Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting exhaust manifolds.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by highway13, Aug 30, 2003.

1. highway13

highway13
    from Pittsburgh

I gotta pull my manifold to replace a stripped stud, so while I got it off, might as well paint 'em! Some questions:
    I've wire-brushed and rattle-canned manifolds before and they usually rust through the paint in no time.
    This time I have a sandblaster, so I was gonna blast 'em first. Do I need to use some sort of primer, or can I just rattle-can header paint on 'em? What is a good brand? Rustoleum makes a high heat bar-b-q paint (good up to 1200 deg.) it comes in a bunch o' colors, can I use that?
    Enough questions for now. Enjoy the long weekend,
    Blair

2. Greezy

Greezy

I blasted mine and then used the high temp cast blast grey, no primer. It held up quite well. The rust spots coming bask were in the areas i went a little thin on the paint.

3. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

I have had good luck using POR-15 exhaust manifold paint. Comes in grey, black and silver. Just brush it on your freshly blasted manifolds. Did the set on my '64 Pontiac Tempest about 30K miles ago, still lookin' good.

www.por15.com

----- Bart -----

4. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

i used the high temp coating from EASTWOOD can either be brushed on or buy a spray can easy stuff and holds up nice .

lurker mick and Hollywood-East like this.

5. highway13

highway13
    from Pittsburgh

I'd like to try the por15 or ceramic coating, but unfortunately I gotta do i this weekend, so I have to go with something I can get locally.
    -Blair

6. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Don't primer it, because the primer is supposed to stick to the metal and the paint to the primer. If the primer can't take the 900 degree temps then the paint will flake right off with it.

I've used Duplicolor stuff in the past but not on Exhaust manifolds. I imagine anything that says 1200 degrees would be alright.

7. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

I have used the Eastwood stuff on exhaust manifolds with great results. I always sannd blast the metal first.

On the exhaust pipes, I use the black BBQ paint for the tubes and mufflers from Home Depot. it holds up real well.

8. Jimv

Jimv

I tried everything on my manifolds with bad results till i used POR 15! Stuff is the best, brush it on & you're good for along time,easy to touch up if you need to & stays shiney.(Mines Silver)
    I used a "aluminum" coating that I got at a auto flea market one time, I forgot the name but it was from some guy in Jersey & that stuff was great!! Brush it on afew times & it could actually be buffed up after. I ran out of it so I used the POR 15 & I had a hard time sandblasting it off!!
    JimV

9. 4gotn1

4gotn1

I've used that Eastwood stuff and love it. The truck I used it on is not a daily but has been on there for 6 years and is just now starting to rust up again.

10. =mike=

=mike=

I have always used the hi-temp BBQ black and had great sucsess with it . cheap , buy it on the corner at pepboys , and you can use it while the motor is running and still in the car [​IMG]

11. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

-mike-
    thats funny b/c I use the same thing with great results...

as long as the manifolds are blasted the BBQ black wont burn off...

12. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I used the Por 15 stuff on the rams horns in my shoebox. I'm pretty happy with it and I think it works pretty well. It's been there for close to three years (I touch it up about once a year for good measure) and it still looks good. One 1/2 pint can will last you a LONG time too....the stuff is thin and covers well.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. Zor

Zor
    from Phoenix

if you don't want to blast them another option is to drop it off at a machine shop and have them dip it in hot tank. i had it done to the in. and ex. for my six banger and all the carbon and varnish dissappeared. they come back ready for paint, no prep. it cost 15 per manifold.

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Eastwood..gray.... Looks great after 6 years.

15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14 year old thread. Maybe some of the original posters will come back and tell us if any of them are still holding up, if they're still around

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. I've done entire dual exhaust systems with one can of this and it's extremely durable. Kinda smells a bit until it cures off, basically one or two heat cycles. 20171213_051207.jpg

tb33anda3rd and lothianwilly71 like this.
  18. 29moonshine

29moonshine

still useing the por 15

19. POR 15 in the spray can. I give it 2 coats (manifolds are blasted clean) and into the oven at 400F for 2 hours, or whatever it says on the can. Very durable and looks good.

20. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Wow, I've rarely even had a car that long..

I've had great results with this paint on headers, I'm sure it comes in other colors that would work just as well on iron

20170505_135542.jpg

21. Look again,it's the oldest one in quiet a while,14 years ago. HRP

22. zombie.jpg

and he never told us what he used
    I haven't been this sad since they cancelled the Batman show with out a finally

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  23. I vote for the Eastwood raw cast iron stuff too. Doesn't burn, looks great for years, just like raw cast ion right off the showroom floor. Sandblast first of course. Mine came in a red can but that was probably 10 or 12 years ago if not longer. Can is still good, not dried out, exhaust pipes are still like new too.

[​IMG]

Freshly painted
    IMG_2765.JPG

After about 3 years of running.
    P1010534.JPG

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  24. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Anyone have experience with a product called Calyx (sp?). Apparently it is extremely long lasting.

25. fergusonic

fergusonic
    from Kokomo, In

I had Calyx on mine and it does wear off and it never dries so touching the manifold results in getting you hands smudged with grey.
    I am going to try Slipplate Liquid Graphite on my new SBC manifolds. There are a few articles saying that it lasts long and that after application, you can rub it with a shop rag to achieve a slight luster. Adheres very good. So; we'll see.

26. simpsonrl

simpsonrl

I Sandblast and Flame Spray with pure aluminum. Handles temps to about melting point of aluminum, provides galvanic corrosion protection and is more durable than paint. Use it for other things like this gas tank also.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

treb11 likes this.