Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody ever seen one of these before?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatlandman, Oct 15, 2003.

1. know about the wagons in '46 but seen or even never heard of a coupe conversion...
    Just wonderin' how odd this thing is?

Attached Files:

2. If it is a true "Marmon" it's pretty rare ..., I think "Leno" has the Lakes Marmon that held the land speed record for almost fifty years..., (I could be wrong)! [​IMG]

Check out this site;

http://www.marmonclub.com/prod01.htm

Hope this helps
    [​IMG]
    Mark

3. Just looks like a coupe to me.
    Rare, I think Ford made about a gazillion coupes.

By 4x4 I'm assuming that the ad means 4 wheel drive. It's a conversion as the only 4 wheelers built in that time period were Willys Overland, and Dodge (truck). Ford did make a few jeeps for the military at the beginning of the war, but they lost the contract to Willys.

I guess the fact that it was built by Marmon Herrington might make it rare, I never heard of him before. Of course there are a lot of people I never heard of before.

I'm not up on Canadian Fords or what they might have built in Europe. In that time period.

Is it worth 15,000. I wouldn't give that for it, but I'm cheap. [​IMG]

If it don't make ya dirty it aint yours [​IMG]

4. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

the only one i have seen in person was a 46 woody.

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I think the Michigan DNR used green Mercury woodies, but I've never seen a coupe. It was all the same chassis, however, so the conversion could've been done to any of them. I don't see the point, though.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I actually was consigned to write a story about those conversions, but it fell through after I had gotten half way done. Interesting family, interesting company, and a interesting car... If you have ever seen one up close, you can vouge for how good the quality of work was... Incredible for that era....

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Marmon Herrington made alot of four wheel drive conversions. I have only seen them on trucks and never on a car. If in fact it was a conversion for the military or some other application, it may indeed be rare. I surely wouldn't pay that price unless I had someone standing in the wings ready to take it off my hands. marmon history [​IMG]

8. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

Marmon Herrington did 4X4 conversions for ford, I've seen sedan deliveries, and trucks and heard of a couple coupes and sedans,
    turned down a 48 sedan delivery because of a rust problem for 1500 If that coupe sells for 15,000 then I regret it [​IMG]

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Here's a cool one. Yes it too is a Marmon but also most importantly a WOODIE. [​IMG]

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

PnB-er
    "I guess the fact that it was built by Marmon Herrington might make it rare, I never heard of him before. Of course there are a lot of people I never heard of before."
    Marmon-Herrington was a Coachbuilder...not a he! And they built four-wheel drives under quite a few vehicles as well...
    R-

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Here's more history and another cool woodie.. hemmings

12. Wow these are very very cool! 15k though!, I think you can score a new Kia for that! [​IMG]

13. A cool peice of history. I have seen a wagon up close and Ryan is right. The workmanship was flawless. Seemed like it was born a 4x4.
    Maybe 15 large ain't outta line...thanks for the info and links.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The V8 Times has done several articles on MH Fords. They did many conversions of passenger/commercial chassis, and a different conversion for big Ford trucks. US ones were mostly or all civilian, but many were built as military (some armored) vehicles for South Africa and other Imperial armies during WWII. \The Ford (and Bantam) Jeeps were discontinued after trial numbers in WWII< but Ford then made about as many Willys pattern jeeps as Willys did. Ford GPW=Gen purpose Willys. Not related to MH.
    Ford also made other off-road parts for its 2WD vehicles, mostly for oil companies. There were special Ford cataloged '46-48 fenders to clear huge 13" balloon tires and special radiators/shrouds for desert oil exploration.