Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Default Definitive Ranger/Explorer Frame Swap Vehicle List

THE S-10 and Dakota threads have been closed. Please carry on the discussion for those, and for the Ranger/Explorer in the Definitive Chassis Swap Social Group.

Over all the 'net, I've yet to see a thread or post of a list of all the vehicles that have had Ford Ranger or Explorer frame swaps done (it seems like they're far overshadowed by the prevalence of S-10 stuff). I'd love to start one, if only for reference purposes, so it'll come up in searches and has the potential to help a lot of people decide if they really want to do it or not.

This is the second in my series of chassis swap technical posts. Check out the identical, and highly successful (and informative) sister thread on S-10 chassis swaps here (closed 12/24/10):
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=274702

For Dakota chassis swaps, see this thread:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=307020

If'n ya would, everybody post a few vehicles, year/make/model that they've either done or have heard of... maybe rate the difficulty from 1 - 5 (where "1" is easiest, and "5" is hardest). If the mood strikes, feel free to add a pic or link.

Edit:
For people looking for dimensions and measurements, you may want so check out this link: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckBBAS...bodybuild.html Pick a year, and download a .PDF of measurements! These "books" are for aftermarket companies that convert Ford vehicles into ambulances, etc, but you can get your own copy of these and more by checking the following out:

FORD TRUCK BODY BUILDERS LAYOUT PUBLICATION
To obtain a CD copy of this publication disk (first CD copy at no charge), please FAX a written request to "Body Builder Coordinator" and include the desired model year along with your street address (NO. P.O. BOX ADDRESS PLEASE). Dealers - Please print or type clearly and include parts account code. U.S. Orders: FAX to (734) 414 - 2971. Canadian Orders: FAX to (905) 670 - 1798.

THE S-10 and Dakota threads have been closed. Please carry on the discussion for those, and for the Ranger/Explorer in the Definitive Chassis Swap Social Group

~Jason

Last edited by Ryan; 03-11-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: Definitive Ranger/Explorer Frame Swap Vehicle List

Here's what stragedy posted in the S-10 sister thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stragedy View Post
Why stop at the Ford motor ? I have a 52 sitting on a Ford Explorer chassis (same as some year Rangers, and Mercury Mountaineers) and the fit is uncanny. As a side benefit the Expo's from 1995 - 2001 also came with 5.0 motors, simpler that squeezing a 350 onto an S10 (also easy I know). They also have a 8.8 rear with discs and an lsd if you pick the right one.

Mine is a 2000 All Wheel Drive 5.0 with a AODE. It's not done yet, but the cab and sheet metal sits on there very well and just requires some mounts to be fabbed. The AWD's have a full time 30/70 torque split 3.73 gears, the same 8.8 lsd in the back and a Dana 35 up the front. The rear suspension also has upper bars much like the upper bars on a four link to help stop leaf wrap. Torsion bars suspension in the front makes it easy to raise and lower the front..

With gas the way it is right now and explorers having a rep as being pigs for mileage, they are very cheap and a good starting point.

Not trying to hijack a very good thread, but thought it wass worth a mention.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

Here is a picture of mine after I stripped the 2000 Limited Explorer off of it.

This is a great chassis and has huge potential for swaps.

8.8 Leaf spring rear end, with drum brakes or disc depending on year, available gear sets from 3.25 through 4.55 with LSD on some models.

Engines from the factory range from 3.0 and 4.0 V6 through the 5.0 V8, these were the last passenger vehicle to come with the 5.0 and they have the good GT40 heads as stock.

The front end is strong and rated from everything from a light Ranger to a heavy and fully loaded explorer like mine.
Torsion bar front end givees easy lowering or (eeeek) raising. Just run the adjuster bolts in or out. If you need more about 3 inches either height from stock is available by flipping the torsion keys.
Torsion bars are available in several different strengths depending on the vehicle - mine was a fully loaded luxo barge and probably weight close to 5000 pounds, so the torsion bars will be almighty stiff with the bare bones F1 sheet metal on there.

Two wheel base versions are out there 101.7 inches (short cab Ranger and Explorer 2 door)
and 111.6 inches (Super cab Ranger and 4 door Explorers)
Mine being a 4 door has the 111.6 wheelbase, which means it's about 2 inches short of the stock F1. Instead of dicking about with lengthening the chassis, I am just going to drill off the stake pockets cut off two inches from the front of the bed sides and the weld it back together. Since it's chopped and will sit low, the slight shortening will barely be noticeable.

1995 through 2001 have a 59.5 track width.

2002 and later IRS version have a 113.7 inch wheelbase.

Side shit

Cab mounted and sheet metal hung, this shot is with the stock Explorer torsion bars removed and the suspension on the bump stops. It sat with the back of the front fenders about 2 1/2 inches off the ground. I know the wheel is not centered right in this picture, I am remaking the cab mounts to fix this. Those are 16x7 police interceptor wheels from a 2000 Crown Vic.

Spooky how well the rad support and everything fitted in there. Roof chop credit goes to Ben Price here in Atlanta, he did the original cab mount too, but I'm redoing those.

Last edited by stragedy; 08-18-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Sweet!

Any easier than an S-10?

Anybody else running a Ranger chassis?

~Jason

Quote:
Here is a picture of mine after I stripped the 2000 Limited Explorer off of it.

This is a great chassis and has huge potential for swaps.

8.8 Leaf spring rear end, with drum brakes or disc depending on year, available gear sets from 3.25 through 4.55 with LSD on some models.
Engines from the factory range from 3.0 and 4.0 V6 through the 5.0 V8, these were the last passenger vehicle to come with the 5.0 and they have the good GT40 heads as stock.
The front end is strong and rated from everything from a light Ranger to a heavy and fully loaded explorer like mine.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
Horsepower67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
Originally Posted by stragedy
Why stop at the Ford motor ? I have a 52 sitting on a Ford Explorer chassis (same as some year Rangers, and Mercury Mountaineers) and the fit is uncanny. As a side benefit the Expo's from 1995 - 2001 also came with 5.0 motors, simpler that squeezing a 350 onto an S10 (also easy I know). They also have a 8.8 rear with discs and an lsd if you pick the right one.

Mine is a 2000 All Wheel Drive 5.0 with a AODE. It's not done yet, but the cab and sheet metal sits on there very well and just requires some mounts to be fabbed. The AWD's have a full time 30/70 torque split 3.73 gears, the same 8.8 lsd in the back and a Dana 35 up the front. The rear suspension also has upper bars much like the upper bars on a four link to help stop leaf wrap. Torsion bars suspension in the front makes it easy to raise and lower the front..

With gas the way it is right now and explorers having a rep as being pigs for mileage, they are very cheap and a good starting point.

Not trying to hijack a very good thread, but thought it wass worth a mention.

Digging the idea of an AWD F1. Anyone have pics of this project?
Old 08-18-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
Frank02L
FNG

Interesting. My in laws have an older exploder 4wd that would be neat under a F1.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #7
hotrod1940
Old School HAMBer

I have a 51 Ford Pickup and we have a 2003 Mountaineer with the newer suspension. Can't get anything on trade in so we bought a new car and still have the Mountaineer. I wonder???
Old 08-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

The newer Expo/Mounty chassis is a good one also, but has a few things that make it harder to use.
It's a lot wider for one, this makes it tough to get an old truck cab to sit around it, the 51/52 F1 for example would have issues around the front cab mounts.
They are a bit lower than the Gen2 chassis, swapped right over the ride height would end up about 5-6 inches, whereas mine, with stock height explorer suspension and 29 inch diameter tires would sit at 8 inches. That is without altering the floor of the F1 and without messing with the suspension on the chassis which could obviously be lowered.

The 03 Mounty will also have independent rear suspension, which will either be a plus or a negative for you,I wanted a solid rear axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1940 View Post
I have a 51 Ford Pickup and we have a 2003 Mountaineer with the newer suspension. Can't get anything on trade in so we bought a new car and still have the Mountaineer. I wonder???
Old 08-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

Since it's mine, I have a shitload of them. When I get a bit of time I'll post some, the cab is on it at the moment and has been mocked up with full sheet metal before, but I decided I wanted it lower so I'm channeling it a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsepower67 View Post
Digging the idea of an AWD F1. Anyone have pics of this project?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Dude - TOTALLY post more pics!

