturally beautiful. I agree with all of your improvements on it if you get it.

I am not sure what it would cost but a rebuild on one has been know to be around $5000, so if that one is running and in good shape I would say anything less then $3500 would be a good deal.

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shoot!!! I'll give you TWICE that! When can I pick it up?? :D:D

AWESOME!

13. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

If you get the cast finned wire covers too, I think those look pretty cool with those valve covers. You don't see the matching wire covers much, but I kind of like them.

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

There's nothing wrong with those valve covers. Just paint all that shiny stuff on the front whatever your engine color ends up, and sell off those air cleaners... done.

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kirk, that seams pretty good actually. I would say you got a good deal man! Especially since you absolutely KNOWWWW that it IS a good motor and it's not just hear-say from the owner.

What's this going in??

So does this mean you WON'T take $300 for it?? :(:rolleyes:

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

That's just it, I don't have a home for it. That's why I was asking for input. Like I mentioned above, I paid $2500, but if it's worth WAY more I don't need it one of my projects. If it's worth less, then I'll make sure I drive the shit out of it and enjoy it.

17. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Call me crazy, but for $2500, I don't think you can afford to NOT keep it, if you know what I mean.

18. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Just looking at the pics posted with all the dress up / speed equipment & tranny adapter I would say you got a good deal... Sell the billet stuff and get a chunk of your cash back.

19. Weasel

Weasel

$5k+ to do a performance rebuild - not much less for stock rebuild. VCs look like O'Brien Truckers. I'd hang on to it if you have the right home for it or plan on getting the right home for it. With the tranny I would have said $4k is fair. What is it - 241? 270?

20. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Looks like a sweet buy to me, no matter the price. I LIKE IT.

I think I would be motivated to building a "no hood" roadster or sedan around that Hemi so that thing can hang out in the wind where it belongs.

Nice.

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Kirk is the biggest Asshole on the HAMB, all he ever does is make us piss our pants, and provide quality coverage along with threads about his rad cars. Fuck you and the FONZ. I hope you guys get raped.:D:D:D

$2500 is a good price especially for a recent rebuild. How many miles are on it after the rebuild? I would put it in a car a drive the shit out of it no matter what. Welcome to the club.....I mean gang.

22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

whoa, what happened?! Just got done reading all the drama and clicked on page 2 and FLASH all the good stuff disappeared. Seemed like you guys were kissing up anyway. KIRK! you bought that for about $.60 on the dollar. Just my $.02

23. "I paid $2500 but if it's worth WAY more I don't need it one of my projects. If it's worth less, then I'll make sure I drive the shit out of it."

Seems like a deal to me...and even if it is worth way more, you'd be hard pressed to replicate that much "cool" for $2,500...and given the fact that youve already logged a bunch of miles in it, seems to be an even better deal...

Freshen up its look and give it a home...and for the record, I loke the valve covers. Just shit-can the air cleaners.

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to have to agree with Chad. I would say that motor might be worth a little more. Maybe even twice as much, depending on what's actually in there. If you knew more about the internals it might be a little more clear.

[​IMG]

Either way, it's cooler than Ninja Rap! :D:D:D

25. The Blurr

The Blurr

FUCK THAT GUY!!! He is ALWAYS a PRICK to EVERYONE!!! Let him be a FUCKING PRICK by himself. Any way I think you got a very good deal. I would sell it and make a little cash.

26. KIRK!

KIRK!

Dear moderators,

I don't know who made the "adjustments" to this thread, but I can hold my own. I know it was for the HAMB's benefit, and I understand, but I'm very comfortable with what I contribute and ask on this forum.

27. KIRK!

KIRK!

I know I could never afford the replicate it, I just don't know if I have the luxury of sitting on it right now.

28. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

$2500 is a steal. Go price the water pump conversion, a 3x2 intake for a Dodge, and a late TF conversion and get back with me.

29. KIRK!

KIRK!

I will get more details this afternoon. It was just sitting out back in the shop. Actually, I thought it had been sold a long time ago, but I just stumbled on it again this morning. I asked about it and was told it was still available for $2500. I immediately said "I'll take it", because it seemed like a good deal to my gut. Then reality set in that I don't have a home for it yet and may not for some time.

Maybe I'll resurrect the DeSorta and put it in that.

30. autoartistry

autoartistry

I think that would be great for your Stude.....
    Mike