Register now to get rid of these ads!

First they came for you,and I did nothing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48ford, Sep 23, 2008.

1. 48ford

48ford

The township that I live in is passing a law that is to clean up junk cars.
    They will have the power to come on to your property and take your car ,then send you a bill to get rid of it!
    You will get 14 days to get rid of it before thay take it.
    you can't just cover it with a tarp. If its over 3 years old ans its not compleat,drivable,and got a current tag its gone.
    They can't take them out of your shop or garage. I got one that I can't fit anyplace so I will TRY to just get a portable garage from harboe freight,Or If I put it on my car trailer it will be "comming or going"
    We have always had a close relationship with everyone out here ,but we had a lot of new people buiding the last few years,so things change.
    Sorry for the rant
    Russ

2. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

Email the boys over at the SEMA Action Network. This is exactly the type of stuff they fight against.
    Make sure you join up too.

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I got a nice portable garage from FarmTec some years ago and it's still nice. Might look into that.

4. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Prolly about time you cleaned that shit up anyway .. Geeze....
    Its getting bad everywhere and really whats the point... There are empty 300k houses sitting all over that need the fucking lawns mowed and they pick on you...
    Cheer up..
    Dave

5. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Not that I think this would be right but I could almost see them fining people for it maybe, but to go on YOUR property and take it would earn them a blown out knee literally. I don't get who these people think they are. Townships around here are getting alittle assy about it too. It doesn't matter if you live in the woods with no neighbors anywhere near you. If you have parts or junk cars or projects that don't move on thier own, they want them out. Freakin Tofu fartin, tree huggin pricks that don't know shit about anything other than how to drum up bullshit laws and ordinances to make themselves happy and look good for the rest of the people that also don't give a shit about cars or having parts on hand to keep the old American steel rolling. Sorry, this thread kinda pissed me off

6. Will they accept a fabric garage? I got a King Canopy from Sam's for $200. They aren't as good as they used to be buy mine just survived FAY ... a pine cone went through the top from a 100' pine tree and it was one of those green heavy ones. I patched it with some white duck tape ... Mine's a 10X20. King Canopy has a website ...

7. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Its only a matter of time before its here. With all the home foreclosures and properties being abandoned my township has its hands full with maintenance but someone did turn in the guy down the street that had an expired tag.
    I have one IM junking out right now so IM expecting them to send a letter.

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

This would be an excellent reason to live out of town!

9. James427

James427
    BANNED

I think they should make clear plexiglass garages just for situations like this.

10. Squablow

Squablow

I've heard about this a couple of times and it always seems to come up in Ohio. I wonder why?

Definitely need to contact SEMA and see what you can do to fight it.

11. Sorry to here it.

Had the same problem here and I live in the middle of the forest. You can't see my driveway unless you're standing in it.

If you buy a portable, buy one made out of steel, not aluminum. If you expect any kind of snow load, weld some gussets in the corners and add bars to the roof area between those that are already there. Trust me on that one...

Good luck...

JOE:cool:

12. hoarder1212

hoarder1212

Put up a privacy fence and buy more junk!

13. You are constituionally protected a from ( Ex post facto laws) which means after the fact. Simply put if you were doing whatever before the law it cannnott be applied to you. Having said that you have to be able to afford it:eek:. Lawyers and appeals cost money that most dont have:mad:. you might contact the civil libertys union sometimes they have free lawyers. good luck OldWolf

14. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

Most politicians have no respect for private property rights.

15. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Do like my sister and brother-in-law did. They set up a DBA as metal artist. The county boys did a flyover on their 280 acres and saw that they had some old cars. They are doing this all over the county not just them. Sent them a letter saying they had junk cars to get rid of. My sister contacted her attorney[cousin] and he shot off a letter saying it was part of their artwork and was definately for sale. The powers that be just moved on to the next poor sap. Get creative.