~Jason

Quote:
Since it's mine, I have a shitload of them. When I get a bit of time I'll post some, the cab is on it at the moment and has been mocked up with full sheet metal before, but I decided I wanted it lower so I'm channeling it a little.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #11
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Exactly... I find myself staring at easy-to-get, cheap/free Rangers that no one's using for a chassis swap and wondering...

~Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank02L View Post
Interesting. My in laws have an older exploder 4wd that would be neat under a F1.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:25 PM   #12
draggin breath

I have a '41 IHC K-1 on a '87 ranger;sits too high,tread width is too narrow;going to remount it on a S-10.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:08 PM   #13
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

True, pre 1992 Ranger use an older chassis which is not as suitable.
1992 thru 1997 use the same chassis as a first generation Explorer, which while OK isn't ideal, but at leasst has the right track width.

The later chassis (easy to spot because of the torsion bar front suspension) is wider and lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin breath View Post
I have a '41 IHC K-1 on a '87 ranger;sits too high,tread width is too narrow;going to remount it on a S-10.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #14
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

Done, scroll back up to my first post this thread. I can take pictures of any part of the chassis someone wants to see, as well as any part of how it's mounted up.

Quote:
Dude - TOTALLY post more pics!

~Jason
Old 08-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #15
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

And THAT is the reason for this thread: so reveal and sort out details such as this, which would normally prevent a guy from using a Ranger chassis, when having someone point out that he should've looked at the post-'92 ones initially would've saved him a lot of grief.

Perhaps one of the reasons the Ranger/Mountaineer chassis isn't used as prevalently as the S-10 is because of situations like this, and one guy tells another guy, and he tells another guy, and pretty soon, before you know it the Ranger is the worst chassis on the planet to use.

Food for thought, man... food for thought.

~Jason

Quote:
True, pre 1992 Ranger use an older chassis which is not as suitable.
1992 thru 1997 use the same chassis as a first generation Explorer, which while OK isn't ideal, but at leasst has the right track width.

The later chassis (easy to spot because of the torsion bar front suspension) is wider and lower.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #16
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Body mounts would be awesome to see... for starters.

~Jason

Quote:
Done, scroll back up to my first post this thread. I can take pictures of any part of the chassis someone wants to see, as well as any part of how it's mounted up.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:34 PM   #17
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Bump for the night time folks!

~Jason
Old 08-18-2008, 11:13 PM   #18
speedtool
BANNED

It's not a real swap, but back in the 90's some southern company made a '36 Ford pickup body kit to fit Ranger frames. They looked great!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:01 AM   #19
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Not to get too far off topic, but just out of curiosity, do you remember the name?

~Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtool View Post
It's not a real swap, but back in the 90's some southern company made a '36 Ford pickup body kit to fit Ranger frames. They looked great!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #20
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

stradegy, I love your wheels.

~Jason
Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #21
pprather
Grenade Inspector

The '36 pickup body and bed for Ranger chassis was produced and sold by:

Thoroughbred Coach Builders, Inc.
Gil Longnecker
Box 171
Mount Dora, FL 32756
or--
21340 S.R. 46
Mount Dora, FL 32757
352-735-4607
www.tbccoach.com

Looks like web site is no longer available.

I bought their information packet, but never proceeded. What I'd like to build is a '56 chev pickup, on a factory chassis. Just waiting for someone to release that cab in 'glass.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #22
fast Ed
Grenade Inspector

Here is some more info for guys looking at this swap ...

All of the Rangers are rear drum. The V6 and SuperCab models generally have 10" drums vs. 9" for a 4-cyl or small V6 reg. cab truck. All 95 - up Explorers (except some of the 2001 - 2002 Sport Trac with the small pickup bed) have rear discs.

Rangers started with the torsion bar front end on 4WD in 1998 model year, the Explorers got that in 1995 with the body style update, 2WD and 4WD. Ranger 2WD had a double A-arm / coil spring front end starting in 1998, except for the "Edge" model from 2001, and the "Sport" model starting in 2006.

cheers
Ed N.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #23
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

FYI, here's some of the differences:

~Jason
Old 08-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #24
fast Ed
Grenade Inspector

And a correction on your WB listings, the SuperCab Ranger is 126" from 98-present. 112" would be a Ranger regular cab longbox (all Ranger SuperCabs are short box). Sport Trac is also 126".

cheers
Ed N.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:59 PM   #25
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Hey, thanks, Ed!

That's just the stuff we're looking for!

~Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
And a correction on your WB listings, the SuperCab Ranger is 126" from 98-present. 112" would be a Ranger regular cab longbox (all Ranger SuperCabs are short box). Sport Trac is also 126".

cheers
Ed N.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #26
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

FYI for the curious:
http://www.gullwingfactory.com/links.htm

~Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by pprather View Post
The '36 pickup body and bed for Ranger chassis was produced and sold by:

Thoroughbred Coach Builders, Inc.
Gil Longnecker
Box 171
Mount Dora, FL 32756
or--
21340 S.R. 46
Mount Dora, FL 32757
352-735-4607
www.tbccoach.com

Looks like web site is no longer available.

I bought their information packet, but never proceeded. What I'd like to build is a '56 chev pickup, on a factory chassis. Just waiting for someone to release that cab in 'glass.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #27
southpaw-customs
Alliance Member

I think Thoroughbred Coach may have changed their name. I had this address saved in my favorites, it is in the same town as Thoroughbred.

http://www.classic36pickup.com/

I was thinking of ordering their packet, but maybe not if they are that unreliable.

Last edited by southpaw-customs; 08-19-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:30 PM   #28
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

Good point, should have known the Super Cabs were longer since I have one !

Quote:
Hey, thanks, Ed!

That's just the stuff we're looking for!

~Jason
Old 08-19-2008, 10:33 PM   #29
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

These are Gen 3 chassis, from 2001 up, they have IRS and the frame shape is significantly different. They use all aluminium suspension arms on the front and have a lower ride height, trade off is a wider frame.

Quote:
FYI, here's some of the differences:

~Jason
Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 PM   #30
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

How much wider, compared to an S-10?

Just curious...

~Jason

Quote:
These are Gen 3 chassis, from 2001 up, they have IRS and the frame shape is significantly different. They use all aluminium suspension arms on the front and have a lower ride height, trade off is a wider frame.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:06 AM   #31
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

Wider than a 1995 - 2001 Explorer (98 and up ranger with torsion bars) not wider than an S10. I knowvery little about S10's...

Quote:
How much wider, compared to an S-10?

Just curious...

~Jason
Old 08-20-2008, 08:46 AM   #32
fast Ed
Grenade Inspector

Also the regular cab short box Rangers are 108, not 102. 2-door Explorers were the only ones at 102, that's why they ride like azz ...

cheers
Ed N.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:43 AM   #33
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

I wonder how one of those 2-door Explorer chassis would do under a Henry J! Plenty of Blazer swaps done...

~Jason

Quote:
Also the regular cab short box Rangers are 108, not 102. 2-door Explorers were the only ones at 102, that's why they ride like azz ...

cheers
Ed N.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #34
dirty petcock
Grenade Inspector

Another one...You guys just don't quit. I love it!! I will just let this one be. Have fun spreading the gospel of "traditional" hot rodding... I guess I just don't get it, and your probably rite. If every post was how to put a model a on 32 rails then I guess this all would get pretty lame.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #35
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

I figured if no one else was talking about it, but lots of us do it, why keep it a "black art", you know? May as well talk about it in the open so folks can either decide whether to do it or not, and if they do, to know how to do it right.

I started looking into this as a way to get a shop truck going in a hurry... but the project I ended up with came with a finished stock chassis, so I'm using it! Funny, how life throws you a curve...

~Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty petcock View Post
Another one...You guys just don't quit. I love it!! I will just let this one be. Have fun spreading the gospel of "traditional" hot rodding... I guess I just don't get it, and your probably rite. If every post was how to put a model a on 32 rails then I guess this all would get pretty lame.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #36
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Anyway folks, there's LOTS of talk about bolting a V8 into an S-10, but what about into a Ranger?

Here you go - the ultimate "how-to" guide - V8 INTO A RANGER THREAD:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...nversions.html

This dude sells all the stuff (and has pretty pictures and more info):
http://www.jamesduff.com/broncoII/v8conversion.html

And Matt Harwood of out sister site the Garage Journal has even built one:
http://www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com/
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...motormount.gif

Enjoy!

