Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech: Simpler the better: Early ford pedal pads.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mart, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Mart

Mart

Ok, so I had some new pedal pads stashed so I did not order new ones for my 32. Then I found the 32 uses a through bolt, with a nut and the pedal pads I had stashed have a taper thread. Henry liked to keep things simple so I guessed they were a common pipe fitment. Sure enough the thread is 1/4" pipe thread. (American not BSP). So it's an easy job to tap the pedals to the pipe size, and use the later pads. This allows the use of the later bullseye type design if you so desire, but original stock type 32 pads will still bolt through if you wanted to retrofit some later.
    There is a little wrinkle to this job so here are some pics.

Pic 1: The pedal boss has two cross grooves. this makes it difficult to start the tap.

[​IMG]

Pic 2: So start the tap from the back of the pedal.

[​IMG]

Pic 3: Run it through till you have threads on the raised portions of the grooved side. As shown is far enough.

[​IMG]

Pic 4: Then you can start the tap from the front side and pick up the existing threads.

[​IMG]

Pic 5: The newer style pedal pad then screws right in until it tightens up.

[​IMG]

Pic 6: Don't do it too tight, and stop when the pattern is level. Looks right at home.

[​IMG]

I know it's dead simple and pretty obvious, but sometimes it's worth showing just how easy some jobs are.

I bought the tap from NAPA part number T-302. I did notice some damage to the tap threads, probably because the pedals are made of high quality steel and the tap isn't the best. They must be available from elsewhere, I just needed one at short notice while in the USA so got mine at NAPA.
    UK rodders: I have used a 1/4" BSP tap before now, there is a slight discrepancy in the tpi but works ok in this application.

Mart.

2. blackout

blackout

3. are you sure about the 1/4" pipe thread? i just installed a bullseye one today and it had 1/2-20 NF threads..of course i'm in the US , maybe ford did it different over there

4. Crankhole

Crankhole

Very nicely done....thanks.

5. Mart

Mart

I just checked the bullseye pads on my 40. They're the same.. 1/4" pipe threads.
    I had some UK 39 pedals too, they had the same US pipe thread.

If yours have a 1/2" thread, they may have been died down or supplied for an aftermarket pedal.

6. gas pumper

gas pumper

Aftermarket pedal heads come in both 1/4 pipe and 1/2-20. I've seen both in catalogs. Apparently Ford did it both ways, too. I think early cars were pipe and later threaded 1/2-20.

Frank

7. after reading this i had to go out and recheck....my `36 and `28 fords with Pete & Jakes brake pedals have 1/2-20 thread. then i checked an original ford brake pedal and it is 1/4" pipe thread. Bob Drake's catalog does have pedals with both threads

what i can't figure out is that i have been messing with old Fords for 40 years and i never knew this! besides the hot rods i have built , i have even owned many original fords.. including at least four `40 fords , a couple 35/36 and a `46 ford...i'm just surprised this never came to my attention before. i guess it's never too late to learn

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

same here--found this when building a couple of 40's with aftermarket pedal setups. Tapped to pipe thread and Drake repo 40 pedals went right in--have done several since.

9. Yaril

Yaril

today i was trying to get the nuts for my aftermarket pedals. so i took them with me to the local hardware store only to be dissapointed. i tried the only 2 nuts they had, 1/2"-13 and 1/2"-20, neither worked. so when i got home i checked the number of teeth and according to my gauge it is 1/2"-18. is that a pipe thread or something?

im looking to simply slip the pedal pads through the metal pedals and put a nut behind them to hold them. any insight?

10. Mart

Mart

The pipe thread is .540" diameter, (tapered) and 18tpi.
    Your pads have the pipe thread. Go buy a 1/4 NPT pipe thread tap and tap your pedals.

Mart.