Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Getting Some White Walls - Tire/Wheel Size Question Before I Buy!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaxxRuckus, Dec 17, 2008.

1. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

Hey Guys,

I found a sweet set of Bias Ply 3" White Wall BFG Silvertown's. Brand new, and the guy will ship them to me for $465 total. This seems like a great deal since I can't find these tires at a shop anywhere for less than $700.

Question - will these fit my '56 Pontiac Star Chief? It has the original 15" rims on there, and these tires say 820-15 Bias Ply 4ply tubeless.

Will these tires fit my original rim? Any help would be appreciated before I make the purchase. I've called some tire places and most say "ya it should work" but I want to confirm before buying. Not sure what that 820 means, if its the width of the tire, and if its the correct width for my original rim.

Thanks all

2. 820-15 is a pretty big tire. Here's a handy reference: http://www.carnut.com/specs/tires.html. Coker's site says your car would have come with 710-15 which is about 1.6" shorter than the 820-15.

3. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

So will that tire not fit? Is the 820 refer to the width?

4. I think you should be ok with it. It is comparable to the old G78 series tire and will fill up the wheel opening nicely.

Bob

5. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

I've got another guy with a "recapped" (retreaded?) set of firestone 820/15 that he will ship to me for $225. I think I'm going to go with that. He said they haven't been mounted since they were retreaded.

Is a retreaded tire safe? I know this used to be pretty common. What do you think?

6. Comparable to the old G78 series except almost 2" taller :eek:

Actually, more like L78 size

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  7. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

so will they fit or not?! haha

8. What size you runnin' now?

9. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

225/75 R15 radials. I want to put on these 820-15 bias plys though cuz I want the old style tire and a wide (3") white wall. Car is at stock Height. I was planning on dropping it 2" sometime in the future, but not soon. I'm pretty sure it will fit the stock rim I have (won't it?), just wondering if that extra height will be a problem. I think I should have enough room though, that wheel well is huge.

10. rockin-bones

rockin-bones

11. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

well I ordered the 820-15's. I think they are going to fit, but do you think they might look wierd if they are too tall?

12. rockin-bones

rockin-bones

There's only one way to find out! :)

13. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

haha guess we'll see. My only concern was if they would fit on the rim. I think they will just fine. Theres a ton of room in the wheel wells so I think it should work out. Pics will be up as soon as they're mounted!

14. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

I am running the 820's on my 57 cad, and they are tall, I about threw up when i put them on the car before it was lowered! they will fit your rims but might be too tall to turn and it takes about 7 ' of lowering to make em look right. check out my cad in the dec. street rodder you will see what they look like.

15. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

Can you post some pics of them here? Does anyone else have pics running this size tire?