~Jason
Old 08-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #37
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

V8 into ranger is incredibly easy if you use a 1998 and up (torsion bar) chassis - since it's the same as the 95 and up explorer which came with a 5.0 the work wass done for you by Ford. The worst part about that conversion is getting headers to fit around the shock towers which are restrictive. Of course if you're throwing this under a rod you don't need to stay with those and they can easier be cut off and moved to allow use of different headers.

To get some off the shelf I used torque monsters, expensive but very nicely made and fit perfectly.

Quote:
Anyway folks, there's LOTS of talk about bolting a V8 into an S-10, but what about into a Ranger?

Old 08-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #38
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Wicked!

Any more pics?

~Jason

Quote:
V8 into ranger is incredibly easy if you use a 1998 and up (torsion bar) chassis - since it's the same as the 95 and up explorer which came with a 5.0 the work wass done for you by Ford. The worst part about that conversion is getting headers to fit around the shock towers which are restrictive. Of course if you're throwing this under a rod you don't need to stay with those and they can easier be cut off and moved to allow use of different headers.

To get some off the shelf I used torque monsters, expensive but very nicely made and fit perfectly.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #39
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Here's a link to a CRAPLOAD of recent info on here about the Ranger rear end:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=287432

~Jason

Last edited by Abomination; 08-23-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:43 PM   #40
71buickfreak

What about a Comet? I have a 62 Comet wagon. I have to repace the floors, so I could easily channel it a little while I am at and drop it on a full frame. I want a modern suspension and I am building a 347 stroker for it. What frame should I look at?
Old 08-20-2008, 10:09 PM   #41
65fordguy

Alright guys I have a question I have been wondering about these...I have a 65 f100...would LOVE to get a modern drive train under it...I have been tossing the idea of putting a ranger chassis under it for about a year...but never really knew if it would work or not...What do you think will it work? The guy that sold the truck to me said its pretty much a bolt on deal. that true?
Old 08-20-2008, 10:16 PM   #42
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

That's a damned good question... Strategy might not know right off, but I'll bet he has an inkling.

~Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buickfreak View Post
What about a Comet? I have a 62 Comet wagon. I have to repace the floors, so I could easily channel it a little while I am at and drop it on a full frame. I want a modern suspension and I am building a 347 stroker for it. What frame should I look at?
Old 08-20-2008, 10:54 PM   #43
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

One thing to remember when picking an axle is that the Ranger have spring over axle, Explorers have axle over spring, so it's easier to get them low.

Also Explorer axle (as mentioned in the linked thread) have larger tubes al the way out 9factory rated at 3000lbs instead of 2750 for the Ranger) and have 31 spline axles instead of 28. It's also easier to find them with limited slips.

I have two explorer and two Ranger ones at the moment... ack.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:55 PM   #44
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

Bronco II's are close to bolt on, but the F150 would be too big I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fordguy View Post
Alright guys I have a question I have been wondering about these...I have a 65 f100...would LOVE to get a modern drive train under it...I have been tossing the idea of putting a ranger chassis under it for about a year...but never really knew if it would work or not...What do you think will it work? The guy that sold the truck to me said its pretty much a bolt on deal. that true?
Old 08-20-2008, 11:00 PM   #45
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

I can measure the chassis I have if you'd like, see if it'd be suitable. I think though that it might sit too high, they (explorer chassis) are great for truck conversion because of the overhang on older trucks.

Quote:
Old 08-20-2008, 11:45 PM   #46
coryw
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty petcock View Post
One of the reasons that early hot rodders put the model A on deuce rails was to get the flathead v8 into the car. Traditionally, rodders made their cars the best that they could with the parts available to them within their financial means. At that time upgrading the chassis to obtain the v8 engine was an economical upgrade. Today, the Exploder (not a typo) chassis is affordable. As for traditional, air bags, super low cars, tattoos and much more isn't traditional either.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:25 AM   #47
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

If people can do an F1, you can do yours. The frames for the 1948 - 1972 trucks are all about the same width - in fact, the rear ends are bolt-in swaps!

~Jason

Quote:
Old 08-21-2008, 08:29 AM   #48
mustangsix

Quote:
Not a Ranger. I looked and it just won't come out right. Comets, Falcons, Mustangs, etc are unibodys with a floor pan that drops below the outer sills. If you set a Comet body on a Ranger (or S10) chassis, you could channel the body over the frame to look right on the outside, but on the inside of the car the floor would be 8" too high because the floor sits on top of the rails and not in between them.

On those cars I think what you need is a perimeter chassis that bulges out in the middle so that the floor pan can settle between the rails.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #49
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryw View Post
Traditionally, rodders made their cars the best that they could with the parts available to them within their financial means.
Which is what I am doing... but please lets not let this degenerate into yet another 'what is traditional ?' thread. Some of us find the info useful, and if you don't, just let it go.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #50
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Like I said on the S-10 thread, maybe some can run out and buy a Pete & Jake's chassis, but that free S-10 is looking WAY nicer to my budget! Gets me on the road faster, and maybe I can spend the money I saved on the motor!

~Jason
Old 08-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #51
coryw
Alliance Member

Quote:
Which is what I am doing... but please lets not let this degenerate into yet another 'what is traditional ?' thread. Some of us find the info useful, and if you don't, just let it go.

That is exactly what I was trying to politely tell dirty petcock. Are you sure you really meant to reply to my post?
Old 08-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #52
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

Yes, but I wasn't trying to be down on you, I just want people who're interested like yourself to stay and contribute, but at the same time not get involved in the the shit talking...

So I guess my comment was aimed more at Petcock and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryw View Post
That is exactly what I was trying to politely tell dirty petcock. Are you sure you really meant to reply to my post?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:52 PM   #53
65fordguy

interesting, I wonder how difficult it would be? any of you guys got any measurements? or know what the differnces are in the wheelbase?
Old 08-21-2008, 11:52 PM   #54
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

Since I've got a 2000 Explorer Chassis in the garage and a 99 4x4 Ranger in the driveway, I can measure whatever you need.

The best one to use, in my opinion would be a 96 or 97 Explorer. Disc brakes on the back, stronger axle 5.0 as an option, but without the sometimes troublesome GT40P heads (just regular GT40's) and no PATS (Ford anti theft stuff).
That way you could use the lot - wiring included.

Just say what measurements you want and I'll size it up, I am working on it tomorrow.

Quote:
interesting, I wonder how difficult it would be? any of you guys got any measurements? or know what the differnces are in the wheelbase?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #55
fast Ed
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
The best one to use, in my opinion would be a 96 or 97 Explorer. Disc brakes on the back, stronger axle 5.0 as an option, but without the sometimes troublesome GT40P heads.
Just FYI, the P heads were a mid-year change on the 1997 Explorer. 11/04/96 should be the production date split. You would be looking for the engine ID tag number of TK-352** or TK-354** for the non-P heads. Tag is usually on the valve cover.

cheers
Ed N.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:35 PM   #56
55 dude
Old School HAMBer

great thread! the cabover in my avitar won't be using the stock frame either so i guess its the waterboard for me, bummer!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #57
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

You know, the Mazda B-Series actually IS a Ranger... maybe those trucks could be had cheaper because folks think they're an import? LOL!

And don't forget the Madza-badged Explorer, the Navajo (1991 - 1994, the earlier, less-desirable frame).

~Jason
Old 08-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #58
HOTRODPRIMER
Alliance Member

Quote:
Here's a link to a CRAPLOAD of recent info on here about the Ranger rear end:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=287432

~Jason
I haven't figured out why a photo of my 32 Ford frame has anything to do with this thread,,,if it's the rear axle,,your wrong,,it's a late sixtys bronco 9". HRP

'54 Ranch Wagon build photos
Old 08-23-2008, 01:45 AM   #59
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Whoops!

I totally pasted the wrong picture!

I'll edit it and swap it out in the morning - sorry, folks.

~Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODPRIMER View Post
I haven't figured out why a photo of my 32 Ford frame has anything to do with this thread,,,if it's the rear axle,,your wrong,,it's a late sixtys bronco 9". HRP
Old 08-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #60
Zapato

my daily drive is a 98 ranger and its an overall comfortable ride , am in the starting stage of doing a 57 ford custom business coupe with late model drivetrain (2002 mustang GT 4.6 5 speed) which really creates some issues such as steering and exhaust. The Ranger swap has been on my mind for some time as some came with 4.6. It does appear to me that one can lower an S-10 a lot cheaper than a Ranger but some explorers (years ?) came with IRS which would be one heck of a sweet ride. So has anyone tried a similar passenger car swap?
Old 08-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #61
fast Ed
Grenade Inspector

Ranger and the earlier (pre-2002) Explorer never came with the 4.6, pretty wide to try to fit in that engine bay. The 02-up 4-door Explorers had the 4.6 optional. That was the first year for the redesigned chassis that included IRS. But the Ranger soldiered on with the previous gen. Explorer style chassis up to current model year.

cheers
Ed N.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #62
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Thanks, Ed!

