Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 09-30-2004, 04:32 PM   #1
SpeedRacer2002

Default how do i wire a GM 3 wire alternator

can anyone tell me where all the wires go??? and i know i can get a 1 wire but i have a brand new 3 wire and i want to use it on this car.....
online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 05:23 PM   #2
Brickster

Default Re: how do i wire a GM 3 wire alternator

try this
http://www.novaresource.org/alternator.htm
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 05:32 PM   #3
BigDdy31

Good link man, thanks.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-30-2004, 06:28 PM   #4
Homeresque
Grenade Inspector

Location: Yucaipa, Calif, USA(not to be confused with Yucca Pie)

For the common garden variety Delco 3-wire in a typical non-pigtail hotrod application, do this...
The big wire(pole with nut) is obviously the power and goes to starter pole, headlight pole, ign pole, whatever, depending on how youre wired. The next two say '1' and '2' and are spade connections. One of them('2' I think) you simply loop over and connect to the big wire pole, thats all. The other one('1' I think) goes to the switched side of the ignition, or you can run to the ign side of the coil, doesnt matter, but must be turned on and off with ign. Now be sure to do this(or once you start the car you cant turn it off without yanking out something), inline on this wire install a one-way resistor, like a zenor diode from Radio Shack so that current can only flow from the switch to the alt.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:39 PM   #5
Dooley

I ran mine like this.
Big wire is wired through my ammeter to the starter.
In the plug in one, #1 goes to the ignition, the other #2 loops over the the batt post on the alternator.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:48 PM   #6
moondisc

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Alternator.html
Old 09-30-2004, 09:18 PM   #7
jerry
Alliance Member

you can also run a small light buld in line on the wire from the igntion switch. it ahs enough resistance to keep the motor from running on. factory does the same with the idiot light.

jerry
Old 09-30-2004, 09:41 PM   #8
choprods
Alliance Vendor

Location: Elmer,Mo.USA All the COOL... people on the HAMB have already been here,why haven't you?

Mostly right BUT on that two wire plug in #1 term loops to the back of alt[BATTERY PLUS] with a heavy wire.
NUMBER2 TERMINAL HOOKS TO ACCESSORY SIDE OF IGN SWITCH-=DONE
Old 09-30-2004, 10:13 PM   #9
moondisc

[ QUOTE ]
you can also run a small light buld in line on the wire from the igntion switch. it ahs enough resistance to keep the motor from running on. factory does the same with the idiot light.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I hooked it up in my 54 Merc.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:27 PM   #10
SpeedRacer2002

awesome info guys thanks much...
Old 06-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
Deville1904

Sorry for diggin this thread up from beneath the grave. Just that it seems like everyone seems to have a different suggestion for the proper wiring method on a 3-wire alternator.
I was running a single wire in my 54 cadillac but that turned out to be very unreliable for obvious reasons.
So now im looking for a 100 amp plus three wire but I want to make sure I wire it properly the first time.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #12
AllSteel36

What's posted above is how to "make" a single wire from a 3 wire Alternator.

Go to madelectrical.com, there's good diagrams...the down side of wiring it (3wire) as a one wire alt, you usually have to speed the engine up to get the alternator to start charging
Old 06-23-2010, 04:57 PM   #13
65gregg
Grenade Inspector

X2 on Mad Electrical
Old 06-23-2010, 10:43 PM   #14
Da Tinman
Alliance Member

Any 12v ignition hot can be used on the #1 post, I use the resistor side of the starter, with a diode. Works perfectly.

http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Old 06-23-2010, 11:18 PM   #15
enjenjo

If you jump the no.2 wire to the batt wire on the back of the alternator, it will work, but you are setting up a chronic low charge condition. The number 2 terminal is used to sense system voltage, and if it is seeing 12.5 volt at the alternator it shuts it down, when the rest of the system may be seeing only 11.8. So it is best to connect that at the junction where most of the systems in the car get their power. the fuse box is a good point, as is a firewall junction. So if you are running a basic system, not many accessories, it's ok to jump the terminal, but if you are using a lot of power, better rethink it.Just saying.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #16
Deville1904

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjenjo View Post
If you jump the no.2 wire to the batt wire on the back of the alternator, it will work, but you are setting up a chronic low charge condition. The number 2 terminal is used to sense system voltage, and if it is seeing 12.5 volt at the alternator it shuts it down, when the rest of the system may be seeing only 11.8. So it is best to connect that at the junction where most of the systems in the car get their power. the fuse box is a good point, as is a firewall junction. So if you are running a basic system, not many accessories, it's ok to jump the terminal, but if you are using a lot of power, better rethink it.Just saying.
This is exactly my point. I am running other accesories and plan on getting it bagged so I really want to wire this properly. Anyone have suggestions on rewiring the ignition. Alot of the wiring in this cadi is OLD =P
Old 06-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #17
DougHH
Grenade Inspector

I've got a 3-wire from an early commodore in my '59 Belair. It's doing my head in. Car starts and runs fine, but when you go for a decent drive and you shut the car down it will not start again and needs to be jumped, which will also not happen for a while after stopping. I've also got no dash lights anymore and dim headlights after converting to Halogens which is driving me nuts.

Multimeter is telling me its running 13 and a bit volts or there-abouts to the battery when cold.

i've been through 3 alternators so far trying to rectify. one was confirmed stuffed by an auto electrician. last one i bought which should be good was a wreckers reco one.
I've run the Big pole to the battery not sure which one was to the generator indicator bulb in the dash and the final to the relay/switch that runs to the horn.

Can anyone please help?!?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #18
Ford-Man
Grenade Inspector

Be careful if you loop the one small wire over to the positive side...that wire is for the idiot light. If you go to any Advance Auto or Auto Zone...whatever McParts store you desire...they can show you the diagram out of the box. Pretty much all 3 wire alternators come with a wiring diagram to explain where the #1 and #2 wires go. On mine, one of em says to run to ignition switch, the other is to run in a loop to the idiot light...at least thats what the destructions told me.

http://www.rodsterscarclub.com/
Old 06-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #19
Aquaroscoe
Grenade Inspector

I wired mine last weekend as Enjenjo described. All wires go back to the fuse panel area. I added the lamp and diode (1n5408) if I recall correctly to a switched source.
So to recap, big wire to junction block, #1 white wire to a diode (line [cathode] closest to alt) then a lamp then to a switched 12 vdc, and finally the #2 red wire to the fuseblock non-switched point.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #20
Model A Vette

Maybe this will help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alt wiring.gif
Views:	5899
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	1011401