Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spring in front of axle...Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LesIsMore, Dec 2, 2008.

1. LesIsMore

LesIsMore
    from Ohio

Doesn't seem to be too popular? But, does anyone have a 39 frontend or similar vintage with the spring mounted in front of the axle? Would like to see pics of someones setup or see other options for reconfiguring it, ie, different or custom perches etc.

Trying to use what I have, if a total waste of time, guess I can just shell out the bucks for a different setup. Anybody think it is fine?[​IMG]

2. F&J

F&J

I'm no expert, but that dropped axle setup looks like a 35 or 36.Mod the bones by cutting off the tips. Then use 34-down perches & "spring over axle".

3. LesIsMore

LesIsMore
    from Ohio

Can anyone confirm or deny the year of this, taken off of a 39 which I though was stock stuff. So if not, anyone know the exact year? Please help identify...Here is a closeup
    [​IMG]

4. This question comes up here every few weeks. Search Frank Mack. Best example of spring in front!

5. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

My coupe had a 40 spring in front but I can't find any good pics.

[​IMG]

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

looks like a 40 frontend, 39 spindles....

7. LesIsMore

LesIsMore
    from Ohio

Thanks. So a few of you are running it, and negatives or reason not to?

8. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

It was a stock setup for years. Dennis Carpenter catalog shows it used from 37 to 41 in both cars and pickups. I orderd a NOS wishbone specifically to get this one to split. It's the heaviest available and will stand up to shock mounting and spring perches on the side of the bones. I like the idea of using the spring out front where your design allows it.

9. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

The Khougaz roadster used this set up with a flat crossmember to get it super low.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. F&J

F&J

btt...

I am positive that the axle itself is 33-36. It has been dropped. Look at the distance from the perch hole to the kingpin; a 37 up axle would be shorter distance.

If it is a 33-36 axle, then that must be 35/36 wishbone.

Back to how to use it. You can put a 32-34 spring over the axle by cutting off the tips of the bones where the spring perches are now. You need 32-34 style perch bolts to mount the 32-34 spring.

Also the spindles look like 37-41, plus with 40? hyd brakes... You DO have the good stuff..
    I have the same setup but I did the 32-34 spring. I've bought used springs for 10 to 25 and the 10 dollar one came with the 32/4 perch bolts. Need a pic?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  11. By the way, that's a REALLY nice pan set up on the frame horns of that roadster...

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

More than a few well known classic hot rods use the late style spring in front setup. Isky T roadster, the Lil Deuce coupe, The Frank Mack T, and the aforementioned Khougaz roadster just to name a few. It will shorten the wheelbase if you mount the spring in the stock location on an earlier spring over frame. Not too popular these days for some reason, I'm surprised a know-it-all hasn't jumped down your throat yet for "doing it all wrong"...:eek:;)

13. dirt

dirt

i plan on using my stock 39 front end on my 31 pickup. i have no problem with the spring being up front. like stated, it will shorting the wheelbase a little but i dont think it will kill the look of the car. i am also using the 39 rear, out of the same car. i am going to relocate the spring on the rear so it lines up with the wheel well of the bed. or i might just flip the center section of the banjo and relocate the rear crossmember 8.5 inches forward.or i could even do this http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289693 check out the pictures of the second rear crossmember. its a pretty neat solution.

14. 31whitey

31whitey

on my stock 32 frame...my 36 front end fit right into the ball socket for the wishbone

and the spring lined right up in the front cross member...had to grind the spring front to back to narrow it but dimension wise...same distance.

15. skwurl

skwurl

looks a lot like to mine.

Attached Files:

16. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

one of the baddest little coupes has that setup...

[​IMG]

17. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

there is a setup same as you have on my friends T. The bones a split with ford tierods that mount in tabs off the trans mount close togetter like the stock wishbone was only the about a foot apart to make more room. then we heated and bent the bones right behind the perches just a little bit to keep the stock spring hangers in like and put it in. The setup rides really nice and looks good and clean. Plus your car sits lower then it would with spring above axle. the only down side is you lose about 3in of wheel base so the car dosent look as long i guess. but it dose work well and if you have it you should use it.

18. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Its an old trick to drop a couple inches, heres my east coast survivor built in the mid-fiftles with that treatment. John

[​IMG]

19. LesIsMore

LesIsMore
    from Ohio

Are all of these mounted to a stock A crossmember in stock position? They actally look fine to me, I suppose if on a fendered car it would be more noticeable...thanks for the pics. I'll keep you guys posted, I haven't done a post on the project yet.

20. Crankhole

Crankhole

What are guys doing to fit the 2" spring into the 1 3/4" crossmember?

21. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

God damn I love that car Dreddy!

22. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

Im starting to set up my frame and put 40 stuff under it too . I think you can portion everything to make the car look right . Make it look low and it will take your eye off of the details ?

23. F&J

F&J

They look normal to me..:) there were so many built that way around here back in the day. It was a real cheap/easy way to get instant loweriing, plus get hyd brakes....just by swapping stuff from a boneyard.

That "look" looks best on old style builds.. IMO.. old motors, old style wheels, etc

24. The different axle makes it looks much better, the stock axle has no distance for drop.
    I am tossing up using the same set up as well.
    Make's using lever actions a snap as well.

I am pretty sure Jimmy White's coupe has that set up as well.

25. To me, the spring forward axle changes the appearance of a car drastically because of the wheelbase change. The frontal view also changes so much too. It's not anything I want to do if I have the chance to build another car. Just my opinion, no bashing here.
    If it's the look you like, go for it. If not, you have trading material or donor parts to put juice brakes on an earlier axle.

26. GuyW

GuyW

Beautiful car, but the flimsiest steering arm I've ever seen...

27. dirt

dirt

thats a good question. i was going to grind the springs to fit the crossmember. what other opions are there? isn't the stock A spring not wide enough for a 35-40 stock setup?

28. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

Not trying to hijack the tread (OK I am), this is on the same subject, I have a spring in front axle left over from project, keeping it for some future use. But would like to know what it is from. The whole thing is chromed and I think it was originally installed somewhere in the '50s. The setup looks factory made, not a one off made piece.

Could anyone help me ID this setup, I need to find some brake parts. I think they are '41 brakes but I'm not positive.

Sorry for the weird angle of the pictures, the whole setup is still attached to a part of the old (badly made) frame and is in a spot where I can't get it right side up, so it's underside out against a wall.

Attached Files:

29. F&J

F&J

Looks like a 37-41 setup to me.

Yikes, I have never seen split bones with "drag link" ends welded on.

30. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

My buddy used that method on his 34 back in the early 50's to drop the front end, I used a suide set up with a 32, spring on top of the axle, on mine. Both dropped the front ends.