Adding info like that really does make this post definitive. Likely, there's 125% more info about this in this very thread than there is all over the 'net!

~Jason

Quote:
Ranger and the earlier (pre-2002) Explorer never came with the 4.6, pretty wide to try to fit in that engine bay. The 02-up 4-door Explorers had the 4.6 optional. That was the first year for the redesigned chassis that included IRS. But the Ranger soldiered on with the previous gen. Explorer style chassis up to current model year.

cheers
Ed N.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:34 PM   #63
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Drop that Ranger Chassis!

"How-To"s as well as links to products (even 4-links) and lots of pics here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Drop.html

Here's a 3" Flip Kit from DJM:

They sell LOTS of lowering stuff for the Ranger/Explorer. Here's their link:
http://www.djmsuspension.com/Menus/OpeningMenu.htm

~Jason

~Jason
Old 08-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #64
fast Ed
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Thanks, Ed!

Adding info like that really does make this post definitive. Likely, there's 125% more info about this in this very thread than there is all over the 'net!

~Jason
No problem Jason, later model Ford info is what I can help with (20 year Ford parts guy).

cheers
Ed N.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #65
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Wicked!

And hey, anything you've got to add, go for it!

~Jason

Quote:
No problem Jason, later model Ford info is what I can help with (20 year Ford parts guy).

cheers
Ed N.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:31 AM   #66
Zapato

[QUOTE=fast Ed;3060912 The 02-up 4-door Explorers had the 4.6 optional. That was the first year for the redesigned chassis that included IRS.
cheers
Ed N.[/QUOTE]

So what's the wheelbase and front/rear track width on that 4 door explorer?

And does anyone have frame pictures with dimensions? would make it easier to compare to my stock frame.

Last edited by Zapato; 08-24-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #67
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Strategy might.

If'n you're out there man, hook us up with what you can!

~Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapato View Post
So what's the wheelbase and front/rear track width on that 4 door explorer?

And does anyone have frame pictures with dimensions? would make it easier to compare to my stock frame.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:28 AM   #68
Mudslinger

I saw mentioned Rangers rear ends are axle under the spring.
My wifes 94 Ranger has the axle on top of the spring and the springs are carbon fiber.
Just for those scoring at home.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:40 AM   #69
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Hey Ed, did they change in 1998 or something?

~Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
I saw mentioned Rangers rear ends are axle under the spring.
My wifes 94 Ranger has the axle on top of the spring and the springs are carbon fiber.
Just for those scoring at home.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #70
BeyerAutoSalvage
Grenade Inspector

Not sure if this has been reported yet, and if someone tells me how, I will post pics, but I have a 00 Explorer torsion bar 2wd frame under my 38 Ford pickup, damn neared an EXACT fit. Wheel base is perfect, and the frame taper is nearly identical. Another thing to note, is the AWD / 4x4 frame is identical to the 2wd w/torsion bar frame. Remove or add the front differential as preffered. I can get these frames for Hamb'ers for around $400 complete with rear end. I love this chassis and would (and have) recommend it to any builder.

Dan Beyer
Beyer Auto Salvage
352-463-2002
Old 08-24-2008, 11:03 AM   #71
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Here's pics from Dan he sent me to upload!

Dan, these are awesome, and you're right - it fits pretty good!

Man, anything you want to add, picture-wise or somment-wise about 'em (what was easy, what was hard, etc) you go for it. Hell, email the pics with comments and I'll post 'em up!

Thanks a lot! We really appreciate it!

~Jason

Last edited by Abomination; 08-24-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #72
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

I just cheat and look for the external EGR port. Also the GT40-P's have a 'P' cast into the front of them.

Quote:
Just FYI, the P heads were a mid-year change on the 1997 Explorer. 11/04/96 should be the production date split. You would be looking for the engine ID tag number of TK-352** or TK-354** for the non-P heads. Tag is usually on the valve cover.

cheers
Ed N.

Last edited by stragedy; 08-24-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #73
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

That sounds like an 2wd thing, also the 2 door sport Explorer from 95 to 01 had mono leafs like that, perhaps it'd been converted ? The 4x4 1993 model a friend has has spring over axle and regular springs.

Quote:
Hey Ed, did they change in 1998 or something?

~Jason
Old 08-24-2008, 11:12 AM   #74
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

Finally someone else who's noticed how good this chassis is !
I have two sets of spindles and suspension arms, both 2wd and AWD. Mine is a V8 AWD chassis, but I grabbed all the conversion stuff just in casse I have any issues with breaking the transfer case down the road.

Thats 38 sounds awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyerAutoSalvage View Post
Not sure if this has been reported yet, and if someone tells me how, I will post pics, but I have a 00 Explorer torsion bar 2wd frame under my 38 Ford pickup, damn neared an EXACT fit. Wheel base is perfect, and the frame taper is nearly identical. Another thing to note, is the AWD / 4x4 frame is identical to the 2wd w/torsion bar frame. Remove or add the front differential as preffered. I can get these frames for Hamb'ers for around $400 complete with rear end. I love this chassis and would (and have) recommend it to any builder.

Dan Beyer
Beyer Auto Salvage
352-463-2002
Old 08-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #75
Octamog
FNG

My buddy has a '65 Ranchero on a Bronco II frame. Even has the Bronco dash in it! Cool little truck!

Old 08-24-2008, 09:48 PM   #76
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

I posted a similar link at the sister thread to this on S-10s.

Nobody wants to think about their ride crashing, but here's a link with crash test safety ratings on the Rangers and other light trucks: http://www.iihs.org/news/1998/iihs_news_051298.pdf

This report, from 1998, mentions that the Ranger chassis is in the "acceptable" range, versus the S-10, which has frame rails that buckle. Food for thought...

~Jason
Old 08-25-2008, 12:31 AM   #77
65fordguy

I have been looking around for some information about the 65 f100 frame vs the ranger...havent come up with much...any of you guys got any ideas? Someone mentioned earlier a bronco 2 frame... just wondering if I wouldnt be better off with the 65 frame than the bronco 2.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:15 AM   #78
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

I know from an earlier post that the '48 - '50 F-1/2/3 rear ends are swappable with any up to '72. What's more, they're bolt-ins.

Taking that into account, the frames are likely the same width until they widened them the 1973 model year.

As for pre-'48, I am not sure as to the frame width, but it's got to be real, REAL close...

~Jason

Quote:
I have been looking around for some information about the 65 f100 frame vs the ranger...havent come up with much...any of you guys got any ideas? Someone mentioned earlier a bronco 2 frame... just wondering if I wouldnt be better off with the 65 frame than the bronco 2.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:48 AM   #79
chopd top
Alliance Member

Iíve been watching this thread from the start and I think that I may have found the chassis that Iíve been looking for. I have a 1938 International D2 that Iíve had in the classified section (shameless plug) for about a month now with little serious interest. Iíll give it a few more days, then its back to the stable for it. Since the original frame has some minor issues, Iíve been looking for a late model chassis to slide under it without 2 months worth of major modifications and my 401K being impacted. Iíve done some study on the S10 chassis and actually wound up buying one for another project. Itís the 117Ē standard cab-long bed chassis and would work well in a myriad of older cars and trucks but, the issue I have with it is the forward steering box and the chassis ďballoonsĒ out at the point where older cowl/cab mounts typically attach. Now, I can make damn near anything work and function as it should, but this set-up, in my opinion, is just plain ugly and creates a lot more work than what is necessary. The Explorer chassis that everyone refers to here appears to be the answer. I pulled the measurements and the tracking is dead-on. The Explorer has the bigger brakes, straighter rails and everything else that would make a frame swap with the old corn binder a cinch. With that in mind, Iím focusing on a 2WD, V8, 4 door chassis. From what Iíve read here, the better frames where from 1998-2002 if I wanted the straight rear end and 2002-up if I wanted IRS, is that correct? I know little to nothing about these frames and in the months to come, I may be tapping on some of you for your Genius. While Iím at it, I want to thank Dan and Jason for getting these pictures posted on here, those were pretty much the selling point for me. Great pictures, guys!

