Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > Traditional Hot Rods

Old 12-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #21
AV8Paul
Member Emeritus

Default Re: AV8 Redux

Mike's book hit the street about the time I was finishing my AV8. If I had the book 8 years earlier, I would have been on the road in 4 years, not 8. I have read and re-read it several times. I have refered to it so often, I've almost worn it out. It's a classic.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #22
327-365hp
Old School HAMBer

I love that book and Mike's roadster. Both are very inspiring. It was nice to read the story behind the book and the car. Welcome to the hamb Mike!
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #23
rustydeuce

Beautiful Roadster!

Congrats to Mike and Vern on a book that will undoubtedly inspire many more generations to come.
www.tradspeed.co.nz
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #24
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327-365hp View Post
I love that book and Mike's roadster. Both are very inspiring. It was nice to read the story behind the book and the car. Welcome to the hamb Mike!
Heh... Mike's been on the HAMB since... 1998?

Ryan Cochran

"Skating the same line since 1976..."
.................................................. ....
www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
Old 12-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #25
ironbuyer
Grenade Inspector

Between that book and Don Montgomery books it certainly has influenced how we build our cars. More than anything how important it is to stick to an era. In my opinion you can see this generations guidence in all of these books. Who gets it and who does not.
Steve Glucoft
Amocat Speed Emporium
Old 12-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #26
4t64rd
Old School HAMBer

Location: Pinellas County - the skin tag on the underside of America's wang, Florida

I bought AV8's book back when I found out about it on the RRT... Back when I was a mere lurker here.

Mine's spine is white and wrinkled, and a bargain at twice the price.

I had collected a lot of the right chassis parts once, and sold them all off to pay a medical bill, my 1959
Old 12-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #27
rustybucket
Grenade Inspector

I have had my copy for nearly 10 years. It certainly had a huge effect on me. I had been into old cars for a while mostly 50's style customs. I began having an interest in rods and picked up the book. It sealed the deal for me and began my personal journey into proper hot roding. I had been in and out of college and it became apparent that if I wanted to have the hot rod of my dreams I needed to get a good job. This meant going back to school with a serious focus. I did just that and nearly 10 years latter, now a degreed and practicing industrial designer I am less than 6 months from realizing the dream I have had for all these years.

Thanks!

Chris

Last edited by rustybucket; 12-23-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #28
MIKE-3137

When I bought my copy, I really didn't know what a tradition roadster really was. I didnt follow it to the letter with my roadster, but I learned a lot about the dedication it requires to build an authentic car.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #29
Mike Britton
Alliance Member

I've seen this book everywhere I go. Never bought it because my '29 is 'glass (sorry) left over from the '70's altered wars. Looks like now I have to go buy the book, and add it to my reference library.
My taste in hot rod style runs about ten years newer than the blue '29's style, but I'm studied enough to realize, kind of like the blues, the blue '29 and cars like it are really where it all started.
There are books you must refer to if you want to know, or in my case remember, which parts you need to build your dream car. This must be one of them.
Names like Gingerelli, Batchelor, and Medley come to mind off the top of my head.
I know, I'll wrap it and put under the tree! Someone in the family is going to get me what I want for Christmas!! Thanks, Mike
Old 12-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #30
HomemadeHardtop57
Old School HAMBer

Killer book..I have read it thoroughly many times..each time learning something new...and am using it as a reference for aspects of my current roadster build.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #31
panheadguy

A terrific resource. I built my roadster with it as a guide. Not to be used like a "paint by numbers" but an indispensible resource to help a rodder show his own creativity.
PanheadGuy
Old 12-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #32
Rolo
Alliance Vendor

I've passed along all the praise to Vern. (Mike's able to turn on the computer and see it himself ) He thanks you all for all your kind words.

As for me personally, this book's damn important to me. It's pretty rare to be able to pinpoint a single thing/moment that's changed in such a significant way that you'll never be the same again...this book did just that for me. This book made me feel...right. The BT roadster was the closest I'd ever felt to love at first sight, and seeing everything I needed to do in front of me made my own jalopy seem almost accessible.

