Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for pics of Metalshapes Uni-body Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wheelless, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Wheelless

Wheelless

I am sure some of you guys have them. Can you post them up? I searched quickly but no photos in the thread I found. thanks.

2. Search his threads, there are 161. I looked today and found many pics.

3. dsr_54

dsr_54

4. desertdroog

desertdroog

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

Cool pic, 'droog...:)

Dont think I had that one, thanks for Posting.

I have a Lift now, so once its hooked up and working I'll take some detailed pic of my Roadster.

( give me a couple of weeks, though...)

6. desertdroog

desertdroog

Alex, check out my links of other cars in my signature. That was taken during your last bbq when your family was in town from Holland.

Fantastic car, and I had hoped to somehow emulate some parts of what you did with my 29, however, I am realizing I have no skill, much less the tools, to pull it off. Probably going to just sit on my pile of parts and look for a coupe or 32-34 truck instead. Yours is truly one of a kind and needs the exposure.

The only people who truly appreciate your car, are those who have seen it get sideways in a curve at WOT, seen it run at the HAMB drags (which I have not), know you very well or have sat in the car personally. So many cool things going on in your build, you've and others have taken the time to explain exactly what sets it apart from other hot rods, but the proof was watching you take your car through the paces...and you stated that was just a normal day of driving in town.

7. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thanks, man... :)

8. I broke it for him ;)

9. metalshapes

metalshapes

That must have been a defective Doorlatch, which wasn't Tman Proof... :D :D

10. It WAS fun watching that thing get sideways on Rangeline!

11. FWilliams

FWilliams

damn, what a pile...:D

12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

Re: Looking for pics of Metalshapes Uni-body Roadster
    this is one of many very talented people on the HAMB . totally awesome work ! .. steve

13. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

I love that car. Its truly a work on engineering art. Its the reason I started building my roadster.

14. MilesM

MilesM

I have been riding in it with Alex at WOT getting sideways on a big sweeping curve in Kansas or OK W. of Joplin. What a blast!

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I just remember Ryan coming back to Jim C's with an ear to ear smile after a ride in it....

16. Yeah, that was cool.

17. Wheelless

Wheelless

Thanks. Lazy last night. Also not that good with the search. Mainly lazy though.

18. GreggAz

GreggAz

ahhhh.... cloverleafs in the rain.... that was a good time.

19. VanHorton

VanHorton

that car is so righteous! haha

20. Dirty2

Dirty2

I think is is one of the coolest roadsters . So what makes it a uni-body ? Is it a front sect frame than body and than the rear section. Or is the body welded to the frame ? Always wondered. I looked at it at Mokan but had been drinking a little .

21. VanHorton

VanHorton

pretty sure the body is welded to the frame... dont hold me to it though, it just came up in a thread about Kevin Lee's coupe...

22. Body and frame are one. Floor is at the bottom of the rails. The driveshaft is enclosed in a spine like a modern sports car. There is NO FLEX that you can see when it runs down the track or road, and the doors shut real nice (unless I bust the latch:eek:)

I am not an expert on the car nor do I intend to speak for Alex. I did however spend a ton of time in Joplin and online asking him about the construction.

23. FWilliams

FWilliams

I thought getting sideways in it was a blast also......... but prolly the craziest ride of my life was riding in it when Jerry towed us thru those back roads of missouri at night back to the host hotel......holy shit.

my view for a weekend

mokan05 001.jpg

mokan05 004.jpg mokan05 005.jpg

mokan05 006.jpg mokan05 009.jpg

24. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yep...:)

25. metalshapes

metalshapes

And the repairs after the Tow...:D :D

Attached Files:

26. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

There are no shots of the part of the car that impressed me the most, the floor and the tranny tunnel. That interior is surprisingly spacious and it really makes the whole car special.

From the outside it is just a Model A sport coupe with a roadster cowl and a really trick one-off roof on a 32 frame and that is impressive enough. But when you get up close to the car and see all of the little details it are kind of a mind blower.

27. Alex, did you ever get the blower back on?

28. atomickustom

atomickustom

Jeez, I walked right past that car more than once and never even noticed the dropped floor. Cool idea - more simple than the space frame construction I have been toying with. (And also answers one of my nagging questions "why aren't more roadster bodies welded to the frames?" The answer, apparently, is "because the builder didn't think of it!"?)

I know there were several roadsters welded to their frames in some mid-'50s magazines I've read, but none of them thought of then doing the floorpan in a lower position etc. Smart car! (Or should I say, smart car builder!)

29. metalshapes

metalshapes

This construction pic shows a bit of it.
    ( taken through the Cowl before the top panel went on...)

const 05.jpg

Tman, yeah, the Blower is back on.
    Now rebuilt for the 2nd time ( by John Erb, because the first guy didn't do a good job )

And a 327 built by Racefab...:)

'28 Roadster 005.jpg

'28 Roadster 001.jpg