Last edited by chopd top; 08-25-2008 at 07:49 AM. Reason: damn spelling
Old 08-25-2008, 09:27 AM   #80
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Thanks, man - that's why this thread was started in the first place. As I've said before, there was a lot of info out there, just not all in the same place... especially about Rangers (and S-10s have been talked to death).

The S-10 isn't too bad a chassis, just not for everybody. If you need any help, check out our S-10 sister thread here:

I'm glad we helped someone! Feel free to start your own progress thread and post a few links in here with some pics every once in a while!

~Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopd top View Post
Iíve been watching this thread from the start and I think that I may have found the chassis that Iíve been looking for. I have a 1938 International D2 that Iíve had in the classified section (shameless plug) for about a month now with little serious interest. Iíll give it a few more days, then its back to the stable for it. Since the original frame has some minor issues, Iíve been looking for a late model chassis to slide under it without 2 months worth of major modifications and my 401K being impacted. Iíve done some study on the S10 chassis and actually wound up buying one for another project. Itís the 117Ē standard cab-long bed chassis and would work well in a myriad of older cars and trucks but, the issue I have with it is the forward steering box and the chassis ďballoonsĒ out at the point where older cowl/cab mounts typically attach. Now, I can make damn near anything work and function as it should, but this set-up, in my opinion, is just plain ugly and creates a lot more work than what is necessary. The Explorer chassis that everyone refers to here appears to be the answer. I pulled the measurements and the tracking is dead-on. The Explorer has the bigger brakes, straighter rails and everything else that would make a frame swap with the old corn binder a cinch. With that in mind, Iím focusing on a 2WD, V8, 4 door chassis. From what Iíve read here, the better frames where from 1998-2002 if I wanted the straight rear end and 2002-up if I wanted IRS, is that correct? I know little to nothing about these frames and in the months to come, I may be tapping on some of you for your Genius. While Iím at it, I want to thank Dan and Jason for getting these pictures posted on here, those were pretty much the selling point for me. Great pictures, guys!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #81
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

This may be of interest. Per:
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/36-f...me-104402.html

"The Ford Ranger frame is best suited to the Bonus Builts (48-52 Ford pick-up). There is a 1" to 1 1/2" difference in the position of the front wheels."

~Jason
Old 08-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #82
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

Chopd,

Gen 2 - 1995 through 2001 (Explorer) and 1998 and up (torsion bar Ranger) are roughly the same chassis, and these are the straight rear axle models.
Gen 3 - 2001 and up is a wider lower frame with IRS, most likely not what you want because of the width.

Gen 2 Explorer with 2wd and a V8 are really cheap these days - they have a bad rep a being gas pigs, even thought they're not that bad. 95 through 97 1/2 have GT40 headed engines 97 1/2 up GT40P's. You can get them really cheap. Let me know what dimensions you need and I can measure some stuff off my chassis if you want.

Quote:
Old 08-25-2008, 10:21 AM   #83
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Here's a thread about an F1 on an '02 Explorer AWD chassis:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=154183

Here's the follow-up thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=174298

~Jason

Last edited by Abomination; 08-25-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:37 AM   #84
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

Abomination, did it occur to you that if I wanted people being directed straight to that picture page i would have posted the link myself ?

Quote:
Lotsa, lotsa pics from the above post - they look very familiar.

http://picasaweb.google.com/stragedy/ProjectTruck

~Jason
Old 08-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #85
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

This project never got off the ground, the guy realized how hard it was going to be and dropped off the face of the earth.
He tried to sell me both the chassis and his F1, decent price too, but I was already quite far into mine.

The picture shown here is my truck with Ben Price, who did my roof chop, no that is NOT me Abomination. Since I don't know if Ben wants to be shown here, can you please take the link down ? *thanks*

Quote:
Here's a thread about an F1 on an '02 Explorer AWD chassis:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=154183

Here's the follow-up thread:

Anybody know this guy?

~Jason

Last edited by stragedy; 08-25-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #86
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

I wondered about that.

I figured you wouldn't mind, as it was a public album, set up so that anyone could see or link to it. But the stuff's deleted (immediately), per request. Sorry, for the misunderstanding - not trying to piss anybody off here.

No offense intended, just looking online and posting every last shred of info I can find, and got carried away!

~Jason

Quote:
Abomination, did it occur to you that if I wanted people being directed straight to that picture page i would have posted the link myself ?

Last edited by Abomination; 08-25-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #87
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Here's a couple of V8 ranger swap forums with loads of pictures and how-tos, as well as links to places to get supplies/parts do do this swap:

http://www.v8-ranger.com/

http://mercuranger.com/

~Jason
Old 08-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #88
chopd top
Alliance Member

Thanks Stragety, much appreciated!!
Now, a wiring question. Let's say I yank that Explorer body off the chassis and leave all the plumbing and drive train intact. I get the body of the corn binder on the new chassis and ready to wire. How big of a deal is it to wire to the existing engine compartment harness from the Explorer? Will I have to just swap over the entire harness from the Explorer or is there some easy trick to plug in an aftermarket harness? I know, the typical route would be to strip everyting off the engine but I was just wondering if there was an easier way of doing it, plug-n-play if you will.

Quote:
Chopd,

Gen 2 - 1995 through 2001 (Explorer) and 1998 and up (torsion bar Ranger) are roughly the same chassis, and these are the straight rear axle models.
Gen 3 - 2001 and up is a wider lower frame with IRS, most likely not what you want because of the width.

Gen 2 Explorer with 2wd and a V8 are really cheap these days - they have a bad rep a being gas pigs, even thought they're not that bad. 95 through 97 1/2 have GT40 headed engines 97 1/2 up GT40P's. You can get them really cheap. Let me know what dimensions you need and I can measure some stuff off my chassis if you want.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #89
chopd top
Alliance Member

I just might do that once I get all the preliminary info that I need and get everthing in line to start. I don't like doing things without a solid plan.

Quote:
Thanks, man - that's why this thread was started in the first place. As I've said before, there was a lot of info out there, just not all in the same place... especially about Rangers (and S-10s have been talked to death).

The S-10 isn't too bad a chassis, just not for everybody. If you need any help, check out our S-10 sister thread here:

I'm glad we helped someone! Feel free to start your own progress thread and post a few links in here with some pics every once in a while!

~Jason
Old 08-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #90
stragedy
Grenade Inspector

There are three trains of though with this. Personally I am trying to use the complete Explorer wiring in it's entirety, but I like factory wiring and all the nice connectors. Mine is a 2000 model and therefore has PATS anti theft stuff on it meaning I will have to use all the solenoids and stuff from the steering column - so I am using the column too.... and on it goes. Mine was also a fully loaded Expo, so it has a ton of extra circuits that I might be able to use for other stuff.

The next way is to use a 95 - 97 non PATS explorer, less headaches all round. If you used a base model Expo you'd have a pretty simple harness.
I have considered getting a 2 door Explorer basic harness adding the 5.0 engine harness that I have and not much else.... we'll see.

Third way is to use an aftermarket style harness and convert the engine to run a distributor from an earlier Mustang or Thunderbird and then use a fairly conventional aftermarket injection setup for a mustang. Controllers are available to drive the electronic transmission, so again no problem there.

It really all depends how comfortable you are cutting and splicing and building a wiring setup.

Quote:
Thanks Stragety, much appreciated!!
Now, a wiring question. Let's say I yank that Explorer body off the chassis and leave all the plumbing and drive train intact. I get the body of the corn binder on the new chassis and ready to wire. How big of a deal is it to wire to the existing engine compartment harness from the Explorer? Will I have to just swap over the entire harness from the Explorer or is there some easy trick to plug in an aftermarket harness? I know, the typical route would be to strip everyting off the engine but I was just wondering if there was an easier way of doing it, plug-n-play if you will.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:01 PM   #91
Moonglow

[quote=morebel;3050544]I think Thoroughbred Coach may have changed their name. I had this address saved in my favorites, it is in the same town as Thoroughbred.

Hmmmmmmmm.
My '93 Ranger may have a new life after all.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:33 PM   #92
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

bigtumtum is posting drawings of bed mounts here:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=283377

Although they're for an S-10 (they're on page 3), you folks doing truck swaps may find them handy!

