Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roller Painting Your Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry67, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerry67

Kerry67

Has anyone ever seen this ?? I have been reading a lot of things about it and some guys say the results are amazing.

http://rollyourcar.com/default.aspx

I don't think I would do it on a real nice car but on my daily driver beater I am think about trying it. Anyone else try it or see it ?

2. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Been hashed over several times on here.
    Do a search, it's good for a laugh.

3. Why go half way? Stucco the car. Sears will give a lifetime guarantee.

4. Kerry67

Kerry67

I actually had a friend who put astro turf all over his Chevette in High School.

5. chia chevette????:eek:

there was a thread about this sometime ago and someone had painted a falcon if i remember correctly , it looked nice in the pics but im not sure what this would look like up close and personal , im sure the paint pros will chime in and it more than likely wont be pretty!:D

6. brandon

brandon

i once lettered a bomber dirt car that was rolled with rustoleum and a foam roller....then rolled out in the sun....it was actually fairly slick...and had a pretty good reflection rate...shocked me it look as good as it did.... brandon:D

7. bryan6902

bryan6902

I've done it on bombers before and it turned out ok. I used implement paint, John Deere yellow. Rolled out nice, looked good enough and was cheap. Just used the hood for my paint pan!

8. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

youuu.. miight be a red ne-.....

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

You can, and I have done this before! The trick is a slow solvent, good
    use of the roller and a dust free drying area. You can use boiled linseed oil
    and mineral sprits , xylene or toluene as solvent. These will allow the enamel to flow, and thus produce less "peel'' over standard refinishing
    solvents. I'd sugest you select a solid colour.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    " Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

10. 62rebel

62rebel

wanna go one better? the British are so restricted in their activity that getting a proper spray job is the result of an Act of Parliamment in most cases, so they actually have used Wagner Power Painters to do home spray jobs. with good prep work and some solid sanding time, they get good results.
    IMHO, paint does not know nor does it care HOW it gets on a surface. whatever result you get out of a paint job is dependent entirely on what effort you put INTO it. Model T's were literally washed down with lacquer in the factory, not even sprayed, and little or no finish work went into them. Ford depended on a nice thick layer of black fast drying lacquer for a shiny finish.

11. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

I would rather spray bomb my daily driver with primer than put forth the effort to do a crappy "roll and tip" boat paint job that looks like I tried to save a buck.

But that's just me. Your results may vary. You may like the Rat Rod look. I prefer the work in progress look.

Mark

P.S. I once heard someone say that if you don't find the time to do it right the first time, when will you ever find the the time to do it right the second time?

12. caddylakman

caddylakman
    from USA

I just did my boat with a roller, oil based KILZ primer, and oil based exterior paint. The primer and paint flex quite a bit, allowing the fiberglass to flex, and it looks awesome. Kinda strange texture, but it works. It's shiny, I used gloss white, but it scratches easy. Easy to touch up though with a roller :)

Not sure it'd look so good on a car, but who knows... with some practice... maybe?

13. blackout

blackout

Ha Ha Ha that's some funny shit there

14. Speedsterinc

Speedsterinc

Model T's were painted with color varnishes, and while the term 'enamel' is frequently encountered, they are not enamels in the modern usage of the term. Color varnish paints were based on drying oils, such as linseed and china wood oils, that are derived from vegetable sources. When exposed to the air, these oils would capture and combine with oxygen, forming a dry, hard, resinous material.:D

Rolling a car can be time consuming depending on how good you want it to look. Like with anything its what you put into it. as to what you get back.
    The cars I have seen that look "good" :rolleyes:painted with this method, have a lot of sanding and paint thinning going on.
    thin the paint a lot and sand in between coats which is usally between 4-7 coats.
    If its a quick roll it who gives a shit look, it can be done very quick and very cheap. a gallon red with hardner is around 30 bucks.
    I painted this car with $30 tactor supply paint sprayed through a cheap 15.00 gravity feed hvlp gun.

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

I could not stop laughing the first time I heard about rolling paint on a car!!! All I could think was - GHETTO!

