Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Si Mal

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. 40Chevy

40Chevy
    from california

Thats a good read. It gives me goosebumps on what it would feel like in the cockpit.

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Very creative and brave men......with minimal rollbars in those roadsters they are my heros......thanks Ryan for an awesome early morning read.

4. stan292

stan292

Good stuff Ryan.

I was only 10 years old in '54, but many of those cars stayed around for several years and I distinctly recall the Shadoff car, as well as the Barris/Chet Herbert-labeled car. Wasn't it owned by Ermie (Ernie?) Immerso - or something like that? I always thought it was one of the very coolest 'liners ever. Just a classic '50s shape. I wonder if the body was indeed a Barris design? Anyone know more about it. I seem to recall it later ran with multiple overhead Ford motors.

What I'm really intrigued by though, is the "LeBlanc Special." That's one I don't recall ever seeing anything about. It really looks quite advanced. Again, does anyone out there have more info on the car?

Thanks -

5. stan292

stan292

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention how impressed I was with Mal's writing. I assume there was some editing involved, but still, a pretty well-told tale.

I think racing fans - and perhaps car owners - have done drivers a real dis-service over the years by simply seeing them as just "meat-in-the-seat". This Hooper character obviously had plenty going for him.

6. Whoa ... I had to read Ryan's second paragraph twice ... thought at first he was saying that I had a "man crush" on him! :eek:

I thought the article was a good read as well ... and some cool B-ville pics / illustrations that I had never seen before.

Now if I could just get my wife to think that trimming grass is fun! :D ... whodathunk that Porter Cable was making "Yardmaster" weed whackers back in 1954?

HEMI32 (aka Todd)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  7. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

I'd like to hang with Mr. Hooper... anyone know if he's still with us?

8. If we could only go back in time.
    Thanks Ryan

9. sodas38

sodas38

Great post today Ryan. Excellent break from work even if it was only 10 minutes. :)

10. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Wow good read. I'd like to run the salts just once in my life. Seems like a ton of fun.

11. No, he's no longer with us ... the Bonneville 200 MPH Club website (click HERE) lists Malcolm Hooper as "deceased" ... so you'll just have to Hang with Mr. Cooper instead! :D:

[​IMG]

12. autobilly

autobilly

The cute little Beat Chick looks like she's having a ball.
    Great read, really puts you there. Good work as usual HEMI32.

(PS. Todd, a quick check of TJJ each day is ok.)

13. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

great read. makes me want to build a streamliner of my own. :D

14. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

It makes me wish I got to talk with the many old time rodders that i,ve met or passed by in my time. There are many Ive discovered in the rod publications like, Ernie Drake, Bill Eppling, Ray Torres, Chauncey Crist [who worked in my shop at Kaiser steel and I never knew he was a racer] Walt June, Bill Eppling, Ernie Drake,who took me for a ride in his little Dodge hemi powered 29street rdstr., also Burt Liethold when he had the GMC in his 29[Jim Kitchen rdstr.] Don Montgomery whom I have talked to, I missed Dan Gurney but heard tales of them days from the Riverside guys. I got into it when the Flathead had just died but us young guys didnt know it yet, so we were still dreaming of building one. Got my Model A running with a 265 chevy and was proud to be one of the few running a sbc.gggg We need to talk with these guys that are left.

15. moefuzz

moefuzz

-It's been a lonoooooooong week here for me so I just got around to reading this,

There are many interesting points here, one of the most interesting is the diagram with the arrow pointing at 825 hemi-rich horse power,
    -all in 1954,

Very Interesting......

16. old thread I know but had to add a little extra Hooper info,,,,,,,

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  17. Good read! Thanks for bringing it back.

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

so is that fred carrillo the same guy as the con rods????

19. Yes!