Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech: Cheap Roadster Top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fergenboysinc, Jan 4, 2009.

1. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Let me just start by saying thanks to everyone on the HAMB for all the knowledge I have gained from hanging out on here with you guys. Right now I'm in the process of building a convertible top for a roadster. Mine is a '32 Ford, but this could be used as a general guideline for any roadster.

Here is a picture from the garage to get us started.

[​IMG]

In my garage its a bunch of dudes hangin' out... Some talented, some just full of "wisdom". All in all we have a great time and build "stuff"... just a group of guys messing around in a garage...

[​IMG]

So...Here is what you are going to need to get started.

1. 16 ft. of 1/2 inch inside dia. pipe
    2. 12 ft. 3/4 x 1/4 strap steel
    3. 5 ft. hard wood of your choice

[​IMG]

2. gonzo

gonzo

Well?.... We're waiting.

3. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

Waiting here also!!

4. My last girlfriend wasn't this much of a tease.

5. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Sorry about that....computer went down and I didn't figure work would like it if I did it there.

Back to where we left off.
    You are also going to need these items.

6 1/4" x 1" bolts
    4 1/4" x 1 1/4 bolts
    10 1/4" locking nuts
    6 1/4" flat washers
    4 1/4 x 1/4" round spacers (nylon or whatever)
    4 #10 x 32 set screws to hold the bows. Not sure if they are needed?
    2 1/4 x 1/2 fine thread bolt for the front mounting bolt.
    2 1/4 x 1/2 bolts (with nuts) for the back mount.

So far I have less than $75 (excluding the beer for helpers):rolleyes:

This is just a suggested list of what I used. If you have a cooler idea feel free to add. Im not a master fabricator by any means.

Here is the pipe bender we used. We just clamped it in the vice and heated up the pipe. Im not so sure you would need to heat the pipe but it helped.

[​IMG]

6. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

And here is a few shots of the straps with some measurements. This is severely chopped for my 32 so use your imagination on how you want yours to look. I just clamped most of it in place with vicegrips until "I" was happy. My helpers think its to low.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Just one quick suggestion if you don't want to bend the pipe. I was eyeballing this set of crash bars I had off my Harley to use for the bends.

[​IMG]

8. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Be sure to build all of the pieces as exact pairs or things get ugly...trust me.:rolleyes:

I drilled and tapped the straps on the bows so the could be moved up and down easier but, now I don't think its necessary because once the top is made its not going to fit right if adjustments are made anyway.

Once all of my revisions were made I ran it through my "paint booth".

[​IMG]

9. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Here is a crappy shot of it on the car. I took it out this weekend to get you a few better shots of it but, froze my ass off instead (it was almost above ZERO..) It was still fun.

[​IMG]

Here is my neighbor Cliff giving me the insane thumbs-up:D

[​IMG]

Here is the tricky part...getting this picture out of that camera.:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Thats it for now. Every Tuesday we have "Topless Tuesday" at my garage. so check back this Wednesday and I will add more on the cover part.. Im sure I missed a few things so ask away.

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

how do you get your pictures so big?

11. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

I download them in photo bucket. The king Kiwi Kev tought me that years back.

12. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I'm curious about what you used as your initial design? Did you have another folding top mechanism to start with, that was partially copied?

BTW, the top irons look great.

13. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Very nice job. This thread is definately a keeper. I will use it in approximately two years! :D

14. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

I got the idea from a picture in a old speedway catalog. Note sure who makes theirs or where they got their "idea"....But I knew either way, It wouldn't fit my plans. So i just guessed (a few times):rolleyes:... Plus....I have WAY more time than money and I wanted to build it.

15. Thanks for sharing Chad! Summer can't come soon enough!

16. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Thanks Jerry! Im getting kinda pumped about heading somewhere. Especially when the Bonneville show is on right now. :D

17. Nice Tech, looks great. A tip for others to figure out the geometry and how things will fold is to mock up the lengths and pivots points with lath, panel board or cardboard etc. and fasten or pin them together. This will allow you to move parts through the action and eliminate some of the guess work.

Also check out your hardware store or McMaster Carr for shoulder bolts, Wavy spring washers and nylon washers. These will help prevent bind and will also take care of any rattles.

18. I'm thiinking the same thing and watching the same show too!

Coming down for the Racers Swap this saturday or Sunday?

19. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Damn.....Where were you at when I was wasting metal! :D Great ideas. Thanks for adding. Chad

20. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Yep. Maybe I can get a shop tour?

21. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Well...Its "Topless Tuesday" and I got Cody over here working on the cover. He's fresh out of Wyo tech. He has never done a top from scratch so wish us luck. What the hell...they gotta start somewhere. Right!?!?:D

Here he is in action. Maybe we can have some of you other Wyotech guys cheer him on.

[​IMG]

22. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Here is the latest....Im working on the window and Cody gets the credit on the cover.. maybe....:D

The window is just some 1"strap steel welded together by me(obviously):rolleyes: and a chunk of aluminum I had lying around.

[​IMG]

Cody is putting a tension spring on to keep the sides from flopping.
    [​IMG]

And some padding to smooth the top out.
    [​IMG]

23. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Cody's shop is a few mile out of town so he took the material and sewed the sides on to screw with me(he knows I just want to get it done).
    [​IMG]

So..Here I am teaching him that he's 42 inches away from kissing my butt..
    [​IMG]

24. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Very questionable.....:D If nothing else, we'll have fun doing it!

25. Great thread, keep us posted.

26. Dyce

Dyce

Chad it was good to meet you saturday. Stop in anytime.

Top looks good. I've been wondering what to do for a top on my model a. This would work.

Jeff

27. Great tech.

Thinking of doing the same to my 31 roadster.

Got any pics of the front header?

Curious too about the rear window frame.

One suggestion, don't use glass for the rear window.
    It's too heavy and will stretch the canvas after a while.
    Use Polycarbonate (called Lexan, a brand name, by most).
    It works well, cuts easy with fine tooth blades and most importantly doesn't scratch easily.
    Available in various thicknesses at Home Depot and the like.
    Be aware there is a UV (UltraViolet) coating on it that goes toward the sun and it resists UV degradation.
    The windwings on my 32 are about 12 years old and still clear as glass.

If it's not too late, be sure and set the rear window canvas up so you can unsnap it for more airflow in the summer.
    It makes a lot of difference when driving in serious summer heat and here in the Dez, it can get serious real fast.

Well done and looking forward to more....

28. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Thanks to all for the input!

If anyone ever wants to see some cool "stuff" go on a Sioux Falls garage tour. I saw more cool tools and 32 Fords than I have ever seen in my life! What a day!!!! Thanks guys!

Just stopping home for lunch and we plan on stepping up the program and working as many nights this week as we can. We have blizzard warnings out but WTH... :rolleyes:

More tonight.

29. Cool Chad. Stopped and talked to Jeff on Friday, we talked about how good the top was looking. That and your homoerotic tendancies............

30. Looking forward to it.

Blizzard be cool . . . just toss the beers in the nearest snowdrift . . . just the right temp.

Worked for us Southern California beach rats.

'Course, we had to drive 60-80 miles to go to the snow.
    You're lucky, you get it delivered....:D