Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another T5 Thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearstix, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Gearstix

Gearstix

I have a 1994 GMC 2.2 T-5 5 speed.
    "the 94-95 s10's have the t5 but it has the ford bolt pattern where it bolts to the bell housing"

So, if I understand that correctly, where the bellhousing itself bolts to the transmission, it has the Ford bolt pattern?

So could I use this?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=LAK-15032&N=700+115&autoview=sku

its for T5s.

heres the Lakewood page for it if it helps.
    http://www.lakewoodindustries.com/P...jID=152&minID=1521&selection=0&minselection=0

and heres some other adapter I found on the net, can't picture where it goes though.
    http://www.wilcap.com/chevy.html#350FT5

I'm trying to bolt a SBC to my T5.

2. slam49

slam49
    from tulsa ok

3. Gearstix

Gearstix

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Notice in the description it says "GM T5" - I'm sure they mean (and it certainly looks like it in the picture) a GM pattern T5. The '94 S10 T5 will have a Ford pattern...and that's a lotta dough for what amounts to a stock bellhousing with a hydraulic throwout bearing...

If you want to put a T5 behind a SBC, use any SBC bellhousing and any GM T5 (pre-93). You'd probably rather have a V8 F-body T5 though...

5. Snarl

Snarl

It's still like i said before....

The only link shown that has what could be used is the one from advance adapters, which is a rip off price-wise, but if that's what you want to do... The pictures of the summit and lakewood bells show a chevy pattern, and the wilcap is for a REAL Ford tranny, which has a larger than the S10 input collar diameter. If the Ford collar can be used on the Chevy tranny, then it may be used...

Since the S10 T5 with Ford pattern has the 4 11/16" input collar, you could take a regular 403 or 621 (for example) bellhousing and redrill/tap the top two holes, and weld a plate on to catch the lower two holes...

6. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

The secret is to use a 80-82 jeep with a 4 cyl 151 bell housing. It has the SBC footprint for the block and the ford t5 tranny mount. I just did it myself and found the bell housing for $50.

7. Gearstix

Gearstix

Uh.. whats a 403 or 621 bellhousing? you kinda lost me there.. haha.

I don't really want to get a Jeep or Ford transmission, because the T-5 I have is staying in the vehicle it was meant for....

8. Snarl

Snarl

Chevy bellhousings are often refered to by the last three digits of the casting number.

403 is the most common bell for a 153 tooth flywheel, and 621 is the most common for the 168 tooth flywheel.
    There are cheaper/more common bells for the 168 from trucks, but they all have a larger center hole. I believe advance adapters makes an adapter ring so you can use the smaller 4 11/16" trans.
    Reproduction 621's are about $150, so don't spend more than that on an original.

I went over what needs to be done when using the Jeep bellhousing

Technical Ford T5-to-SBC Adapter in AMC Eagles? - THE H.A.M.B.

9. Gearstix

Gearstix

Will all this stuff work for the 94 T5?

10. Snarl

Snarl

which stuff?

All of the suggestions I've made will work OR can be made to work. It all comes down to what you can afford, and what you are willing to do.
    Some options require more money, some require more time and skill. What do you have more of, time or money??

Everything I've said is based on you trying to use a Ford patterned S10 T5 with an SBC.
    If you change the transmission to one with a Chevy pattern, everything changes. Mostly for the better.
    But again, are you willing to change the trans or not? time vs. money...

11. Gearstix

Gearstix

Well I don't really want to change the trans. If that trans is coming out for good, an automatic is going in.

My buddy found me a Jeep bellhousing. I am still learning all this stuff, so I sent him the link and got him to explain it to me.

This is what he says.

"[23:24] Me: what is it we dont understand about the shaft
    [23:24] Me: on the t5
    [23:25] Buddy: the size
    [23:25] Buddy: and what work it will need to fit"

I'm not sure what I will do. The bellhousing is $90. I don't mind spending the time on stuff.
    To me keeping the T-5 I got, is less agrivating than changing it out for something else.

12. slam49

slam49
    from tulsa ok

13. slam49

slam49
    from tulsa ok

it does sound like falconman has a point there. thats cheap

14. Gearstix

Gearstix

I figured this kit would work for me because
    http://advanceadapters.com/product/2199/712547.html

"The bell housing kit is design to work with exclusive use with the T5 transmission in the S-series trucks"

But if I can do the jeep way for cheaper why not.

15. Gearstix

Gearstix

Went on Advance's website and picked out the components listed as required for this kit.

[​IMG]

If theres a way to get the bellhousing cheaper, I'll do it.
    Is that a stock GM flywheel? I'm pretty sure I could get one cheaper than that?

I think my truck needs a clutch, thats what the previous owner said. So I don't mind buying that...

16. Snarl

Snarl

If you go the advance adapter route, the only thing you really need from them is the adapter plate. All the other stuff is off the shelf GM.
    http://advanceadapters.com/product/2189/712533.html

What exactly is the engine you are using?
    one piece or 2 piece rear main seal?
    what size flywheel are you planning on using?

17. Gearstix

Gearstix

I am not sure if it has a one or two piece main seal, or what size flywheel.
    All I know is its a 305, centerbolt valvecovers, HEI distributor, Rochester Quadra-Jet.

18. Snarl

Snarl

The reason I ask is that they went to the 1 piece design in '86, and that changed the flywheel as well, so you should find out exactly what it is your putting in there. If it doesn't have a flywheel and bellhousing, you need to make sure that the parts you get will work together, as a 168 tooth flywheel doesn't fit under a bellhousing that was intended for a 153 tooth flywheel, for example.

Ideally, you would get an engine with a flywheel, clutch & bellhousing already on it. Then all you would need to do is check the size of the center hole on the bellhousing, then order the adapter from Advance with the correct input collar diameter. Then get a 26 spline clutch disc of the correct diameter, assuming it doesn't have a 26 spliner to begin with.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  19. Gearstix

Gearstix

What I got doesn't have a bellhousing on it. It does have a flywheel.
    Rough guess is the motor is an '86 since it has centerbolt valve covers. Then FI replaced the Q-Jet in 87....

20. Gearstix

Gearstix

Would a camaro T-5 clutch and pressure plate work with the jeep bellhousing?

21. Snarl

Snarl

You would need a 153 tooth flywheel with 10.4" clutch. '86-92 Camaro, 'bird, 'vette.
    for reference:
    http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=PIO&MfrPartNumber=FW148&PartType=267&PTSet=A

According to my info, the centerbolt cover came out in '87. Not that it matters, as those heads can be used on earlier engines.

Never use parts that can be swapped from one generation of motor to another as a basis for identification. There should be a stamped number at the front of the block. If you call up a Chevy dealership in your area that also does repair work, they should be able to identify it for you.

22. Gearstix

Gearstix

Ok. I'll try to get the motor home. My buddys got a truck.
    My truck isn't registered at the moment as I've been doing bodywork and stuff on it since I got it, been in the garage ever since.