I was blessed to have grown up close to Vern, and had family friends that knew Vern and introduced me to him. After years of sweeping the floors (and picking up every bit of early Ford wisdom I could snatch from Vern) at the shop on weekends and whenever I could find a spare moment, I was lucky enough to be able to drop my real job and begin working for Vern. I haven't looked back since.

I smile everytime I ship out a copy of the book. (Yes, we still sell it. Use your HAMB discount and save a few bucks!)

http://www.verntardel.com/collection...l-ford-hot-rod)

It's fun thinking what the book might help create when combined with plus the imagination, creativity, and desire of its reader. Hopefully it will inspire another generation of hot rodders, just as it inspired me.

Again, Vern thank you all for your kind words. We're all lucky to be a part of this wonderful hobby.

Proud to be a HAMB Alliance Vendor

Last edited by Rolo; 12-22-2008 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Spelling was never my strongest suit...
Old 12-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #33
av8

What a great way to start the week! I'm honored by the kind comments, folks, and especially satisfying is hearing that the book is still truly helpful. I was pleased that Ryan wanted to run the story on the JJ which has honored the spirit of cars such as mine from the start.

Thanks much for this early Christmas present.

Mike
Old 12-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #34
flathead A
Grenade Inspector

When I first started thinking about building a car, I always had the mindset of a musclecar type hot rod,(sbc ,rock crusher,9"rearend)(not that there's any thing wrong with them)then I found the bible,(how to build a traditional hot rod).I've read it 20 + times and its always with in reach.And yes I even got to talked to Vern .As stated earlier if it wasn't for the hamb(thanks everyone) and that book I wouldn't know where I would be.I'm about 4 years into my build,some day when it's done(soon I hope) I want to see the roadster in person.and maybe shake there hand and say thanks.

Menno
Old 12-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #35
RuFFDaWG

My copy of the Bishop/Tardel book is about 10 years old now and I've poured through it countless times. It's been a real inspiration around here now that we have our own roadster project in the works. Each time I go through it I only wish it had twice the pages! Just that much more valuabe info and inspiration! Soaking it all up like a sponge...........
And thanks to them for putting it togeather!

'32 Cruisin'
Old 12-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #36
PASTDUEBILL

I've got a copy. We just call it the book. What does the book say? Go look in the book.

I have only seen one picture of the hood. It's on the cover. Whats up with the louvers, they look chrome or riveted on. Maybe it's just the way the light hits them?
Old 12-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #37
rockabillybassman
Old School HAMBer

It's been a big help to me in my build too.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:18 PM   #38
50Fraud
Old School HAMBer

It's good to see Mike on the HAMB again. Great book, great writer, great guy.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:42 PM   #39
av8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASTDUEBILL View Post
I've got a copy. We just call it the book. What does the book say? Go look in the book.

I have only seen one picture of the hood. It's on the cover. Whats up with the louvers, they look chrome or riveted on. Maybe it's just the way the light hits them?
The hood is aluminum, and the louvers were polished then masked off before the hood was painted. Before the louvers were punched we polished the area on the outside with a DA and WD40 to remove the inevitable scratches that bloom on sheet aluminum in the shop environment. Prior to painting, the louvers were machine-polished again, then given a final hand touchup after painting.

I fell in love with polished louvers in aluminum when I first saw them on a black Kurtis Kraft midget on the Rosebowl boardtrack in 1948. They added to the plate-polish-paint dazzle that was an important element of nighttime racing under the lights.

Mike
Old 12-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #40
autobilly
Old School HAMBer

Absolutely beautiful car! Thanks for the story behind the book Av8, it in it's self is a great read. I'm glad that you have the car back again, for the time being at least. Although I may never build an old Ford, the continual high recommendations on the HAMB and this TJJ entry have finally seen my order for a copy put in with Amazon today. (So many books, so little time!)

Last edited by autobilly; 12-22-2008 at 07:05 PM.