Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stuck Motor: What's Your Secret Sauce?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ball and Chain, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

For a motor that is stuck or been sitting forever what do you guys recomend for pouring in to free up the cylinders?

2. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

ATF, it's all I've ever used.

Shawn

3. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

4. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

Coca-Cola.....Pretty scary you drink it too....
    I've seen my cousin create a fitting thats basically a spark plug attached to a grease gun. Watched him break loose a bulldozer engine with it once....

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

ATF here too..and sometimes some PB blaster a shot or two into each moving part will help give it a start.

6. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

white vinegar and ATF. The grease gun trick is cool, but can get messy as a prom date with a hooker on her period.

7. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Real warm diesel makes the trick. So does Coke but diesel is better for real rust buckets

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

thats probably a real good idea..its light (viscosity) it does lubricate, and in time it will probably get in behind everything that is locked up and crusty..i will keep this in the back of my mind and try it next time.
    thanks

9. CaseyK

CaseyK

10. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Years and years ago I bought an Opel Kapitan from an old guy, and it had been sitting in a garage for at least ten years. Engine totally stuck but over all in a good condition. I asked the old dude if I could rent his garage for a month, and he said OK, so a buddy of mine told me the trick with disel. After a month we drove the car out of the garage, guess what face the dude did:: Engine lasted for another month but that's another story. As I remebered I paid like 50 bucks for the car.

11. buddieboy

buddieboy
    from rockwood

pb blaster and gummout gummout only works while it s wet (minits) its going to be nessesary to use a hammer and a block of wood sometimes first sandpaper all the rust from the area above the rings then wash old burt motor oil is a good substanece after you get it moving ok?

12. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Diesel no longer works like it used to since they removed the sulpher from it.

Pull the plugs, and shoot a liberal ammount of PB blaster in each hole. Leave the plugs out. Then pour about 4 small bottles [or one large] of Marvel Mystery Oil down the intake.

Drain the motor oil out of the pan, and mix up about 4 gallons of kerosene with a large bottle of MMO, and fill the pan/motor with it. Let it sit for about a week. Top off each cylinder with MMO as it drains down.

After a week [more time if you can allow], drain the pan, pour in fresh oil, re-install the plugs, and use a breaker-bar in the crank bolt to work it loose.

The coke idea is a bad one. While it will disolve rust, the sugar in it can gum up the rings and cause much larger problems. Vinegar can disolve aluminum :eek:

Good luck!

13. Jet Doc

Jet Doc

14. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

All you're gonna save in the long run is the block, rods, and crank. The pistons probably won't be any good if and when you do get it unstuck. Most likely it'll need bored. So-why not bit the bullet and save some time: destroy thos pistons--a big hole saw gets you started; a hammer and punch or chisel gets you home.

15. budd

budd

combustion chamber cleaner, the kind you spray into the carb of a running engine, just pull the plugs and give her a good spray.

16. Weldemup

Weldemup
    from Central,NY

If the motor is out of the car and all else fails...roll it upside down and pull the pan.
    Buy a chunk of dry ice and chip it up then dump the chipped dry ice inside the pistons.
    The extreme cold will slightly contract the pistons and hopefully break it loose.

17. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

2nd on the Kroil from Kano Labs.I've had good luck on it in motorcycle motors.

18. jonnycola

jonnycola

3rd vote for kroil.

I've never had anything that I couldn't get unstuck with it.

It's expensive, but it's never let me down. NEVER.

19. RacerRick

RacerRick

I have always used diesel, and found it works pretty good. Liberal amounts of penetrating oil have worked also.

I haven't tried it in a few years. Didn't know about the sulfer in the diesel thing.

20. Thats a very good point and its funny too!!

This is a pretty good idea! Never thought of it in this situation.

21. If there is water present i use brake fluid. also have had success using a 50/50 mixture of atf and diesel fuel. We always soak any engine for about a week before trying to start it even if it is not stuck. OldWolf

22. Abomination

Abomination

Coke, overnight.

No, not nose candy... jeez...

~Jason

23. Billet

Billet

Kroil...thats it no reason to have anything else. Can you air frame guys share your experience with mouse milk?

24. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

25. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran into one a while back that no amount of magic potion worked on. I bought a 68 Imperial 440 (too young for HAMB use, right?) about a year ago, tried to turn it using the pry bar on the ring gear method, and got nothing. Soaked it with a variety of swill, including diesel, atf, kerosene, PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, and panther piss. Even after a year it wouldn't budge. Finally got tired of waiting and hung it on the engine stand and started to pull rod caps on the ones I could reach. Even then, I couldn't move the pistons one at a time using an oak limb and BFH. Finally had to resort to the destruction of the pistons, which let me knock about half of them out. Even the wrist pins were siezed in the pistons so bad they wouldn't pivot without using lots of heat. But I did end up with a good RB block, steel crank, and other BBC (in the world I live in, BBC is Big Block Chrysler) goodies.

26. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Still trying to get a 1964 buick 300 unstuck!! I have had MMO in the cylinders for about 2 months now. Had diesel and ATF in there before that. Looks like I am going to have to go the route of a BFH and punch.

27. budd

budd

combustion chamber cleaner, first get all the crap out with a scraper and a vaccum cleaner, tHats if the heads are off, if its that stuck no point leaving the heads on, then spray all around the edge of the pistons, leave it soak down then do it again, try wiggleing the crank some keep doing this for a couple of days and unless its something jamed it will work.

28. Either Marvel mystery oil or Kroil both work very well. Rags

29. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

I havent seen that stuff in a while can you still purchase it?

30. roddinron

roddinron

Marvel mystery oil always works for me, I don't know why though, guess that's the mystery.:)