The few I saw look like you could drop the drawing off (they have measurements) at a machine shop and have 'em made!

~Jason
Old 08-29-2008, 12:35 AM   #93
Zapato

Stragedy if you could take a couple measurements on that explorer chassis. Outside width of rails at midpoint or around say mid door and same at the rear. Also some of the rear suspension pockets appear to be above frame height, how much? And if you could provide front and rear track width would be helpful.
TIA

Zap
Old 08-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #94
dotcentral
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by morebel View Post
I think Thoroughbred Coach may have changed their name. I had this address saved in my favorites, it is in the same town as Thoroughbred.

I was thinking of ordering their packet, but maybe not if they are that unreliable.
I see no mention of price for the kits, just for the brochures. My dad has talked about doing one, but I bet the price would scare him off.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #95
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

LOL! No doubt!

All of us guys that posted links to them all posted links to the same place, by the way.

~Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcentral View Post
I see no mention of price for the kits, just for the brochures. My dad has talked about doing one, but I bet the price would scare him off.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #96
ems customer service

we have had some of the guys who call here say they put the ranger chassis under a 40 ford coupe was told it works ok except the rear floor were it rises over the axle gets notched to allow for frame clearence. but alot of the callers use s/10 or ranger frame this whole concept is very popular

p.s. i like the idea of the all wheel drive frame, gonna be looking for those
Old 08-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #97
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

FYI, we've been exploring a type of universal mount in the S-10 sister thread to this one:

ANd to a greater extent here:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...=283377&page=4

bigtumtum has been making and posting bracket blueprints, and some of them seem like they'd be pretty universal, save for the holes.

To make them truly universal, I suggested slotted holes for the cab mounts for example. He suggested making the tops of the brackets have the same bolt pattern, allowing you to drill out your custom bolt pattern for your application, and bolt it to the bracket top.

Check out the second link to see what he's talking about.

I'd come up with an "open source" truck swap idea. I thought it would be cool if someone posted a blueprint of a topless universal body, bed or cab mount online free for all, then folks could submit drawings of the mods they did to it to see if over time a library of sorts could be built up for about every custom application. Since everyone uses the same bracket, but has a different plate with their bolt pattern bolted to the top of them, it's certainly a do-able plan!

~Jason
Old 08-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #98
The Big M
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
I'm quite sure that a Bronco II would be way too short since it has a 94" wheelbase. You'll need a frame with a wheelbase of 113"-114" for your shortbed flareside.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:00 PM   #99
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

BTT M'r F'n top for Labor Day! Whoo Hoo!

~Jason
Old 09-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #100
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Quick bump - why should the S-10 thread have all the fun?

~Jason
Old 09-16-2008, 09:29 AM   #101
chopd top
Alliance Member

Well, I sold the corn binder over the weekend so this chassis swap won't happen for me but the young lad that I sold it to was all ears when I was telling him the idea about it. I told him about this post and the knowledgeable folks on here so don't be surprised if ya get the lad on here and he wants to pick yer brains about this swap. Y'all are the best!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CL11.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	499213  
Old 09-16-2008, 11:01 AM   #102
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

No, chopd top... YOU'RE the best.

~Jason

Quote:
Well, I sold the corn binder over the weekend so this chassis swap won't happen for me but the young lad that I sold it to was all ears when I was telling him the idea about it. I told him about this post and the knowledgeable folks on here so don't be surprised if ya get the lad on here and he wants to pick yer brains about this swap. Y'all are the best!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #103
Zapato

Still hoping to get these dimensions, anyone have them? Thanks!

Quote:
Stragedy if you could take a couple measurements on that explorer chassis. Outside width of rails at midpoint or around say mid door and same at the rear. Also some of the rear suspension pockets appear to be above frame height, how much? And if you could provide front and rear track width would be helpful.
TIA

Zap
Old 10-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #104
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

You might try sending Stratagey a PM or regular 'ol email. I don't have access to a chassis at the moment.

Kudos for giving away that 3x2, man.

~Jason

Quote:
Still hoping to get these dimensions, anyone have them? Thanks!
Old 10-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #105
R A Wrench
Grenade Inspector

The company is Thoroughbred Coach Builders INC. P.O.Box 171 Mount Dora FL. 32757
Phone # 352 735 4607. Their package was for a 36 pickup onto an 83 Ranger long wheel base. That is the regular cab, long box. They are still around as they advertise in Hemmings.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #106
bigtumtum

Quote:
bigtumtum is posting drawings of bed mounts here:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=283377

Although they're for an S-10 (they're on page 3), you folks doing truck swaps may find them handy!

The few I saw look like you could drop the drawing off (they have measurements) at a machine shop and have 'em made!

~Jason
Jason.. you know if you send me a scetch-drawing i will make a nice drawing for you.. i realy enjoy the swap all kinds because it gives me so much ideas for example i was talking on the S10 swap that i want to try Nylon for the rubber mounting now i have found on my work rubber round 110mm im going to use that Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0274.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	526449

Name:	CIMG0275.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	526450
Old 11-08-2008, 07:01 AM   #107
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Believe it or not, my lawnmower's engine is mounted with nylon.

~Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtumtum View Post
Jason.. you know if you send me a scetch-drawing i will make a nice drawing for you.. i realy enjoy the swap all kinds because it gives me so much ideas for example i was talking on the S10 swap that i want to try Nylon for the rubber mounting now i have found on my work rubber round 110mm im going to use that Attachment 526449

Attachment 526450
Old 11-08-2008, 07:08 AM   #108
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Here's some info on rear ends:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=188849

~Jason
Old 11-08-2008, 07:22 PM   #109
moefuzz
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
And THAT is the reason for this thread: so reveal and sort out details such as this, which would normally prevent a guy from using a Ranger chassis, when having someone point out that he should've looked at the post-'92 ones initially would've saved him a lot of grief.

Perhaps one of the reasons the Ranger/Mountaineer chassis isn't used as prevalently as the S-10 is because of situations like this, and one guy tells another guy, and he tells another guy, and pretty soon, before you know it the Ranger is the worst chassis on the planet to use.

Food for thought, man... food for thought.

~Jason

Great Post Guys,

Two Thumbs Up and a 'tip of the hat'

-------------------------------------------

Hey, did you guys know that the old Flathead Forum is Moving?

The All New/Old Flathead Forum....

don't forget to checkout the Tech Section....

Last edited by moefuzz; 11-09-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #110
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Thank you, Sir. And a return tip-O-'th-hat to you and your penguin buddies down in Antarctica.

~Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by moefuzz View Post
Great Post Guys,

Two Thumbs Up and a 'tip of the hat'

Old 11-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #111
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Posted by TagMan here:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=172723

I'm posting it up for others. It's beautiful!

Enjoy!

~Jason

TECH: Lifting a Pick-up cab off the frame

I finished the mock-up on my '46 Chevy 1/2T and started tearing it apart. I got down to lifting the cab off, but nobody was around, so I used what I had available. Maybe this has been done before and I just "re-invented the wheel", but maybe it'll help somebody ......

First off I found a 2"x6" about 6' long, measured it, marked the mid-point and drilled a 3/8" hole about 1-1/2" from the edge.

I then made up a bracket out of 3/16" steel scraps I had laying around and welded it together.

I next took a 12" scrap of square tubing, that just fit inside the boom on my cherry picker, and welded the bracket to one end of it. I inserted the tubing into the boom, marked & drilled a 3/8" hole for a bolt to secure it. The bracket had to be tall enough to allow the beam to pivot and stay level as the boom was raised.

I screwed on a couple of small angle iron scraps on opposite edges of the 2"x6", to prevent and slipping, and covered them with a piece of bicycle tubing and taped 'em with electrical tape.

I then moved the balance beam into position and, after a couple of tried to balance the cab, lifted the cab and pulled it off the chassis. I previously had made up a dolly for the cab, making sure the legs of the cherry picker would fit under it, so I laid the cab on the frame and bolted it in. Worked like a charm and I saved calling in some favors for something important !!

Here's a few pics that'll prolly explain it way better than I tried to with words - hope it helps...............................

...I was also a little concerned about stability, but was amazed at how well it stayed balanced, even when rolling it around, hanging from the cherry picker - never wavered a bit.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #112
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Dude!

Ford is actually SUING The Ranger Station ( http://www.therangerstation.com/ ) over trademark infringement! WTF?!?
http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-rep...ingements.html

They're about the best Ranger forum out there!