16. DadsDodge

DadsDodge

What? I dont see that well. I thought they just punks! What do you mean "Give up my Gun"?

17. They have stupid laws like that here too, and it pisses me off. I've seen some nice project cars in the neighborhood get tagged and hauled off to the crusher because some nosy neighbor called the cops on their "unregistered vehicles". The owners of the cars didn't have the money or didn't have a good place to store the car, so they were sh*t out of luck. People have gotten into the habit of backing their unregistered cars up against a garage door so that the nosy neighbors can't get back there to see whether the tags are expired or not.

If you keep the cars clean and drivable looking, you'll probably be okay. If it's up on blocks for a year at a time and you have neighbors that don't like you, you're screwed.

So it's okay to have an ugly pink and green house or a house with a tumbleweeds for a front yard, but it's a crime against humanity to park an "unsightly" old car in your driveway? Most of the people in local government are either in the real estate business or somehow tied in with housing developers. Their main goal is to "clean up the neighborhood" so a new crowd of people will move in and pay inflated prices for a bunch of new crappy houses made out of styrofoam and pressed sawdust.

18. We dont have those issues here but part of my plan is too add a 6 foot privacy fence and make the area behind my shop a "compound". If need be I will cover it with cammo netting. I have tons of elbow room but just want to make sure.

19. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

no need to apologize, its a worthy rant...
    are you allowed to just move it to the other side of the driveway evry couple weeks so it looks like it runs? and back it in so they cant see the tags?

20. Even my rusty hulks are titled and licensed. Hardfor them to bitch when you paid the revenue!

21. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

22. If you haven't done it already, print off copies of both your local ordinances and your state laws about classic cars and their storage.

They get a funny look on their faces when you quote statutes and tell them what the law is.

I have the same problem here, but I am armed with knowledge most people don't have.

The county pricks like to "stretch the truth" quite a bit.
    And they like to bring their cop buddies with them to scare you more.

Last I heard, flyovers are not legal, to the extent of enforcement in this area. Just for their reference.
    If its not visible from the road, its not there.
    Some areas dictate its not visible from the neighbors yards, etc as well.
    They are enforcing the fact that it is a public nusiance, eyesore, etc.
    If its covered in your back yard, behind locked gates, no one can see it or get to it, if they are within the law.

Last time I checked, none of my neighbors owns a helicopter..

23. ^^^^^^^^^^^Mine does!!!!:eek:

BTW, learning the codes is SMART advice!

24. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I'm always a little confused about laws like this. What part of the following is not clear?
    4th Amendment to the US Constitution:
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I'm no lawyer, but that seems pretty cut and dried to me. Honest to God, I am amazed every time something comes up about local governments writing a law that says they can come in and take your property for any reason what so ever.

I would call SEMA and see what they say, and see if they can have one of their legal experts both take a look at the law, and/or send a letter on their letterhead to the city attorney.

Second, as much as I despise the ACLU, this seems like a perfect case for them. I'd call them and let them know the government is planning to destroy your 4th Amendment rights. Then have their lawyers send a nasty-gram to the Township's lawyer.

Second, it might be worth the effort to install a gate across your driveway. I have no idea what the legal ramifications are, but I can't believe this law would give them the right to cut a lock to gain access to your property in order to remove your personal possessions.

-Brad

25. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

These "knick-knack nazis" are everywhere.
    An ex state johnny law was given a job here to clean up properties to increase values.
    He's a "double-dipping derwood" too.
    Hope we all come out ahead of this!

26. 72sst

72sst

We seem to be heading in the opposite direction that our founding fathers had in mind.These political morons need to be stopped.Give them an inch and they take a mile.
    They are going father and farther from the constitution every day.I wish the people of this country would grow some brass balls and have an American Revolution part deux.The country is in serious trouble.Property rights have become non-existent.Kinda hate the human race right now.

27. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Knew an old biker that the city was given him shit to clean up his yard or put up a fence. He tore down a friends barn and used the boards to make a fence. The ugliest (but uniquely awesomest) fence you could imagine. Boards up 15 feet. Now they look at that.

28. rodknocker

rodknocker

The problem now is they have lazy ass city employees sitting on the internet looking at google earth and seeing everything from the big eye in the sky.

29. jj mack

jj mack

We have guns to take care of that..someone trys to take your property here you can use deadly force to stop them. They can not take your property off your property. (unless the whole place looks like a dump) and they condemn the whole place.

Its a car...they are meant to be outside.

30. sorry to hear of your situation.. keep calm ask for all zoning laws and try to get the freindly naybors involved
    I HATE THE IDEA OF GETTING WHAT YOU WANT THROUGH WORK AND EFFORT AND SOMEONE ELSE DOES NOT LIKE YOUR LIFESTYLE ?..CARS, RELIGION, SKIN COLOR ,EVEN THE FOOD YOU COOK/EAT
    WHATS NEXT...HOUSE COLOR ,WINDOW SIZE, YOUR WIFES HAIR COLOR, HOW MUCH YOU WEIGH ?

IF YOUR TAXES ARE PAID ANDTHE STUFF IS YOURS
    THEY ARE TAKING AWAY YOUR RIGHT TO BE HAPPY ... TELL THEM THAT

I DON'T HUNT ,FISH, WATCH SPORTS ,GOLF,GARDEN ,HAVE A YARD FULL OF KIDS TOYS OR RELIGIOUS RELICS,
    I WOULD HAVE ALL GRAVEL SO I WOULDN'T HAVE TO MOW IF I COULD.
    ALL MY VEHICLES ARE PAID FOR ...I PAY FOR MANY LICENCES A YEAR AND ALL RUNNING ONES ARE CURRENT WITH INSURANCE

MY HOBBY IS OLD CARS ...ITS WHAT I HAVE SPENT MY LIFE WORKING FOR AND NOW I'M RETIRING AND ENJOYING THE THINGS I HAVE WORKED HARD TO GET

MY HOBBY SUPPORTS MANY PEOPLE LOCAL AND NATIONWIDE
    INSURANCE , PARTS,MAINTANENCE, INTERNET AND ON AND ON ..
    MY AUTO LICENSE FEES ARE 6 TIMES GREATER THAN THE AVERAGE HOUSE HOLD

I HAVE LARGE BUILDINGS AND LIVE ON 10 PLUS ACRES ... WHY ? SO I CAN DO THIS HOBBY ..
    AM I BITCHING ABOUT THE NAYBORS BUSINESSES THAT DISTURB MY LIFE ..NO

RECENTLY A CONCERNED GROUP OF CITY FOLK ARE CONCERNED THAT THE LARGE AREAS OF TREES STILL STANDING IN THE CITY SHOULD BE PRESERVED .. THATS FINE PAY THE REAL PRICE FOR LARGE PARCELS WITH TREES NEVER BEEN CUT..OR LEAVE US ALONE
    .BUT ITS THIS WAY BECAUSE WE HAD THE FORSIGHT YEARS AGO..
    NOT THE KNEE JERK NOW BECAUSE OF DIMINISHED FOILIAGE IN THE OTHER HOUSING DEVELOPMENTS ..

WILL I EVER ALLOW SOME ONE TO HAUL SOMETHING FROM MY PROPERTY . NO
    .I'LL HAVE TO BE DEAD OR HANDCUFFED BEFORE THAT WOULD EVER HAPPEN ..

hmmmm MAYBE I'LL HAVE TO TAKE UP HUNTING ANY WAY...

JESSE "THE BODY" WAS A ACTUAL NAYBOR OF MINE FOR YEARS ..
    HE SHOWED THE WAY TO BE FREE..AND BE AN AMERICAN..

SO VOTE BE AWARE OF YOUR LOCAL GOVERNMENT BE INVOLVED
    ... GOOD LUCK

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008