Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody from Pomona remember this gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gup, Dec 16, 2008.

1. gup

gup
    from Washington

It used to say Garey High School on the door, which is located in Pomona. Any info or pics greatly appreciated. Sorry I don't have a better pic right now.[​IMG] Thanks

2. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Thats cool for sure ,

nice find if indeed thats what it is..

Please give up the story about it or as much as you know ,I'm sure others will fill in the blanks....

3. gup

gup
    from Washington

I bought it from a guy in Irwindale, it used to belong to his brother and he bought it the early 70's. It was panel painted blue and said Garey High School on the door before he and his bro poured paint stripper all over it, maybe it was an auto shop project? The car is very well built for an early gasser. Somebody with some skills put this thing together, I was told it used to run an olds motor with a hydro-stick. The mounts are still in the car supporting this story. Thats about all I know.

Stogy likes this.
  4. gup

gup
    from Washington

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

6. moses

moses

damn gup you get all the cool stuff..sorry no info but i thinh i seen it at the CHHR 3 years ago...jeffrey

7. I can't find all my pics. I had tons....let me see...

8. mother of shit. i can't find any of my damn pictures.

9. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

This looks like the same car from the Dragster pic thread.
    [​IMG]

10. log on to classmates and put a message in that classes page....good find

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

Cool car... needs paint but cool none-the-less. I'd like to see/know more about the car in your avatar.

Stogy likes this.
  12. Nice score Gup !

13. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

Cool lookin' car, it might buff out.

14. gup

gup
    from Washington

I sanded some old primer off of the rear quarter panel and found some old gold leaf lettering. The car used to be sponsored by Advance Speed and Marine. Anybody ever heard of this old speed shop?

15. cafekid

cafekid

looks like a 40-42 studebaker

16. Gup, Any more info on your gasser? I was wondering if you ever found out anything my friend.

17. More pics please. Love old 40's gassers!

18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I agree with the other guys...go the Garey alumni/High School reunion route. Work your way through the 60's contacting each class year's reunion rep.
    If the car looked as nice as I bet it did, I bet it made it into the HS yearbook, which should give you names of the main players including the auto shop teacher.
    I recall my 70's shop teacher being an old dry lakes racer/hot rodder from the 50's and he was a master fabricator/welder.
    Hopefully some pics of it making a pass (Pomona?) will surface!

19. No shit huh? We should have shop night at your place tonight...hell you've got a race to run last time I checked.

20. gup

gup
    from Washington

I am trying to stay on topic here. Has any one heard of Advance Speed and Marine?:(

21. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I've heard of it but that's about it. Memory isn't what it used to be.

Try contacting Cal Rods. Someone there may remember the car.

http://www.calrods.com/

22. ...that is one cool ol Stude, always liked those coupes & sedans. Hope you find more info on it.

23. flatheadjunk

flatheadjunk
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange CA

Suggest checking with Greg Sharp @ the NHRA Museum.He is the historian there and can probably help.I recognize the car but can't remember anything else about it.I beleive it was running at Irwindale in the early 70's when I was racing my Chevy 2.Good luck.

24. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Stude gassers are cool. I searched my archive and came up with only this Studie photo. I think that's Lions c1961.

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  25. gup

gup
    from Washington

Yes, I bought the car in Irwindale from a guy who said his brother used to race it there. Do you have any old racing photos? Maybe it's in the background of one. Thanks

26. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Around '68, I worked at a Mobil gas station at the corner of 22nd and Vermont in L.A.. Just down the street, there was a Shell station at the corner of Vermont and Adams. They had a blue Stude gasser called Super Stude. Never saw the motor but the trans was torqueflite with the old pushbuttons. Never knew the owner but I assumed the station sponsored the Stude. The area was close to Crenshaw Square where the Brotherhood of Street Racers use to meet. Maybe some Brotherhood people on the board will remember the car.

27. gup

gup
    from Washington

Hmmm...... This car used to have a big block Mopar with a torqueflight. Maybe it's the same car!!?

28. Is this the car you are talking about?

http://media.photobucket.com/image/...ing/dhb2/STUDEBAKER GASSERS/SuperStude1-1.jpg

29. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

30. flatheadjunk

flatheadjunk
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange CA

I will check my old pics and let you know