Register now to get rid of these ads!

PALEEZE help me hook up my QuadraJET and vaccuum stuff.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Neverdunn 51, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Neverdunn 51

Neverdunn 51
    from Flint, MI

Guys,

I've recently gotten the fever again - after having 3 kids - to finish throwing the 51 back together. The carb setup I have for it is a Quadrajet on an Edelbrock performer intake. The problem is that I have no idea where anything goes and all of my reference material only shows float/choke/rebuild settings, etc. - nothing or vaccuum line routing or requirements. The carb is a 4 barrel electric choke.

I know to hook up a small vaccuum port from the front to the vaccuum advance on the HEI. Thats where it stops. There are huge ports on the front and back of the bottom of the carb that I don't know what they should be hooked to. Please help if you can.

Where should I hook up the vaccuum line for/from my brake booster?

Can I just plug the hole in the back of the intake behind the carb - or do I need it for something?

Do I NEED a PCV valve in my rocker cover - and if so, where does the other end go?

If someone has any info that would help me finger this thing out - maybe even pics of the setup you have - I would be HUGELY appreciative.

I know my questions most likely seem stupid, but it doesn't change the fact that I need your help. I know that the carb I am asking for help with is not very popular or welcomed in many garages. That also does not change the fact that I am in need of your help. So BOOO and HISSS and throw tomatoes if you must, just include something helpful along the way if you could.

Thanks in advance.

Dead in the water,
    John

2. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

[ QUOTE ]
    Guys,

I've recently gotten the fever again - after having 3 kids - to finish throwing the 51 back together. The carb setup I have for it is a Quadrajet on an Edelbrock performer intake. The problem is that I have no idea where anything goes and all of my reference material only shows float/choke/rebuild settings, etc. - nothing or vaccuum line routing or requirements. The carb is a 4 barrel electric choke.

I know to hook up a small vaccuum port from the front to the vaccuum advance on the HEI. Thats where it stops. There are huge ports on the front and back of the bottom of the carb that I don't know what they should be hooked to. Please help if you can.

Where should I hook up the vaccuum line for/from my brake booster?

Can I just plug the hole in the back of the intake behind the carb - or do I need it for something?

Do I NEED a PCV valve in my rocker cover - and if so, where does the other end go?

If someone has any info that would help me finger this thing out - maybe even pics of the setup you have - I would be HUGELY appreciative.

I know my questions most likely seem stupid, but it doesn't change the fact that I need your help. I know that the carb I am asking for help with is not very popular or welcomed in many garages. That also does not change the fact that I am in need of your help. So BOOO and HISSS and throw tomatoes if you must, just include something helpful along the way if you could.

Thanks in advance.

Dead in the water,
    John

[/ QUOTE ]

Brake booster line hooks up to the manifold between the distributor and carb

PCV hook up I Think goes in that big port in the back of the carb along the bottom

I can try and take one of my crappy pictures when I get home and post it for you

3. Neverdunn 51

Neverdunn 51
    from Flint, MI

Thank you very much.

That puts me at least 2 steps closer.

4. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

The umbicquitus Q jet is one of the best carb designs ever made! You have it all! Economy,with the small front barrells,Then when you want to git,Those HUGE secondaries come on like gangbusters!! First off, the big rear plug can be used for the brake booster, if you dont have one on your manifold.(full large manifold vacuum). On the right front is the ported manifold vacuum, which goes to the distributor advance. On the front left,is a small manifold vacuum nipple,use it if you need it, or plug it. On the lower front is a 3/8" or so manifold vacuum nipple, this is connected to the right side pcv system valve cover,which should have a pcv valve attatched. The left side vent hole in your valve cover is the "intake "side od the pcv system and should have a unvalved line running to the underside of your air filter pan,getting filtered air to breathe. Some models will have diffrent vacuum lines, etc, which you can plug etc.I hope this will get you started in the right direction!! Sparky

5. Neverdunn 51

Neverdunn 51
    from Flint, MI

Thanks alot Jalopy.

I'm running a K&N velocity stack and filter though - so I don't have any air filter pan.

Thanks again.

John

6. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Can use a K+N filtered push-in breather?

7. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

looks like I was way off on them hookups compared to the way one of mine is currently done, heres a basically untouched stock connections on my 74 chevy engine quadrajet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope that helps and sorry for causing confusion! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. cclem

cclem

I have an 86 Chevy C-10 and was wondering if anyone knows which vacuum lines are not needed I have removed all the lines except for vacuum advance and the pcv the rest are plugged I just need to know if any of the ones I have plugged need to be hooked up and to where.

9. Danburnsart

Danburnsart
    from 59044

So which is really the vaccuum advance? I've seen several diagrams showing the one on the drivers side of the carb, as the photos in this post show, as being the vaccuum advance, and I've seen others saying that the one on the upper passengers side is for the VA. I've had the one on my Camaro hooked to the later, but gonna try the other one. My Q has been surging, and I'm thinking it might be a vaccuum issue

10. look for a leak use carb cleaner or soapy water both work well. The Q jet is one of the best carbs ever built. just remember if you rebuild it re do the shafts and bronz sleves want more spray shave the pump shaft.