Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electric Exhaust Cutouts - Any first hand experience?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay Ess, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

Did my due diligence by using the search function. Found reference to them regarding the cost but no real comments from anyone running them. They seem to range in price from from $250 - $500 a pair for 2 1/2". There seem to be 2 types, a rotating flapper door and the most expensive have a guillotine style siding door. I know there are cheaper alternatives but I am willing to spend the money if they work well.

Anyone have first hand experience with the installation and or is running them?

Thanks,
    js

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

The flapper door types don't seem to last as long as the sliding door type. My friend has had (Dougs Headers) his for over 7 years now, no problems. Sounds kinda dorky on a stock motor though. More like an exhaust leak.

3. I have used the flapper door types and in my opinion they sound like they had an exhaust leak when they were closed, especially if the mufflers were fairly quiet. The Doug's units with the guillotine door do not have that issue but they are the most expensive, you gets whatcha pays for.

4. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

My buddy has them on his '55. I can't remember who made his but he bought them from Summit - they are the rotating type. He's only had them a short time - but so far they work great. The added bonus is that you can run them "in between" and basically adjust the volume of the exhaust- not that he has much call to do that. Bottom line they work and sound great - we'll have to see how long they last. YMMV

5. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else?
    js

6. Bellytanker

Bellytanker
    from California

I own a muffler shop and have installed many sets over the years. IMO the electric butterfly type works very well, and the option of varying the opening is a plus. The older butterfly type that was operated by a cable, was a joke, didn't do anything right. The brand I've seen most recently is QTP (Quick time products) from Summit. Pair them with Warlock mufflers (the style that has a removeable outlet plug) and you have a great setup that's normally easy to mount.

7. PRoz

PRoz

I installed a set on a late model Impala car for a customer.
    They were DMH, http://www.dmhperformance.com/, and work great.
    I ended up using a different switch so you could have them open at any point.
    The DMH supplied switch is either open or closed.

8. I sold a set of the slider style Doug Thorley ones to a customer a few years back....Doug the man not the company he sold years ago. They work great, very little leakage.

9. The ones you are talking about are from Doug's Headers, which was Doug's company until 3 years ago when he decided to retire and sold it to PerTronix who also manufactures Patriot Exhaust and Thunderbird Headers(Which for the old timers was E I E, Ermie Immerso Enterprises). Doug Thorley Headers was owned by Doug's wife and is a completely different company and has nothing to do with Doug's Headers or the slide type electric cut outs.
    Just to end (or cause) the confusion.

10. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I made my own about 5 years ago. Mechanically operated with a lever just in front of the seat. I used flapper valves from the tractor supply store. There are used to cover the exhaust of equipment that is left out in the weather. I made a high temperature gasket for the flapper and I made all the linkage to open them from inside. Someday I will try to do a tech on this. I think the whole works cost less than $50.

John