Register now to get rid of these ads!

cruiser skirts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zedsdead56, Dec 8, 2008.

1. zedsdead56

zedsdead56
    from new jersey

is there a place i can find or way to make skirts for my '56 special? thanks

2. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

3. I have a 69 chevelle roof split in half I was going to build cruiser skirts for my 56 olds. they fit the curve real nice but I sold the car.

Attached Files:

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

It's simple, really...altho there are hours of work in each skirt. The first step, take some flat stock and some round rod and build yourself a framework...in this case I use five mounting points. The flatstock was formed to fit into the edge of the wheelwell, drilled and bolted in place...one at the front lower edge, two in the wheel well, two at the rear where the original chrome trim bolted on.

[​IMG]

Once the framework is solid and you like the look, measure your metal...in my case the skirts will be 70 inches long...then go purchase one of those cheap Harbor Freight roller/folder/trimmers, cut the material to 26 inch lengths and roll each one individually. Once you have the curved edge at the top, and the general overall roll on all three parts matching, weld them together and hang on your framework.

[​IMG]

Once hung, tack in a few places and unbolt the whole shebang...weld from the back side, finish as necessary...

R-

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008

5. awesome stude dude did you teach o learn that from Donn

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

LOL...no, neither. But thanx for your vote of confidence. Back when I used to visit Donn's shop, the farthest thing from my mind was I'd be "building" a sled, and doing fabrication, so many, many years later.

Ya know, "necessity is the mother of invention," and of course, necessity prompts one to figure out how to do a thing...I'm a studier...meaning, I have to study things for a while before I tackle them...once I've figured out how to do it, it's simple to put the plan into action.

And like I said, there are many hours in each of those skirts (as well as in the whole car). It's relatively easy to build one...but to match it, for the other side, is the challenge.

R-

PS, just in case any Caddy owners are reading this, I have two pair of stock '55 skirts for sale if you are interested...I think they'll fit '54 too...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  7. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Now that's why I love this place.

8. zedsdead56

zedsdead56
    from new jersey

thanks stude dude