Register now to get rid of these ads!

'39 Ford Deluxe progress- wish I had a garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by duste01, Oct 27, 2008.

1. duste01

duste01

For those of you that have asked about it. This is a summation of where I am at. Although I am without a garage, I am persistent in doing. I have put it back under wraps and have put most of it away for the winter and have converted it back to a high dollar dog house. I am back to planning and scheming to drag little projects into the house during the winter to get ready for spring. I started yesterday on the frozen column lock and have successfully removed the plug without damage to the column or the lock cylinder. Now I have to go get some new bolts to remove the steering wheel.
    I will be looking for bits and pieces to fire the 21 stud when it warms back up. for now enjoy the pics. Dusty
    http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217/duste01/39%20ford/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
    Model T1 likes this.
  2. NYfatboy

NYfatboy

Hey,I love it when the kids help!

reagen likes this.
  3. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Now that is traditional if you ask me. Neat post. Looks like there needs to be an "Extreme Makeover" to errect garages for those deserving individuals such as duste01. Doing good by a 39 coupe and his family too. Good for you. Joe

Model T1 likes this.
  4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Your neighbors must be pissed! But at least the kids are happy.

5. Thank heaven for fenced in back yards & little kids right?

Looks like you're making great progress. Keep us posted.

JH

reagen likes this.
  6. duste01

duste01

The funny thing is the only people that it bothers is the city. The next door neighbor is a city garbage man, but his front yard looks like a wrecking yard. Mine is in the back where no one can see, and guarded by maggie shep/lab. Thats why I dont mind sharing with her, she keeps the parts where they belong. This is one of my favorite activities with the boys. I'll keep ya'll posted though. Thanks for the sweet comments, keep them coming too....I welcome correction and suggestion. Dusty

Model T1 and reagen like this.
  7. racemad55

racemad55

Now that's determination !!!!!

8. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

The way i see it,more cars and parts the less yard ya gotta mow.

Your doing an excellent job.

9. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You are what hot rodding is all about. No garage. Just hard work and inginuity. keep the kids involved.
    Gary

10. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Brother you are a great father!!!
    i only wished i could have picked up a grinder,or a sander and helped my dad....

11. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I agree with squigy.... dude that is SO #$@% COOL.
    this totally made my day.

it looks good in primer btw- good job guys.

Tuck

12. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

Cool keep those kids involved!

13. 39 Ford

39 Ford

The car is looking good, I worked for many years in my yard, it sucks. Without a garage it is one step forward one back for sure. See if you can build a carport with a concrete floor, you can then tarp the sides and extend your work year. Good Luck

Model T1 likes this.
  14. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"......wish I had a garage."

I got a garage - wish I had the coupe !! :(

15. Deadbird

Deadbird

I'll second that. Nice car.

16. F&J

F&J

This is a really good thing to see on the hamb. Pure Hotrodding, family particpating, and a great classic year & model in super good condition...and a flathead. Top that if you can :) you are a lucky guy

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That's how I worked on cars for many years. It's a test of ingenuity and a great way of having fun with cars. To say nothing about the boys and their dreams helping Daddy out.

Model T1 likes this.
  18. Nice project, looks like a good body. Why not find a load of second hand cement garden tiles in the 12" x 12" size ? Most people are glad to get rid of them for free. A few cubic yards of sand and you have your work floor.

19. duste01

duste01

You guys made my day too. This car has been a family treasure for many years. It will always be part of our family. It may not end up a 100 point show car but it will have lots of love and memories for the kids as well as the sense of accomplishment that comes from doing with your hands. I agree with all of you about keeping the kids involved, not only for them to do something worthwhile but to learn life skills and family unity.
    Thanks again for the support and the suggestions. Dusty

Model T1 likes this.
  20. duste01

duste01

Been doing alot of sanding and have determined the original color was indeed Folkstone grey. I am also trying to deside if I was to paint back original color, red, or black with flames. Having a degree in collision repair, I know how to make the fade. It also has the original floor which has no rot. I want to undercoat it, but I dont want to ruin the period look either.

THOUGHTS ANYONE?

Model T1 likes this.
  21. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Hey, you're doing great!! Lotsa rods have been built in backyards. Plus, I have to smile as I see those helpers. They look like they are doing the heavy work. Are they on the payroll? So, what do YOU do? Just sit there and direct? (smiling) Please, keep us updated with more info. Words and photos.

22. Fenders

Fenders

Boy you are ass to teakettle with your neighbors !
    I admire what you are accomplishing in your back yard.

23. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Look like the boys done opened a CAN OF WHOOP ASS on the coupe she is looking good Dad keep em at it!!

24. duste01

duste01

Thanks guys, I am trying to teach them good working skills along with ethic. I enjoy teaching them how things should be done and the reward of acomplishment that comes from doing something with your own hands. I'll try to keep the camera charged.

Model T1 likes this.
  25. Rusty

Rusty

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

26. That is too cool, the family memories, will be the best part!:D

27. duste01

duste01

Well, the color scheme finally came to me, and you know how the song goes, "one thing leads to another..."
    I was thinking about prepping all the pieces I needed to justify breaking into the gallon of paint and so as I was thinking of matching frame and motor together, I began to clean the motor up for paint and got carried away. Much to my suprize and delight I found an extremely clean motor on the inside. I do have some questions though.
    1. I took a wire wheel to the intake which I discovered was aluminum and had some intersting marking of unknown origin other than the year of the motor. I am wondering if its a generic aftermarket part or just Ford experimenting with Aluminum.
    2. The pully system on the front looks kinda hokey to me like someone added an extra pulley? Anyone? Its got a 24 cast into the bell. I believe its a '37 vintage from the 77 on the head.
    3. I am asking for advice on what things I can do to make it run with good power without taking it apart.

I am delighted to find that its in such great shape. excellent compression, oil looks fresh out of the bottle. Now if I could get the plugs out!!!!! come on Kroil!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
    Model T1 likes this.
  28. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

Alway awesome to see future hot rodders digging in on a projects ! Very Cool

29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Coolest backyard ever... and a damn good dad... Can't beat it.

30. ravedodger

ravedodger

The last post was in June. Any progress?