Then Hot Rod put it on the cover!

16. I saw a Pinto back in the '80s that some wiseguy had coated the whole outside of it with chunky black rubberized undercoating -- extra chunky, sort of like the textured acoustic stuff they spray on ceilings, but black. It looked like a big steaming turd with tail lights.

17. ems customer service

ems customer service

Just wait for the $189 macco sale

18. Ozzie

Ozzie

I about fell out of my chair when I read this, Watch out for that Lifetime guarantee. Paid $3,000 for Sears to Stucco the whole house in 89, by 93, the stucco let the moisture in and not out, I sued, and Sears ended up ripping every piece of real wood siding off my 1937 house, and replacing it all. cost them $45K ( in 1993-4 dollars) and now the house looks pretty sweet!, LOL!

Got to get back to spray painting my 27 Windshield frame.

19. dieselbronco

dieselbronco
    from jamesburg

i painted my daily driver with satin black rustoleum without thinning it i used a foam roller its not perfect but it lookes better than it did

20. pecker head

pecker head

I wouldn't let 3W Larry paint any of my junk !

21. Kerry67

Kerry67

If you look at some of the websites about this, it certainly looks no worse than an Earl Schieb or Maaco Cheap-o-deluxe paint job. I think with proper prep and wetsanding, it would be good enough. I have an 88 Mercury Tracer beater that I drive to and from work and the clear is flaking off all over and the wife thinks it is too beater looking so I am going to try it on that. It can't look any worse. I would not do it on my 56 CHevy............not a chance.

22. I always get a kick out of all the know it alls here that have never even attempted to use a roller but just know it'll look like shit. It's like a band wagon of sheep going over the edge, it takes one guy to say something negative then the rest follow, love it.

23. BLT2DRIVE

BLT2DRIVE

'62 Chevy; Painted it in 45 min., 20 to tape off, 25 to roller it on. $18 @ Home Depot, 1 qt. "aluminum" & 1 qt."anodized bronze". '37 Ford; "satin spruce green" Rustoleum also, but shot with a gun, highlights with a rattlecan. (cover car)

Attached Files:

24. BLT2DRIVE

BLT2DRIVE

Painting a guy a met a bob's el camino sunday. Da 'ing it , then taking the roller to it.....

25. liljgoneman

liljgoneman
    BANNED

i saw somethin about this online and the results were surprisingly good. it seems i remember the guy doin a 70 charger and a bug and they both turned out decent. he used rustoleum and thinned the shit out of it then he wet sanded and buffed it to the point where it looked pretty good.
    i don't think i'd try it on a "good" car but hell, why not give it a shot on somethin ya don't care about too much? worst case scenario, you end up stripping it.....best case, you make the nay-sayers look silly.

26. comp

comp
    from So. IN.

i'm going to do one of my trucks

27. gashog

gashog

I've heard Henry used to paint the bodies with a firehose of sorts. The black lacquer was kept warm and the excess just ran off the cars and back into the vat the guys were standing in. The paint was recirced through a pump back to the hose. Any truth to this?

28. liljgoneman

liljgoneman
    BANNED

lemme know how it turns out comp. i'd like to see a couple pics too if ya can post 'em.:)

29. sinticket

sinticket

They actually would dip model T's in a vats of black paint. Then put blocks of wood under the body making one corner slightly higher all the excess paint would run off. The paint would sheet off very smoothly and the end result would be a smooth paint job. If you notice T's have just as much paint on the inside as they do on the outside. My grandfather was telling me about this. Dont know for sure but that was what I was told? Kindof makes since.

30. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

I have seen pictures of 1920s Model T bodies traveling along the Ford production line hanging from an overhead conveyor and being dipped in a tub of what was called black Japan lacquer.

In the 1930s, it was not unheard of for some master coachbuilders to paint very high-end cars with a brush. As has been pointed out, paint doesn't care how it's put on, as long as the correct amount of it gets to the right places. And you're going to have to color-sand it anyway.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.