~Jason
Old 12-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #113
HOTRODPRIMER
Alliance Member

Looks like I will be thinking about the explorer swap with the ol' 48 ford truck that has been hibernating in the barn for the past few years,,,

We just put a new jasper engine in my daughters explorer and with less than 50 miles it was stolen and wrecked,,,she had just carried the baby in the house and got her fed and didn't think about the keys,,,

Not my first pick for a hot rod but we got too much cash in the V6 engine and she didn't have colission,,so I'm Kinda screwed,,,

We carried it to the auction and some nice guy offered us 500 bucks,,,so it didn't sell,,,HRP

I won't be starting this project right away but I will keep an eye on this thread. HRP

'54 Ranch Wagon build photos
Old 12-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #114
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

I have a '50, but I actually kept the stock chassis, as it was completed when I bought it!

Make sure to look over this thread - and to look at any links to The Ranger Station forum ASAP before they take it down. Jere's the letter Jim (the guy that runs it) sent out last night:

Dear Member,

I appologize for this email. I don't normally email the members but this is an emergency.

Today, (December 9, 2008) I received a letter from the law offices of Howard, Phillips & Andersen that represent the Ford Motor Company. Ford is forcing us to surrender the name 'therangerstation.com' to them and stop using it. Ford states that using the name 'Ranger' when used in reference to the Ford Ranger is a trademark violation. In addition they are wanting me to pay them $5,000.

As you may know, The Ranger Station has been around for the past 10 years and has been a valuable resource to Ranger enthusiasts.

If Ford does this to us, where will they stop?

I have 10-days to surrender the name and pay them $5,000. I'm asking that you contact Ford online and ask them to reconsider making us change our name and prohibiting us from using the word 'Ranger'.

You can contact them at:

https://secure.ford.com/footer/conta...=PublicAffairs

a sample of what one of the members wrote is:

"To whom it may concern:

I am writing concerning your recent legal attacks on various "fan" websites for vehicles such as the Mustang and Ranger. I am insulted by this careless misuse of our legal system and am reconsidering any further vehicle purchases from your company until you cease and desist from any further legal action concerning this subject. I have been a Ford owner for many years and I had hoped to stay that way. These attacks are morally wrong since they are geared towards your customers, and do not instill the least bit of confidence in your brand. For the sake of your business, I ask you to please reconsider immediately.

Thank you."

Thank you for your support and I applogize for this email.

Jim Oaks
TheRangerStation.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODPRIMER View Post
Looks like I will be thinking about the explorer swap with the ol' 48 ford truck that has been hibernating in the barn for the past few years,,,

We just put a new jasper engine in my daughters explorer and with less than 50 miles it was stolen and wrecked,,,she had just carried the baby in the house and got her fed and didn't think about the keys,,,

Not my first pick for a hot rod but we got too much cash in the V6 engine and she didn't have colission,,so I'm Kinda screwed,,,

We carried it to the auction and some nice guy offered us 500 bucks,,,so it didn't sell,,,HRP

I won't be starting this project right away but I will keep an eye on this thread. HRP
Old 02-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #115
AustinPhoenix
FNG

Has there been any activity lately?

I have a 94/95 ranger at the house that I am going to investigate now that this thread was started. I'm beginning a 52 Chevy coupe project and would love to upgrade the suspension/chassis/brakes in one single cheap blow. BWAH HAHAHAHAAA!!

I'll take some measurements of the frame rails and such and try to post tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #116
in2hotrods
FNG

Quote:

For people looking for dimensions and measurements, you may want so check out this link: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckBBAS...bodybuild.html Pick a year, and download a .PDF of measurements! These "books" are for aftermarket companies that convert Ford vehicles into ambulances, etc, but you can get your own copy of these and more by checking the following out:

~Jason

There's not a PDF for 2003 or later explorer with independent rear suspension. There is one for 2003 ranger and later but from what I've read here those are just carrying over from the earlier explorer with leaf spring rear.

Anybody got a 2003 or later explorer frame with the independent rear suspension? I am interested in many measurements but specifically the width measurement of the frame at the rear axle center line.

Would be nice to see a picture of how that all connects as well.

These alternative frame threads are great for getting parts turned back into projects, and eventually hot rods!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #117
olyrailman
FNG

Can you send me pics of how the cab sets on the frame
I trying to get info on what frame would work best for a retro on a 49 FORD F2 CAB
the bed is shot.
I realy like the look, Real Nice
My Email is: jimr1963@gmail.com
Thanks for the help..
olyrailman
Old 03-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #118
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

As mentioned in another thread, find a '67 - '72 F250 chassis. It may work better for your needs...

And sell what bed parts you can before you scrap - even small pieces of the Express bed are hard to come by.

~Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyrailman View Post
Can you send me pics of how the cab sets on the frame
I trying to get info on what frame would work best for a retro on a 49 FORD F2 CAB
the bed is shot.
I realy like the look, Real Nice
My Email is: jimr1963@gmail.com
Thanks for the help..
olyrailman
Old 05-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #119
Zapato

Anyone know if Ranger 2WD front spindles or A-arms will swap straight into a 96 4WD front end? Want to end up with 2WD but got too sweet a deal on a 4WD rig and it seems like 2WD explorers are a bit scarce around here.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #120
fast Ed
Grenade Inspector

2WD Rangers were still I-beam front end through 1997. Then everything was revised in 1998 on the Rangers. The 4WD got the same style front end as the 95-up Explorers (which used a torsion bar setup for 2WD and 4WD), while the 98-up Ranger 2WD got double A-arms.

So what combination of chassis and suspension (year and vehicle) are you thinking about trying to mix?

cheers
Ed N.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #121
Zapato

95 explorer chassis with 98 up Ranger trying to end up with a 2wd setup or anything else mustang etc....
Old 05-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #122
borntowrench
FNG

Just take the front diff and the axles out, instant 2WD
Old 05-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #123
fast Ed
Grenade Inspector

That might take some fabbing or modifying anyway, since the Explorer frame never had the 2WD Ranger style suspension. Unless you can find measurements in a collision manual or something, you may to have to just eyeball it yourself to know for sure.

We don't have a bodyshop at the dealership I work at, otherwise I might be able to get some more info.

cheers
Ed N.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #124
Eddie
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2hotrods View Post
There's not a PDF for 2003 or later explorer with independent rear suspension. There is one for 2003 ranger and later but from what I've read here those are just carrying over from the earlier explorer with leaf spring rear.

Anybody got a 2003 or later explorer frame with the independent rear suspension? I am interested in many measurements but specifically the width measurement of the frame at the rear axle center line.

Would be nice to see a picture of how that all connects as well.

These alternative frame threads are great for getting parts turned back into projects, and eventually hot rods!
03 Explorer, 4 door, 2wd, 4.0 SOHC, AOD:

Width over centerline of rear axle is approx.47 inches (as measured from outside to outside of spring seat socket since that is wider than the frame itself).

Main portion of frame is approx. 45&1/2 inches overall width as measured about 9 inches rear of leading edge of front door to 17 inches forward of rear wheel opening. This portion of frame appears to be level and straight from front to rear.

Track width measures 60&1/2 inch with stock wheels however this was measured with wheels hanging (on a frame lift) so would be somewhat more when loaded and on ground.

I don't know how to post pics, so if anyone wants them PM me your e-mail address and tell me what you need and you post them. BTW, this thing is for sale.

Hope this helps, Eddie
Old 07-29-2009, 01:38 AM   #125
MScott
FNG

Interesting thread. There was mention of a 34-6 Ford body for the Ranger chassis. US Body also have a fiberglass 40-47 body available which is designed to fit on a 83-93 Ranger chassis. Their web site is http://www.usbody.com/
Old 02-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #126
Frosty21

I got a '94 Eddie Bauer edition, 4x4, 4.0 v6, given to me. How much trouble is the body to remove from these things?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #127
countryboy1
FNG

"I got a '94 Eddie Bauer edition, 4x4, 4.0 v6, given to me. How much trouble is the body to remove from these things? "

Frosty21, I did a complete swap of an explorer (1998 sport, and turned it into a 99 XLT) they were very simple to removed the body, i had everything tore down it about 8 hours, i did not save many of the parts from the 98 though as it was a wreck only the motor and tranny and on fender were saved. I also used a loader to lift the body off, simply take the rear window out and slide the loaders forks through and lift, and you are left with a rolling chassis.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #128
countryboy1
FNG

I have a frame from a 1999 xlt still, what are the thoughts out there on Mounting a 1950 dodge on it, I know the mopar fellows may have a coronary over using a motor/drive train from ford to power a dodge, but i am considering it let me know what anyone thinks, or even better if anyone has ever attempted or done it for the dodge
Old 02-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #129
Frosty21

The motor is blown up, and the transmission is out. I don't think its worth stripping the body off for the rolling chassis, as its the pre-torsion bar 4wd set-up.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #130
olyrailman
FNG

Say will a 49 F2 fit on a 1998 Ranger Frame????
Old 05-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #131
48prerunner
FNG

I have a 48 f-1 with f-2 fenders mounted up on a 91 4 door explorer frame just ahd to cut the distance of the stake pockets off the bed and shorten it up. Used the explorer pedals and steering column also.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #132
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Maybe not your bed...

~Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyrailman View Post
Say will a 49 F2 fit on a 1998 Ranger Frame????
Old 05-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #133
wrong generation
Grenade Inspector

is there any one that actualy has a 53-54 f100/f250 mounted on an explorer or ranger chassis ?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #134
chrisser
Grenade Inspector

Quote:

Edit:

FORD TRUCK BODY BUILDERS LAYOUT PUBLICATION
To obtain a CD copy of this publication disk (first CD copy at no charge), please FAX a written request to "Body Builder Coordinator" and include the desired model year along with your street address (NO. P.O. BOX ADDRESS PLEASE). Dealers - Please print or type clearly and include parts account code. U.S. Orders: FAX to (734) 414 - 2971. Canadian Orders: FAX to (905) 670 - 1798.

~Jason
I saw this link and mistakenly thought you had to send for the pdfs

turns out that when you click on the link for a model year (like 1999) and ignore the verbiage, there's a table of contents link. If you click that, you get to the PDFs.

I don't know if anyone else made the same mistake I did.

Here's a direct link to '99 ranger drawings and data:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckBBAS...1999/62_63.pdf

and Explorer

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckBBAS...1999/60_61.pdf

I've been looking at S-10 swaps for a project, and while they're otherwise a preetty good match, the steering box up front was a major obstacle. I believe the ranger/explorer are R&P.

The info isn't as nicely presented as the GM books for the S-10, but still better than having to go to the junkyard with a tape and a pad of paper...
Old 08-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #135
Bigcheese327
Alliance Member

Quote:
You know, the Mazda B-Series actually IS a Ranger...
Not for all years, though, right? I have an '86 B2600 and I don't think it's Ford based.

-Dave
Old 08-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #136
62rebel

so, i'm understanding that my gen1 exploder with it's blown POS A4LD tranny might be useful after all?

i'm more than willing to ditch ALL the engine/trans portion and slip a 302/C4 in it if possible, and slide it under something more interesting.
if only to have more modern brakes and steering.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:25 PM   #137
hotroded
Alliance Member

What's the width and length on those early rangers think they would be good for a track roadster setup
Old 09-26-2010, 10:44 PM   #138
Wild_47
Grenade Inspector

Whew, Finally read through the whole thread. Thought I would share my explorer swap.

91 4 door Explorer 4x4, 47 ford cab and hood, 41 merc front fenders.

Fits pretty good for as far as I have gotten. I cut and raised the floor under the seats 3" to allow some clearance for the transfer case. Used parts of the firewall from the explorer while mating up the firewall and floor. Still need to slide the cab and fenders back another inch or two but its lining up not too bad.

Last edited by Wild_47; 09-26-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #139
papawfalcon
Grenade Inspector

Thread three weeks old but oh well.I read where it is suggested not to put a RANGER or s-10 frame under a FALCON. I have a '62 RANCHERO and would like a RANGER frame for modern supension.It was said that on frame would be on top the other. How about using RANGER floor pans and wheel base adjustment by changes to the quarter panel? Bitting off to much? Thanks Ken N.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #140
Onemansjunk
Grenade Inspector

Wild 47 ----I like that 41 merc sheet metal combined with your cab !!!! nice chop too!!!!!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #141
koolkemp
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by papawfalcon View Post
Thread three weeks old but oh well.I read where it is suggested not to put a RANGER or s-10 frame under a FALCON. I have a '62 RANCHERO and would like a RANGER frame for modern supension.It was said that on frame would be on top the other. How about using RANGER floor pans and wheel base adjustment by changes to the quarter panel? Bitting off to much? Thanks Ken N.
If I had to do this swap I would cut everything out of the rancheros underneath channel it over the new chassis and build new floors front to back, lottsa work

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=466490
Old 10-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #142
dw6770
FNG

Has anyone tried a 1937 Ford Coupe on a Explorer or Ranger Frame? I have a 37 coupe with a bad frame. Thought I would try a 95-01 Explorer.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #143
hotroddon
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
That might take some fabbing or modifying anyway, since the Explorer frame never had the 2WD Ranger style suspension. Unless you can find measurements in a collision manual or something, you may to have to just eyeball it yourself to know for sure.
We don't have a bodyshop at the dealership I work at, otherwise I might be able to get some more info.
cheers
Ed N.
My 91 Explorer 2wd had the Twin I Beam, same as pre 98 Ranger. I used Suspension Techniques drop beams to lower it.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #144
Nick_R_23
Grenade Inspector

Is there a difference in the frames/suspension of a V8 Explorer from 95-01 versus whatever else they came with (v6's?) ?

How well do you guys think an Advance Design Chevy 1/2 ton would work on a 95-01 2wd V8 Explorer frame? Id have to extend the frame of course. Id had another frame planned to swap under my truck, but after seeing pics of the Explorer frame in this thread, I think one of those might work better.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:38 AM   #145
CHARLIE_HUSTLE

Ive got a '59 f100 & would love the upgrade of brakes , steering & suspension. Anyone know if this will work for me? How close to bolt on can i expect?
Old 12-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #146
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

The S-10 chassis swap sister thread was closed yesterday. FYI.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #147
SeniorBliss
FNG

I have a '42 Ford super deluxe and want a modern chassis.

I have 2 enigne/trans options

1. Brand new small block Buick v6 that is a high performance motor and a Turbo 350 trans w/3500 rpm stall (bought for a song on a whim). They are both ZERO miles, car-show quality but NOT Ford.

2. 5.0 V8 and AOD from a 90's Lincoln with about 80K on it.

Best options? Thought?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #148
joelocke
FNG

OK, I'm actively shopping for an explorer to swap the chassis out for my 48 ford coupe. I understand that the easy engine hook-up would be 95-early 97 four door, v8, with 2wd. I also am under the impression that there are aftermarket wireing harnesses that will allow me to use a newer model. Questions:
1) are my assumptions correct so far?
2) How new can I go before the frame changes? I understand the very new Explorer's are unibodys, so obviously I cant go that new.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 12-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #149
completogrande
FNG

hey guys.. ok so im totally new to all of this,....this site... these cars.... etc.. but i bought a 47 ford 1 ton...... and after seeing all the cool stuff.... i was thinking of just trying to swap the chassis.... i finally got the flat head running and i rebuilt the carb and fuel pump.. its running now so cool.. i got a stuck waterpump.. but might have free'd it up today...now...but with the split rims... brakes.. suspension..... here is the question.. i want to drive the thing and although the flat head is cool.... will the ranger or explorer chassis work....? do you keep the colum do you got to relocate stuff. do you use the same firewall???? these are all questions i have no idea about.. ill take a pic.. of what i got... and just by a fluke... i recieved a 2001 explorer today for free running
Old 12-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #150
the renegade
FNG

has anyone try'd to put the Explorer ac system under the dash of a 50's style truck

Last edited by the renegade; 12-22-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #151
BULLFROGG
Grenade Inspector

I know it's been a while, but Any updates on what's you guys got done.?
Old 09-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #152
BULLFROGG
Grenade Inspector

Brought my donor home today.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTJJ1346561257.441982.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	1729763
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByTJJ1346561274.961844.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	1729764  
Old 09-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #153
BULLFROGG
Grenade Inspector

A little progress...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByTJJ1346643008.314268.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	1730672  
Old 12-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #154
1940 3/4 ton
FNG

hey guys,new to the sight ,can anyone send pics or advice on mounting 40 ford cab on ranger chassis.ie front cab locations and channeling the rear
Closed Thread